Description of App
Do you have a music collection of thousands of albums on your computer or network drive? Now you can browse and play that music directly on your iPad without syncing or waiting for a download. You can also stream to Chromecast or Airplay speakers.
“Music Streamer is a fantastic answer to a common problem” - 148Apps
"MusicStreamer is easily one of the best music streaming apps available for the iOS operating system. This app allows simple and automatic synchronization between your device and your PC." - appPicker.com
"MusicStreamer is a smart, new app that makes local music streaming easier than ever." - AppAdvice.com
None of the other apps we tried had the must have features we wanted, which were:
- Easy setup wizard.
- Reliably streams music directly from your PC, Mac, Time Capsule, or Network Drive.
- Provides excellent playlist management.
- Import existing iTunes playlists.
- Search by album, track, artist or genre.
- Effortlessly supports tens of thousands of tracks.
- Offline mode: Download tracks, albums or playlists to play in offline mode.
- Supports lossless FLAC, OPUS and WAV files as well as MP3, M4A, AAC and AIF.
- Supports gapless playback.
- Is easy to set up and has an intuitive and powerful user interface.
- AirPlay and Chromecast music support.
- Scrobble to last.fm.
- Groups album tracks based on your existing folder arrangement.
- Access multiple libraries and easily switch between them.
- Extracts tags and album art embedded in audio files and also uses album art from files in your music folders.
- Audiobus and inter-app audio support, acting as a music source.
We would love to hear your feedback on email@example.com and this will drive new features in future updates.
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
The app is fully accessible, though there is an oddity where two different labels will be displayed on menu buttons. One has to know which version of the menu is actually visible, depending on the context. The developer has made specific accommodations for VoiceOver users to be able to access time readout (selectable in Settings).
This is one of very few apps that will transmit to Chromecast audio devices and also pulls music from an SMB share on a network-attached hard drive (or your computer hard drive). It also is easy to play entire albums. The app developers are responsive to feedback. The interface is search-centric. To get to a more traditional drill-down menu of genres, then artists, then albums, press the "artist" button on the main interface and then press the unlabelled button that Voiceover pronounces as a Japanese or Chinese character (hard to miss it!).
Developer's Twitter Username
1 people have recommended this app
Does this only work within a local area network, or can I use it to stream my music when I am away from home?
I'm guessing by the description it only does stuff over the LAN.
Correct. Only local area network
Looks like I will take the plunge and give Plex a go.
Be sure to report back on how it goes
Good luck. I had nothingn but issues with plex the last time I tried to let's say use it on iOs. Lost of unlabeled stuff I reported but never got fixed, but that was back in 2016 so here's hopinng plex got better.