We are pleased to announce that the winners of the Eleventh annual AppleVis Golden Apple Awards are Envision AI and Evidence 111.
Since their launch in 2012, the AppleVis Golden Apple Awards have afforded blind and low vision users of Apple products an opportunity to recognize and acknowledge the hard work and dedication which developers have put into making and maintaining great and accessible applications over the given year. The respective teams behind Envision AI and Evidence 111 are demonstrably worthy recipients of this honour in 2022 for their commitment to accessible app development.
Envision AI empowers people who are blind or have low vision by providing access to everyday visual information. Utilising the iPhone camera, the app can speak out written information, describe surroundings and objects, and even tell you who's nearby. It became completely free with the release of version 3.0 in July 2022.
Launched in November of this year, Evidence 111 is an immersive audio thriller with high production standards. It's September 13, 1985 in a small English town. Just like every Friday, Chief inspector Alice Wells is on duty. An ordinary night shift is suddenly interrupted by a mysterious phone call – an anonymous caller knows something about the chief inspector that nobody was supposed to find out. The app asks what will you do in this situation. What strategy will you use to uncover the secret hidden in the Evidence file No. 111?
Below is more information on each of the winners from their App Store pages:
Best App: Envision AI
Envision is the fastest, most reliable and award-winning OCR app that speaks out the visual world, helping blind and visually impaired users to lead more independent lives.
Simply use your phone camera to scan any piece of text, your surroundings, objects, people or products and everything will be read out to you thanks to Envision’s smart artificial intelligence (AI) and Optical Character Recognition (OCR).
With full VoiceOver support, Envision enables you to:
- Instantly read any piece of text in over 60 different languages.
- Easily scan your paper documents (single or multiple pages) with the help of audio-guided edge detection. All content is spoken back to you and is ready for export and edit.
- Import PDFs and images to get a description of the image and recognition of all the text within it.
- Quickly read handwritten postcards, letters, lists and other paperwork.
- Effortlessly describe visual scenes around you.
- Detect colour on your clothes, walls, books, you name it.
- Swiftly scan barcodes to get extensive information about the products.
- Find people around you; the names of your family and friends are spoken out whenever they are in the frame.
- Find objects around you; selecting common objects from the in-app list to find them.
- Share images or documents from your phone or other apps like Twitter or WhatsApp by selecting Envision from the share sheet. Envision can then read and describe those images for you.
Read the AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for Envision AI
Best Game: Evidence 111
September 13, 1985, a small town of Farnham, England. Just like every Friday, Chief inspector Alice Wells is on duty. An ordinary night shift is suddenly interrupted by a mysterious phone call - an anonymous caller knows something about the chief inspector that none was supposed to find out.
What will you do in this situation? Will you choose to be kind, curious, courageous or relentless? How the story of chief inspector Alice Wells plays out is solely in your hands!
- What is the secret of the long-forgotten file containing Evidence No 111? Decide on the progression and outcome of the detective story!
- Indulge yourselves in outstanding voice acting performances and experience Alice’s story in immersive 3D audio.
- Intuitive controls utilizing swipe gestures.
- Optimized for visually-impaired audience.
- Branching decision-based story.
- Up to 10 alternate endings.
Read the AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for Evidence 111
The 2022 AppleVis Golden Apple Awards consisted of awards for Best App and Best Game. Voting was held between December 5 and December 10, 2022. Voting was open to all blind and low vision members of the AppleVis community who were not employed by any of the developers whose apps were shortlisted.
To be nominated for this year's Golden Apple Awards, apps must:
- Be fully accessible to blind and low vision users;
- Have been launched or significantly updated during 2022;
- Be from a developer with a demonstrable commitment to accessibility; and
- Be best-in-class in terms of design, functionality, and operation.
We would like to express our sincere gratitude to all the developers who were shortlisted for an award. Without exception, all of the shortlisted apps and games were worthy nominees - as demonstrated by the significant number of votes each received. All of the developers showed a strong commitment to improving the lives of blind and low vision users in 2022, and our appreciation for their efforts cannot be overstated.
The complete list of all apps shortlisted for the 2022 AppleVis Golden Apple Awards is available here The list of previous winners of an AppleVis Golden Apple is available here.
No way that evidence 111 made the first place. The game was uploaded less than a month ago, has 2 recommendations and 20 comments.
The developers and their families got to a lot of trouble to make this game come first. how many of the accounts that voted were created within the month I wonder?
Check your voters AppleVis before posting the results.
Re: Lol cheaters
Throwing out unfounded accusations of this nature simply because you don't like the result is an extremely bad look.
It's also incredibly disappointing that this is the first response to the announcement. It does our community no favours.
We monitor voting very closely for any irregularity, and I can tell you that there is zero reason to think that anything untoward took place. The very vast majority of votes came from long-standing members of our community and there was absolutely no hint of any coordinated voting.
I suggest that you retract your accusation and apologise to the Evidence 111 developers.
Well said David
Sounds like someone is a poor loser
No other way
Since I have no access to the data, my accusation was bound to be unfounded and it was for you to check it out and confirm or deny it.
Furthermore I can only win from this vote since the winner is an accessible game. So this is a win and not my loss. besides, I have played and love all the candidates. However to be honest I must admit that I am a bad loser indeed, just not in this case. :)
Lastly and because you confirmed that the results were fair and square, I retract my accusation and I happily apologize to the evidence 111 developers.
Hello all, I think both were good choices. I know the game has only been out for a few weeks but I can say from personal use that this is the only game I've ever bought and tried that I thought would be a good choice. It is and I would buy other games from these developers in the future.
Hi everyone, thanks a lot for voting for our game. It's a really surprise for us but also a message that you like what we did and that's really important for us! So enjoy the game if you haven't already :-)
Good choices, Team! These are all such great apps!
Congratulations to evidence 111.
I lobe that game.
For any developer make a real game, American football. Can not understand why someone can not do so. Windows did one long time ago. Why I can not find a real game. Football would be it. I will pay for it. Not managing it or run it. Just want to play it. Maybe before I go to haven! Cross finger I see one!