Apple's highly anticipated annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) kicked off today with the customary keynote presentation. During the event, Apple unveiled the next major updates to all its software platforms and introduced the much-awaited mixed-reality headset and some new Mac models.
Our editorial team member Alex (‘mehgcap’), who typically provides detailed event summaries, regrets being unable to do so this time due to work commitments.
Summarizing a 2-hour information and technical-rich event with accuracy and speed, while also teasing out what's of particular relevance and interest for our community and adding personal opinions, requires skills and abilities that I frankly do not possess. Instead, I will provide direct links to reliable sources where you can find accurate and up-to-date information about all the news announced today. These resources include Apple's official press releases and the previews they have released for their upcoming major software platform updates. I will update this post with additional resources as they become available.
We are eager to hear your thoughts on today's announcements and updates from Apple! Please feel free to share your opinions by leaving a comment below.
Apple Press Releases
- Introducing Apple Vision Pro: Apple’s first spatial computer
- iOS 17 makes iPhone more personal and intuitive
- iPadOS 17 brings new levels of personalization and versatility to iPad
- macOS Sonoma brings all‑new capabilities for elevating productivity and creativity
- Introducing watchOS 10, a milestone update for Apple Watch
- tvOS 17 brings FaceTime and video conferencing to the biggest screen in the home
- Apple introduces the 15‑inch MacBook Air
- Apple unveils new Mac Studio and brings Apple silicon to Mac Pro
- Apple introduces M2 Ultra
- AirPods redefine the personal audio experience
- Apple announces powerful new privacy and security features
- Apple provides powerful insights into new areas of health
Apple Operating System Previews
- Watch WWDC23 keynote replay on Apple website
- Watch WWDC23 keynote replay on Youtube
- You can also watch the WWDC23 keynote in the Apple TV app on any supported device.
- Create accessible spatial experiences: Learn how you can make spatial computing apps that work well for everyone. Like all Apple platforms, visionOS is designed for accessibility: We'll share how we've reimagined assistive technologies like VoiceOver and Pointer Control and designed features like Dwell Control to help people interact in the way that works best for them. Learn best practices for vision, motor, cognitive, and hearing accessibility and help everyone enjoy immersive experiences for visionOS.
- Extend Speech Synthesis with personal and custom voices: Bring the latest advancements in Speech Synthesis to your apps. Learn how you can integrate your custom speech synthesizer and voices into iOS and macOS. We'll show you how SSML is used to generate expressive speech synthesis, and explore how Personal Voice can enable your augmentative and assistive communication app to speak on a person's behalf in an authentic way.
- Build accessible apps with SwiftUI and UIKit: Discover how advancements in UI frameworks make it easier to build rich, accessible experiences. Find out how technologies like VoiceOver can better interact with your app's interface through accessibility traits and actions. We'll share the latest updates to SwiftUI that help you refine your accessibility experience and show you how to keep accessibility information up-to-date in your UIKit apps.
- Perform accessibility audits for your app: Discover how you can test your app for accessibility with every build. Learn how to perform automated audits for accessibility using XCTest and find out how to interpret the results. We'll also share enhancements to the accessibility API that can help you improve UI test coverage.
- The Verge: Apple Vision Pro first look: the mixed reality future is (almost) here
- MacRumors: Apple Reveals 'Vision Pro' Headset and visionOS
- MacRumors: iOS 17 Compatible With iPhone XS and Newer, Available in Beta Today
- MacRumors: watchOS 10 Compatible With watchOS Series 4 and Later, iPhone XS/XR or Later Also Required
- MacRumors: macOS Sonoma Drops Support for These Macs
- MacRumors: Apple's Vision Pro Headset Uses 'Optic ID' Iris Scanning Authentication
- 9to5Mac: Siri no longer requires 'Hey' command to activate
- 9to5Mac: Which iPads support iPadOS 17? Here's the list
- 9to5Mac: Apple Vision Pro: US-only at launch, some eye prescriptions not supported, age requirement, AR hardware preview
- The Verge: I wore the Apple Vision Pro. It’s the best headset demo ever.
- TechCrunch: First impressions: Yes, Apple Vision Pro works and yes, it’s good.
- 9to5Mac: Vision Pro: I just tried Apple’s first spatial computer, and here’s what I think
- MacRumors: WWDC 2023 Recap: Everything Apple Announced Today
- Six Colors: The features that didn’t get discussed onstage at WWDC
- MacStories: WWDC 2023: A First Look at Messages in iOS 17