AppleVis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for April 2019
Welcome to the April 2019 edition of AppleVis Unlimited, our monthly series which aims to highlight what's new and noteworthy on the AppleVis website. Below, you'll find a selection of the best content posted to AppleVis by members of the community - from new app entries, to app updates, to the latest news and podcasts. For easier navigation, the major sections of this post are at heading level 3, and each individual item is at heading level 4.
New and Noteworthy App Entries
AutoMounter (macOS, US$9.99)
AutoMounter is a sleek and powerful menu item for automatically mounting your network shares, ensuring that your shares are always mounted when you need them.
- Automatically mounts SMB / AFP / NFS / WebDAV / (FTP is read-only)
- Supports multiple NAS appliances, with server discovery
- Advanced rule matching against WiFi SSIDs and more
- Wake-on-LAN to unavailable servers
Pro Settings (in-app purchase)
- Open apps and files when a share mounts
- Mount in /Volumes and other custom locations (requires Helper App)
Current Version: 1.6.2 (March 19, 2019)
Boxed: Bulk Quality Essentials (iOS, Free)
Boxed delivers the groceries and household products you love in bulk, for the lowest prices, so your home always feels complete.
Shop anytime from your mobile phone or tablet and get access to hundreds of carefully-selected pantry, home, kids', office and school essentials without paying a membership fee.
Get free shipping and enjoy ultra fast delivery straight to your doorstep.
So whether you’re stocking up on your favorite snacks or in need of a constant supply of toilet paper, get more of what you need and love for less and enjoy that amazing feeling of being all set.
*Boxed is currently available in the contiguous 48 states.
Current Version: 2.7.6 (April 28, 2019)
Ebates Rakuten: Get Cash Back (iOS, Free)
Get Cash Back rewards at your favorite stores! Get unbeatable shopping deals and save with promo codes & coupons from Ebates.
Save money and sign up for a FREE account – it’s easy! Explore deals, shop at 2,500+ stores AND earn Cash Back when you buy. You’ll also get a $10 Welcome Bonus!
3 reasons you’ll love the Ebates app:
- Shop & save: Earn up to 40% Cash Back
- 2,500+ stores: eBay, Walmart, Amazon, Macy’s, Sephora, Lyft rides, Grubhub, DoorDash & many more!
- Buy best brands: Access offers on best-selling brands
Rakuten savings help you buy the things you want & save at the same time. Earn money with your vacation, find the best discount deals at your favorite stores and shop clothes from top brands.
Current Version: 5.7.0 (April 19, 2019)
Rocket (macOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Mind-blowing emoji on your Mac.
Rocket is now the world’s first emoji picker for blind people!
The fastest, smoothest Slack-style emoji picker for your Mac
- Access to every emoji through the shortcut window
- Pick your favourite skin tone
- Light and dark themes
We’ll never nag you to upgrade, but if you want to step up your emoji game…
- Scroll and search your way through every emoji in the Search & Browse window
- Use Rocket to send and store gifs, images, and memes
- Set custom emoji shortcuts and add your own emoji
Current Version: 1.5 (March 28, 2019)
Samplism (macOS, US$59.99)
Samplism is a revolutionary audio file organizer that helps you quickly organize, search and preview your audio samples.
- Automatic Tag Matching
- Navigate Audio Samples with Tags and Auto Tags
- Manual Tag Matching
- User-Defined Tags
- Organize Audio Samples with Folders
- Advanced Sample Player
- Simplism: the Samplism mini player
- Export Audio Samples
- Import Third-Party Library (* Logic Pro X and Ableton Live supported)
- Working with DAWs
- Working with Audio Units
- Built for Mac
Current Version: 1.6.3 (March 24, 2019)
Simply NFC (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Simply NFC is the most powerful and simple NFC reader available. Simply tap the “Read NFC” button to start scanning for NFC tags and then place the back of your phone to the tag. It’s that simple! No external hardware required (requires iPhone 7 or above)! The tag content will be read, stored in your history, and opened automatically on the device with the appropriate app or function. With configured tags, you can even trigger HomeKit scenes that were preconfigured in the Home app!
