Description of App
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books. iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest bestselling books
or your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a
tap, and bookmark or add notes to your favorite passages
• Download best-sellers and classic books from the iBookstore
• Find fully illustrated books, including children's picture books, designed art books, photo books, cook books, and more in the iBookstore
• Experience gorgeous fullscreen Multi-Touch books designed for iPad. These books are filled with interactive features, diagrams, photos, videos, and more
• Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it a part of your permanent collection
Great ways to read
• Choose from seven beautiful fonts, three easy-to-read page colors, and three useful page layouts—including Book, Full Screen, and Scroll
• iBooks beautifully renders text written in 18 different languages
• Highlight your favorite passages and add notes with the built-in bookmarking features
• Share quotes, or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail
• Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature
• Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment
• Use iBooks with the amazing accessibility features in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch—such as speaking the words on a given page
• Print PDF documents and notes you've written in iBooks using AirPrint
• Organize your books and PDFs into personal Collections that appear on all your devices
• Keep your bookmarks, highlights, notes, and your current page up-to-date everywhere using iCloud
• See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud—right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
Supports open standards
• iBooks also opens content published in the ePub and PDF formats
• Add ePub and PDF documents to iTunes and sync them to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
• You can also add PDF documents from Mail to your iBooks PDF Collection
• The iBookstore is available in many countries. The selection of books in the iBookstore may vary by country
• Downloading from the iBookstore or using iCloud features requires an Apple ID and Internet access
• All books created with iBooks Author can only be read with iBooks on iPad
• Books created with iBooks Author require iOS 5 or later. iBooks Author 2 requires iOS 5.1 or later
• Syncing books made with iBooks Author requires iTunes 10.5.3 or later
• Adding books and PDFs from outside the iBookstore to iBooks requires they be DRM-free and synced
using iTunes 10.5.3 or later
• Some PDF documents may not be compatible with iBooks
NFB on iBooks 2
I really hope this new textbook feature isn't iPad specific.
how to read with iBooks?
There's no mystery...
Loading ePub Files onto An iPod
iBooks and mysteries
Well, I wasn't 100% sure on
Glad I asked then
Introducing iBooks 3
• See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud—right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
• Scroll vertically through your books with the flick of a finger using the new Scroll theme
• Receive free updates to purchased books—including new chapters, corrections, and other improvements
• Look up definitions for words in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Simplified Chinese with iOS 6
• Share quotes or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail
Considering getting this
Converting epub files
thank you so much
Hello! I found it impossible
What's New in Version 3.1
- The iBookstore in Japan now has hundreds of thousands of books available for purchase, including fiction, manga, light novels and more.
- This version of iBooks also includes a number of improvements for reading Asian language books.
Problems Reading in iBooks
Bookmarks, iBooks and Audible
It appears that, with the latest version of iBooks, iBooks/Apple have now partnered with Audible to offer the ability to purchase Audible's audiobooks through the iBooks app.
This appears to be completely accessible.
The only problem is, I can't find a way to set bookmarks when I am done reading so I can come back to where I left off later.
If I am reading a book, pause it, and then come back to it a short time later, I am able to resume from where I left off. However, if I don't use the iBooks app fro some time, say, for a few days or so, when I bring the app back up, the book I was reading defaults back to the beginning and looses the position where I left off.
So, is there any way that I can actually set a bookmark in the iBooks app for audiobooks so that I am guaranteed never to lose my position in the audiobook where I left off?
I have heard from other sources there there is not (yet?) a way to do this, so, if this is the case, is there any other app I can use to make bookmarking possible?
I have heard that the Audible app itself allows one to physically mark one's place in an audiobook and that you can look under your iTunes library option within Audible in order to find audiobooks you've downloaded through iBooks? Is this true? Has anyone ever tried it? Does it work reliably?
Also, ifthis is true, how much does downloading the Audible app cost? Do you have to take a subscription to Audible in order to use the app to view individual books you've purchased through iBooks?
iBooks now comes with iOS 9, and cannot be deleted. This means that Apple has discontinued updating the app for iOS 9 users, but Apple looks like there're making updates for people below iOS 9.
I am gessing this from my perspective, correct me if I'm wrong.
I just wish that apple would wake up.
For years now, the south african iBooks is still only allowing us to download public domain books. I wish to pay for modern books through my apple ID. Can this be so hard? How do you wake a sleeping giant?
I cannot access the list of my purchased books with Voiceover
I'm using iBooks 4.7 and IOS 9.3 on my iPhone 6S. I cannot see my list of purchased books. Here are the steps to reproduce this bug.
1. Launch the iBooks app.
2. Select the Purchased tab.
3. Access the Books button.
4. Access either the All Books or the Not on this iPhone.
The categories such as All Books and recent books show on the screen but Voiceover doesn't speak them. You must make a selection
I reported this bug to Apple Accessibility and I hope that others will also report it.
Problems with purchased books with iBooks
I'm having the same problem in iBooks. I have also reported this issue to Apple Accessibility. They replied with "Hello, Thank you for your email and for bringing this to our attention. I will file a report regarding this with the appropriate people."
This issue is also present on my IPad 4 gen, but here thanks to the spilt screen view, the inaccessible list is on the left and all books are shown on the right. So there it's "useable". But I also use an iPhone 6s, here it's a no go. The only way I have found to get into the purchases (a sighted friend helped with this, apparently under the all books and the not on phone buttons there is a list of categories. The first item is all books.) is to do the following:
1. tap on either all book or not on phone button
2. drag my finger slightly down and raise finger
2. turn Voiceover off and tap on the screen where I draged my finger down.
3. turn voiceover back on and all books are shown.
This is really fiddle work, but it works. Maybe this can work for you until they fix this really annoying bug.
Have a great day,
Is the "Preview" mode at all
Is the "Preview" mode at all like what the actual reading experience is once you buy a book? I've never used iBooks before.
Trying to decide if I can tolerate this before spending $18 on the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child eBook.
It would seem I can navigate line by line, though not by word or character if I want to confirm a word. Is this the same in the normal reading mode or is it just like this because it's a sample?
I may need to alter the speaking rate of Voice Over and try again - I usually have it at 100% but this is a bit too fast for a reading of a book/script, especially if I can't navigate by word or character.
I just tried previewing an audiobook on Apple Books and was unable to pause the sample using either the play pause button on the lock screen or the two finger double tap. Has anyone else come across this and is there a way around it? Thanks.
How do you get Voiceover to…
How do you get Voiceover to read a book from the books app? I just learned that one can read sample chapters, so I set it up and all I'm getting is a picker of page numbers and Voiceover won't read anything.
Hello has anyone else had a problem with the continuous read feature. Since the latest update. It seems to read one page and then stops. Many thanks