Welcome to the February 2021 edition of AppleVis Unlimited, our monthly series which highlights what’s new and noteworthy on the AppleVis website. Below, you’ll find a selection of the best content posted to AppleVis by members of the community - from new app entries, to app updates, to the latest news and podcasts. For easier navigation, the major sections of this post are at heading level 3, and each individual item is at heading level 4.
New and Noteworthy App Entries
Blinded Chef (iOS/iPadOS, US$0.99)
Audio game fully accessible to blind and visually impaired people.
Blinded Chef doesn’t use Voice Over, so you should turn it off.
Take control of a chef and lead him from a street hot dog vendor to a head chef in a restaurant. Test your hearing, reaction and memory! Play, cook, find new dishes and earn achievements. For those who find the game too easy, there is a hardcore mode inside.
Inside you will find:
- 5 dishes
- normal and hardcore modes
- random trial
- Listen and remember which ingredients you need to make a dish, swipe in the appropriate direction to select the required ingredient and confirm your choice with a swipe up.
- All ingredients are in different groups and the more complex the dish, the more groups and ingredients.
Current Version: 1.0 (February 27, 2021)
DeyesFree (watchOS, Free)
What is DeyesFree?
DeyesFree is a simple dice roller app, designed for allowing users to play simple dice games with nothing but the Apple Watch.
What makes DeyesFree different?
- The app announces dice rolls in clear, human speech. No more looking at the app display while trying to play your game. Focus your eyes on the game instead.
- Change the desired number of dice faces or number of dice with a swipe. The app will announce your new dice configuration.
- This app has been designed from the ground up to be accessible by everyone. A certified Accessibility specialist has vetted this app to ensure usability and compliance with all applicable standards.
Simply swipe left and right to choose the number of faces for your dice, swipe up and down to choose the number of dice you wish to roll. Tap anywhere on the screen with one finger or shake your watch to roll the dice. It’s that simple!
Current Version: 1.2 (February 23, 2021)
Mp3tag (macOS, US$19.99)
Mp3tag is a powerful and easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of audio files. Musicians, DJs, podcasters, and audio-enthusiasts use it for many different aspects of handling audio files.
It supports batch tag-editing for multiple files at once, covering many audio formats from MP3, over MP4, and M4V (yes, that’s video!) to FLAC, OGG, OPUS, AIF, DSF, MPC, and WAV.
Furthermore, it supports online database lookups from Discogs and MusicBrainz, allowing to gather proper tags and download cover art for music libraries.
It offers renaming files based on the tag information, replacing characters or words in tags and filenames, importing tag information, and adjusting the size and image format of embedded cover art.
Since some of the tasks in managing a digital library are repetitive, Mp3tag allows for combining tasks into action groups, which serve as workflows for keeping consistency and order. Examples are formatting tag fields, performing case conversion, removing unwanted fields, or adjusting embedded cover art to match required sizes.
Current Version: 1.0.1 (February 26, 2021)
Palabra Cadabra: The Anagram Game (iOS/iPadOS, US$2.99)
Palabra Cadabra, the Anagram Game is the new multilanguage game in which your mind will be put to the test. Can you discover the words inside other words to score points and increase the tension of the music?
- The clock is ticking! Tick tack… You have 60 seconds to discover the anagrams inside a word, and earn more time when you discover each one;
- The music and rhythm complexity change as your score increases;
- Listen to sound effects which inform you of your score, mistakes and time remaining;
- Are you learning Spanish or Catalan? Change the language of the words right from within the app without changing your device language (more languages soon!;
- brag about your highest scores with your friends;
- Use your Bluetooth keyboard or the big onscreen keyboard provided;
- Fully accessible to voiceover users and persons with and without disabilities.
Current Version: 2.0.1 (February 15, 2021)
Serania (iOS/iPadOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Escape the Blackblades and search for answers about your mysterious past in this new, fresh take on the text-based role playing genre.
You can play the first 1/4 of the game for free. If the game is for you, you can buy access to the full story.
Experience the adventure in a flow that never gets too heavy. You are free to explore the world of the story and build your character.
Meet other characters, manage your inventory, go on missions and fight deadly battles. Follow the clues and find out the truth about your ancestry.