To read NFC tags even faster, you can launch the scanning through 3D touch quick actions by hard pressing on the app icon, or changing a setting to have the NFC reader start when opening the app.
Have a bunch of tags? Enable Multi-Scan mode and scan all of them in one session to view all the results at once.
One can also export the scanned history to txt tab delimited, csv comma delimited, or csv tab delimited files. Useful for tracking events!
Want to ask Siri to start scanning a tag? iOS 12 users now have access to Siri Shortcuts to have Siri scan a single or multiple tags.
Want a widget or iMessage extension? Simply NFC has a widget which allows quick access to scanning tags and viewing your history and an iMessage extension which allows easy sharing of your history.
Current Version: 1.70 (April 12, 2019)
All recent app entries posted to AppleVis can be found at:
Notable App Updates
Cash Reader: Bill Identifier (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Cash Reader identifies banknote denomination for the largest number of currencies.
Point your camera to the money in hand and hear, see or feel its value.
All banknotes supported by Cash Reader are listed below alphabetically by region.
Euro, British pound, Bulgarian lev, Croatian Kuna, Czech Crown, Danish krone, Hungarian Forint, Polish zloty, Romanian leu, Swedish krona
Bosnian mark, Icelandic crown, Norwegian krone, Russian Ruble, Serbian dinar, Swiss franc, Turkish Lira, Ukrainian hryvnia
United States dollar, Canadian dollar, Mexican peso, Trinidad and Tobago dollar
Argentine peso, Bolivian Boliviano, Colombian peso, Uruguayan peso
Israeli shekel, Iranian rial, Jordanian Dinar, Kuwaiti Dinar, Lebanese pound, Omani rial, Qatari riyal, Saudi riyal
Chinese yuan, Hong Kong dollar, Indonesian rupiah, Japanese yen, Pakistani rupee, Philippine peso, Singapore dollar, Indian rupee
Egyptian pound, Kenyan shilling, Tunisian Dinar, Moroccan dirham, South African Rand
App is localised to these languages:
Current Version: 1.27 (April 24, 2019)
Changes in Version 1.27
A new screen where you can learn a vibration pattern for every banknote denomination and setup vibration behavior to suit your needs. Access the new vibration screen from Cash Reader Settings.
You can use new haptic feedback to feel the banknote value or switch back to more rough vibrations.
We fixed issues with the download of Chinese yuan.
Cash Reader is now able to identify the banknotes of these new currencies: Bolivian Boliviano, Colombian peso, Mexican peso, Philippine peso, Singapore dollar, South African Rand
Clew (iOS, Free)
Clew is an AR indoor navigation app designed for visually impaired users to help them retrace their steps in unfamiliar environments.
Current Version: 1.1 (April 26, 2019)
Changes in Version 1.1
The following new features have been added to Clew.
- Routes can now be saved so that they can be navigated repeatedly.
- Routes can be navigated in the forward direction (i.e., the same direction as they were recorded) as opposed to just in the reverse direction (as was the case in prior versions of Clew)/
- Enhancements have been added for users with low-vision, including bigger fonts and buttons, better placement of on-screen text, support for voice announcements even when the user is not using VoiceOver.
- Motion tracking errors are now communicated directly to the user. This will result in your phone generating more announcements when conditions are not good for motion tracking (e.g., poor visual features in your environment or excessive motion).
- We have added a new pause and resume process that is more user friendly
Make sure to read through the "Help" menu for a rundown of how to use these new features.
djay - DJ App & Mixer (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Ready to rock your next party? Introducing the all-new djay: now with live music production tools, enhanced Spotify integration, Automix AI, music visualizers, and countless new features.
djay transforms your iOS device into a full-featured DJ and music production system. Seamlessly integrated with your music library and Spotify, djay gives you direct access to millions of songs. You can perform live, remix tracks, or enable Automix mode to let djay create a seamless mix for you automatically. Whether you are a professional DJ or a beginner who just loves to play with music, djay offers you the most intuitive yet powerful DJ experience on an iPad or iPhone.
