Weather Gods 1.0.6
1.0.6 should be hitting the app store today.
Here's the main changes for Voiceover:
- NEW: master volume slider in settings to control the volume of the weather sounds
- NEW: voiceover will announce if the god is awake or asleep. For example; moon god is sleeping when the moon is down. The fire god takes a well earned rest at night time.
- NEW: the amount of cloud cover for 'now' or the day / night is available on the main screen with the fire god. Either with the current temperature or the day / night temperature
- NEW: if the day is foggy, then instead of cloud cover, we announce 'Foggy'. On the 'now' view, we also provide the amount of visibility with the 'Foggy' announcement
- NEW: Fog and visibility data has been added to the fire god hourly data, replacing the cloud cover information when it's foggy
- NEW: voiceover will announce some help information for users searching for locations for the first time
- NEW: under the fire god is an indication of sunrise or sunset. Voiceover will announce which and also say how many minutes until the event
- NEW: if the temperature is not changing in the next couple of hours then Voiceover will announce 'Level'
- UPDATE: we've lowered the volume of the partly sunny weather sound
- UPDATE: we've moved the weather sounds listening screen to the about screen. This is to make space for upcoming changes in the pipeline; feels like temperature, follow me weather and the ability to toggle the GPS current location off and on
- UPDATE: we've added some info to voiceover about using three finger swipe to change favourites on the location button
Other significant changes:
- NEW: now includes summary for Tonight in the summary notification
- NEW: add wind chill to the freeze notification
- NEW: add gusts to the wind speed notification
- NEW: add UV index and safety information to UV notification
- NEW: add visibility to the Fog notification
- NEW: hourly fire god data correctly handles those places where the sun doesn't rise or set, depending on the time of the year.
- UPDATE: some minor layout improvements for iPad
- UPDATE: small visual tweak to iPad search button
- FIX: widget not working correctly after sunset
- FIX: more work on the widget around loading of weather data
- FIX: more work to try and prevent the issues we saw with data corruption after the recent network outage
- FIX: no hourly data from 11pm to 12am when viewing hourly data for any of the gods
- FIX: app stuck in a loop when searching for places that have no time zone e.g. Sahara Desert
- FIX: bug fixes and stability improvements
Upcoming changes in the near term:
- Feels like temperature
- Follow me weather - we hope to also get follow me notifications as well
- The ability to switch off the GPS location - we know a number of users just want Weather Gods to use a favourite and not keep loading the GPS. This will fix that
- UV index with the UV data
- Make sleet more useful e.g. sleet comprises a rain and snow component. Ice god will let you know the amount of snow in the sleet, water god will give the amount of rain. Also going to try and indicate which way the sleet is going e.g. snow to rain or from rain to snow
As ever, if you're enjoying Weather Gods, please could you spare a moment to leave a review as they get reset on every update. Thank you.
Finally, a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to everybody!
Like the new changes and specially letting know about whether the gods are sleep or awake. My issue is that I am in Chicago, yet my location goes to Lincoln wood or Evanston IL. Some how chicago goes to favor. This is becoming a pain.
I'm still looking into the best way to solve this one. The app uses the GPS coordinates and these map to those other areas in the database - obviously Chicago is a large area and the app tries to map your location to something more local.
For now, the only recommendation I can make is:
1. Add Chicago as a favourite
2. Use Chicago for notifications etc
3. Just ignore the GPS location in the app, by using the swipe three fingers to get to Chicago and then leave Chicago as the focussed location.
A future update will allow you ti switch off the automatic current location and switch it back on when you want to use it again e.g. if you are travelling to other locations and you want the follow me weather
How do I do set it to notification to chicago? I d have chicago in favor.
Once Chicago has loaded, swipe right until you get to the notifications button.
Double tap and then you can setup notifications for Chicago as per normal setup
I just got the update a bit ago, and for a while, I was getting an error message saying that the service was unavailable. it seems to be back now. Wow lots and lots of updates for VoiceOver users! Very nice indeed!
Sorry you're having some problems - the code indicates an IBM data problem (again).
Just checked and it seems fine from the UK.
I tried several locations in the US without any problem.
Can you try another force close and relaunch please and see if that fixes the problem.
Does this app follow your phones location to give you weather alerts for your current location??
Cool, glad you're back :)
We've got a lot of new users with the free for a day yesterday and I think we might be being throttled by IBM if there is a sudden spike in data - possibly what you might have experienced.
I'm going to investigate to see how I can add more servers to cope with the spikes.
Not currently, it's in our near term plans.
Hi there, since I'm beta testing, where exactly is this tonight bit in the summary notification? All I'm seeing when I do the summary notification, is today and tomorrow. Then I see save notifications.
Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear on this one.
In the summary notification, the text received now includes the summary for the night as well.
Love the new version. One question, how do you get the amount of cloud cover? I checked it yesterday when we had a rainy, dark grey day yesterday and it doesn't show up. I'm in the fire god and the hourly weather wheel.
Glad you like the new version.
We don't actually give the amount of cloud cover as a percentage but rather as a more user friendly text string e.g. overcast, few clouds, scattered clouds, heavy clouds etc
It's available in a few places now:
1. Main screen with the current temperature when in the now/current view
2. Main screen with the high temperature when picking a day or night
3. Fire god, hourly data, as you swipe through each hour
4. Weather wheel, when you tap with two fingers for an hour, it's part of the announcement
Does that help at all?
If it still doesn't show up, then if you want to let me know which location, I can investigate further?
Ah, got ya!! Now i got it. It makes perfect sense now! thanks scott.
I figured thats what you meant by cloud cover.
I absolutely love this app, it keeps getting better and better with each update. I do notice that the tonight summary is a great feature. I would also love to see the ability to add the next night as well since you get a forecasted summary for the day the night and the next day. It will be kind of cool to have a feature in the summary to forecast the next night as well.
Thanks for the suggestion Brandon, I probably wouldn't put any more in the notification due to amount of text. For some places with changeable weather, it can get quite large with the day and night summaries.
However, we are putting a day / night summary with the day of week buttons.
For example, as you swipe through the day buttons, it would also announce the day / night summaries, so you can get that info much quicker.
Longer term, we are looking to add the weekly summary view, one button, and then the summaries for each day of the week.