Current Version: 1.1.8 (February 24, 2021)
Space Wave Race (iOS/iPadOS, US$2.99)
Only the true heroes of space can become champions of Space Wave Race: the intergalactic championship that will take you to challenge the best pilots in the galaxy!
LISTEN, MOVE AND SHOOT TO BEAT YOUR ENEMIES IN THE GREAT SPACE RACE
Fly through a myriad solar systems, space ruins, unknown engineering structures, asteroids and incandescent stars to win the battle. Be the first in this intrepid running race fighting your enemies. Prove what galactic material you are made of!
Enjoy the experience playing with different spaceships designed for battle. Unlock more spaceships by playing the game.
Includes several game modes with different complexities and gameplay: Championship Mode, Single Race Mode, Endless Galactic Mode.
Space Wave Race has been developed to be fully accessible, including modes for players with reduced mobility, visual and/or hearing impairment and dyslexia. Expressly created to enjoy the experience without losing a single detail in all conditions.
Current Version: 1.5 (February 3, 2021)
All recent app entries posted to AppleVis can be found at:
Notable App Updates
Microsoft OneDrive (iOS/iPadOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Microsoft OneDrive keeps your photos and files backed up, protected, synced, and accessible on all your devices. The OneDrive app lets you view and share OneDrive files, documents, photos, and videos with friends and family. You can use the app to automatically back up your phone’s photos and videos. Start with 5 GB of free cloud storage or upgrade to a Microsoft 365 subscription to get 1 TB of storage.
Current Version: 12.19.5 (February 24, 2021)
Notable changes in Version 12.16–12.9.5
- The PDF viewer was failing to read out the contents of files with VoiceOver. This bug is now fixed and you can once again use VoiceOver to easily read out and navigate the file text.
- VoiceOver would go to an empty box when you’d enter selection mode from the Photos Tab. This has been fixed and VoiceOver will now take you straight to your photos.
Minesweeper Deluxe (iOS/iPadOS, US$0.99)
This version of Minesweeper just gets harder and harder.
- More mines and bigger minefields.
- Set / Remove a flag by long pressing a square.
- Tap on a known square to scroll the minefield.
How many levels can you clear?
Current Version: 2.0.1 (February 27, 2021)
Changes in Version 2.0.0
The following board sizes are now available
- Easy 8 by 8 with 10 mines
- Normal 16 by 16 with 40 mines
- Expert 16 by 30 with 99 mines
- Monster 75 by 50 with 900 mines
Bugs and fixes
Spectrum Access: Enabled Media (iOS/iPadOS, Free)
Welcome to Spectrum Access, formerly known as Actiview. Enjoy free audio descriptions and closed captioning for the movies and TV shows you love. Download your preferred assistive track, choosing from over 300 titles. Sync your tracks to the TV with your device’s microphone. Sit back and enjoy an inclusive entertainment experience.
Current Version: 2.0.0 (February 10, 2021)
Changes in Version 2.0.0
We’re excited to announce a brand new look for Spectrum Access. Enjoy a personalized Home experience, a separate screen for downloads, and a whole new way to explore. Plus a lineup of TV shows that you’ll love on top of the hundreds of movies with audio descriptions and captions.
- Tab navigation: Jump between Home, Downloads, Explore, Search and Settings
- Personalized Home: A Continue Watching swimlane, plus top picks and more
- Explore: Browse by genre or type of program
- Search: A smarter interface that remembers your picks
Westopia (iOS/iPadOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
From the creators of FruitPot, comes a new game with much more than just slots.
Westopia starts as a promising old west caravans settlement and your mission is to build farms, stores, the saloon, and various buildings until it becomes a big city.
Each building contains a different slot machine with its own symbols. There are more than fifty slots, many accessory games, and countless hours of fun.
Current Version: 1.210301 (February 27, 2021)
Changes in Version 1.210215–1.210301
- New mini-game: the bounty wheel wagon; find it sometimes between the buildings.
- Two new buildings and twelve new symbols to improve your town!
WeWALK (iOS/iPadOS, Free)
WeWALK provides accessible navigation for the visually impaired.
Use WeWALK application to get navigation, ask your questions to assistant, initiate voice based interface called as voice menu and set your preferences…
WeWALK transforms the usual white cane into an innovative smart cane, increases visually impaired people’s ability to move independently and promotes full-participation into social life via its features.