Current Version: 3.1.2 (April 25, 2019)
Changes in Version 3.1
- Added VoiceOver accessibility to Looper mode
- Added support for VoiceOver reading song titles when using MIDI controller to browse songs
- Many VoiceOver accessibility improvements (e.g. improved swipe order)
- New content: added new looper packs, sample packs, and visuals
- New feature: 2 deck PRO mode on iPhone
- New feature: Customize sampler (including rearranging, recording and importing your own samples)
- New feature: full screen media library in Classic mode and 4 Deck mode on iPad
- New feature: Beat Jump (part of Cue Points / Skip tool)
- New feature: Automix start and end points to control Automix transitions
- New feature: Siri Shortcuts integration to start Automix via voice commands
- Added separate sliders for controlling volume of sampler and looper independently
- Added support for 0 bar transition duration
- Added support for Numark Party Mix Pro MIDI controller
- Improved timing precision when dragging needle and tracks are in sync mode
- Fixed missing song context menu in media library collection view layout
- Fixed instant doubles for decks 3/4
- Fixed missing load button long-press menu in 4 deck mode
- Fixed load button not working in 4 deck mode when using MIDI controller
- Fixed sampler volume and velocity pads not working on some MIDI controllers
Duckduckgo Privacy Browser (iOS, Free)
At DuckDuckGo, we believe the Internet shouldn't feel so creepy, and getting the privacy you deserve online should be as simple as closing the blinds.
Our app provides the privacy essentials you need to seamlessly take control of your personal information as you search and browse the web, no matter where the Internet takes you:
- Escape Advertising Tracker Networks — Our Privacy Protection will block all the hidden third-party trackers we can find, exposing the major advertising networks tracking you over time, so that you can track who's trying to track you.
- Increase Encryption Protection — We force sites to use an encrypted connection where available, protecting your data from prying eyes, like ISPs.
- Search Privately — You share your most personal information with your search engine, like your financial, medical, and political questions. What you search for is your own business, which is why DuckDuckGo search doesn't track you. Ever.
- Decode Privacy Policies — We’ve partnered with Terms of Service Didn't Read to include their scores and labels of website terms of service and privacy policies, where available.
As you search and browse, the DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser shows you a Privacy Grade rating when you visit a website (A-F). This rating lets you see how protected you are at a glance, dig into the details to see who we caught trying to track you, and learn how we enhanced the underlying site's privacy measures. The Privacy Grade is scored automatically based on the prevalence of hidden tracker networks, encryption availability, and website privacy practices.
Current Version: 7.18.3 (April 19, 2019)
Changes in Version 7.18.1
- Improved accessibility features.
- Tweaked colors for better contrast.
Evermusic: offline music + mp3 (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Evermusic - music player and downloader for your iPhone or iPad. Audio equalizer, bass booster, ID3 tags editor, playlists manager.
Evermusic is smart and powerful MP3 music player for Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, MEGA, Yandex.Disk, MediaFire, WebDAV, SMB, MyDrive, pCloud, HiDrive. With this app you can create your own music streaming service. Just move your music library to the network storage and listen to it directly from there without taking up any extra device space. All your music now available online and you can free up space on your iPhone for photos and new apps.
NAS, Wi-Fi Drive, SMB. Connect your MAC or PC using SMB and listen to your music directly from your computer. Advanced buffering technologies will provide smooth playback on your iPhone. You can also import audio files from your computer with iTunes File Sharing and Wi-Fi Disk.
Your music available offline. If you want to listen to your music without Internet just download all needed songs, albums, artists and listen to your music offline. You can also enable audio player cache and all recently played songs will be downloaded automatically.
Audio books. You can use Evermusic as audiobooks player because there are three useful features: audio bookmarks, playback speed control, saving of media position. Another great feature is sleep timer.
Crossfade playback. With this feature all your songs are playing continuously. There is no pause between songs during playback. You can also stream your music to Apple TV and Google Chromecast device.
