iMac Pro Issues (New user)
Good evening folks,
I have only been using my iMac Pro for about a month and am not sure if I've inflicted grievous bodily harm to it! :-)
I have a few issues that I really need help to understand please:
1. When I'm watching Netflix through the Google browser, every time there is a notification or 'something' going on, my screen makes a swoosh noise and switches to the offending app/notification etc
* How can I stop this please?
2. When I open the iMac Pro, or when I open it from standby, the calendar, google, email etc are open.
I don't want there to be anything open when I turn the machine on, or enter my password after standby!
* How can I do this please?
Sorry if these are glaringly obviously sill errors....
* Are there any good basic videocasts for beginners please?
Thanks so much for any assistance you can give.
If notifications are interrupting your workflow, you can change the alert style to banners instead. These show up on the upper right corner of your screen and are spoken by VoiceOver. To enable this, open System Preferences > Notifications and select Google Chrome in the applications table. Press VO Right Arrow until you hear the alert style you want, either banners or, to stop Chrome from sending notifications altogether, select, "None."
To change login items, open System Preferences > Users & Groups and select the login items tab. Navigate to the applications table and delete anything you don't want to open when you log in.
In my experience, I have found that many video tutorials explain concepts in a very visual manner, but how big a problem that is for you depends greatly on your situation. One resource that I think explains how to use macOS quite well is this video tutorial from Tech Talk America. In addition, there are a number of audio tutorials and written guides on the Getting started with your first Mac page.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was unwell. meh!
Anyway, thank you so much for such a helpful reply.
I did as you suggested, but, still have a couple of annoying issues.
1.when I'm watching Netflix, the screen will switch to the home screen at the swooch sound, and usually at a good bit in the film too haha.
2. When I log in, there are still some windows open (calendar, google and email).
I did change the notification and banner style too, but still have these irritating niggles.
I will do as you suggest and look at some tutorials from Tech Talk America and see if I can resolve my probs.
Thanks very much again, and hope you have a great week.
Blessings and Kind Regards,
1. When you say, "The screen will switch to the home screen," does Google Chrome crash or does the window change focus? If the window appears to randomly change focus, do you notice if the mouse is moving at all, even subtly?
2. Do you quit open apps before restarting or shutting down your Mac? You can also try deselecting the, "Reopen windows when logging back in," checkbox in the restart, shutdown, and logout dialogs to prevent these windows from reopening.
I was just gonna say what Tyler said... When you're saying the home screen, ya are meaning the finder window, right? Finder, incase ya didn't know, is like the desktop in windows. I've been a long time mac user, since 2010, so I kinda know the quirks/loving sides to MacOs. It sounds like either chrome is crashing, or you might be moving the mouse. If it's making that swishing sound, you could be inadvertantly opening the mission control panel with the F11 key. HTH, and if ya have any other thoughts/questions, just ask em on here!!! Live long and prosper...