- Obstacle Detection: it detects the obstacles that are above chest level.
- Phone Connection: it gets connected with smartphones via Bluetooth, making it possible to manage the application by using WeWALK’s touchpad and perform tasks such as getting navigation.
Current Version: 2.5.8 (February 26, 2021)
Changes in Version 2.5.4
- WeWALK navigation has been upgraded once again and we’re thrilled to share them with you! Check out our latest multi-modal navigation feature which now provides you options to get to your destination by walking, using public transport, or by taking an Uber. Guess what? It’s also simple to use: Search for a destination as you previously would using the Navigation feature in WeWALK app. Choose how you want to get there: walking, public transport, or via Uber. Select which route you want to take to get there and you’ll be well on your way. WeWALK will be with you every step of the way, helping guide you to wherever you need to go! WeWALK app can help you find your stop, tell you which public transport vehicle you need to take, track their arrival times, and even notify you when your stop is approaching!
- If there are stairs, elevators or junctions en route to your destination, WeWALK app will announce them during navigation.
- We’ve given our Transport feature a boost as well. You can now find out the distance to a stop that you need to get off at directly from the public transport screen. Not only that, but you can now use WeWALK app’s transit tracking feature to alert you when your stop is approaching!
- WeWALK voice assistant beta is now available in Turkish! You can start using voice commands to access some of WeWALK app’s features through the voice assistant
- We’ve also modified the voice menu structure for our smart cane users, which makes searching for menu options quicker and more simple.
Recent News and Views
- Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 with Safeguards Against Non-Compliant Docks
- Apple Releases watchOS 7.3.1 with fix for Apple Watch Series 5 and SE charging issue
- Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 with fix for MacBook Pro charging and security updates
- Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.2; Bringing Bluetooth and M1 Mac Fixes, and More
This Month in Podcasts
AppleVis Extra 80: State of the Disunion - Android versus iPhone in 2021
In this edition of the AppleVis Extra, host Dave Nason is joined by four great guests for a fun, detailed and balanced discussion about the state of both Android and iOS today, in particular of course for blind and low vision users.
Dave is joined by Warren Carr of the Blind Android Users podcast and mailing list, Steve Nutt of Computer Room Services, plus Scott Davert and Alex Hall from the AppleVis editorial team.
AppleVis Unleashed February 2021: We Have Matching Bras
In this month’s edition of AppleVis Unleashed, Thomas Domville and Randy Rusnak discuss recent Apple news and other topics of interest. Topics featured in this podcast include:
- Apple launches iCloud Passwords extension for Chrome on Windows
- Microsoft officially launches ‘Autofill’ password manager for iOS and other platforms
- Apple Releases macOS Big Sur 11.2; Bringing Bluetooth and M1 Mac Fixes, and More
- Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 with a fix for MacBook Pro charging issues, patches SUDO bug
- Apple offering free battery replacement for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro that won’t charge past 1%
- Apple once again starts blocking M1 Mac users from side loading iPhone and iPad apps
Get Rolling with DeyesFree for Apple Watch
In this podcast, techluver gives us a walkthrough of DeyesFree; a dice roller app, designed for allowing users to play simple dice games with nothing but the Apple Watch.
This month’s podcasts from Thomas Domville
- How to Set High and Low Heart Rate Alerts in watchOS
- On Your Mark Get Set. Go! with Space Wave Race for iOS
- Get Savings with GoodRx: Prescription Coupons for iOS
Hot AppleVis Content
Here are some of our forum topics which have got people talking in the past month:
- Announcing the release of Serania - Path of the Scion, a rich text adventure RPG with full support for VoiceOver
- FruitPot back on the AppStore
- Features missing and other want haves for iOS!
- Is macOS fully accessible for visually impaired?
- Voiceover issue with the iPhone XR after updating to 14.4
- Introducing my new audio game for iOS, Blinded Chef
Club AppleVis offers members and friends of our community a means of directly contributing towards the financial costs of operating AppleVis—thus ensuring that we can continue to deliver the information, help, and support that so many people have come to value and rely on since our launch in 2010.
To learn more about Club AppleVis; the perks of membership; and how you can join, please visit www.applevis.com/club-applevis
We wish you all good health and happiness.
The AppleVis Editorial Team