Automatic synchronization. Your music library automatically synchronized between cloud storage and device. All songs are grouped by artist, album, genre. Evermusic has user friendly interface with different themes. It supports the most popular audio formats: mp3, aac, m4a, wav, aiff, m4r. Metadata reader will update your songs metadata very quickly. With music library backup feature you can backup all your playlists, songs, album artworks, application settings to the cloud storage and restore it from there.
Audio equalizer. This app has built in equalizer with different frequencies and iPod style presets for the most popular music genres: acoustic song, bass booster, classical music, dance music, electronic music, hip-hop, jazz, latin music, pop, piano, rock, small speakers. But you can also select manual equalizer settings and change preamplifier gain if you need to make your music sound louder.
Playlists manager. With Evermusic you can create and manage playlists, change songs order in playlist. You can make playlist available offline. You can sort songs in your playlist by name, size, song number, album.
ID3 tags editor. If you have corrupted metadata in your files you can edit audio tags using ID3 tags editor.
Files manager. You can manage your files located on the cloud storage using file manager. This application supports all basic operations: move, rename, delete, download from storage, upload to storage, create new directory.
Advanced search. Smart search engine will help you to find favorite albums, artists, songs in your music library.
Current Version: 3.6 (April 7, 2019)
Changes in Version 3.6
- VoiceOver Support. VoiceOver is a gesture-based screen reader that lets you enjoy using iPhone even if you don’t see the screen. Hear a description of everything happening on your screen. We added text labels and hints to all user interface components and now you can enjoy your favorite audio player with full support of VoiceOver.
- Custom Audio Equalizer Configurations. We added possibility to save custom audio equalizer configurations and they will appear on the top of the list above the built-in settings.
- Mixed Output Mode for Audio Player. Now you can mix audio from this application with audio from other applications on your iPhone. Open settings -> audio player- > general -> audio output mode.
- Continue playback. With this feature you can restore audio player state that was active before you close the app. Just tap and hold PLAY button and audio player state will be restored automatically. This feature is useful for audiobooks and lectures. Just open application settings -> audio player -> general -> save audio player state -> enabled
- Album artworks editing. We implemented album artworks editing for your audio files (FLAC, MP3, AIFF) and playlists.
- iCloud Drive. Now you can import music from iCloud and other applications.
- Fixed audio player queue.
- Fixed user interface issues.
- Fixed songs playback.
- Fixed localization issues;
- Fixed FLAC streaming from Windows Media Server.
- Fixed authorization for MEGA cloud storage.
- Fixed content sorting ascending and descending.
- Fixed audio tags reading for AIFF files.
- Fixed connection for Windows 10 and DLNA.
- Fixed now playing song in edit mode.
- Fixed audio bookmarks.
- Fixed album artworks.
Microsoft OneDrive (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Do more wherever you go with Microsoft OneDrive. Get to and share your documents, photos, and other files from your iOS device, computer (PC or Mac), and any other devices you use. Use the Office mobile apps to stay productive and work together, no matter where you are. The OneDrive app for iOS lets you easily work with your personal and work files when you're on the go.
- Quickly open and save OneDrive files in Office apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
- Easily find photos thanks to automatic tagging.
- Get notifications when a shared document is edited.
- Share albums of your favorite photos and videos.
- Highlight, annotate, and sign PDF files in your OneDrive.
- Access your most important files offline.
Current Version: 10.63 (April 24, 2019)
Changes in Version 10.60
“Hey Siri, scan a whiteboard.” Or a business card, document, photo – you get the gist. Turn on OneDrive shortcuts by going to Settings -> Siri & Search.
Business users - our Sites view is going through a mid-life crisis and is now called Libraries. Don't worry, Libraries still work the same way and there are no plans to buy a motorcycle. Yet.
We've fixed an issue in the iMessage app where our icons were showing up pixelated. Thanks to the keen eye of our TestFlight user Nikolaj, we've fixed this issue and our iMessage icons are now clear as day. A non-Seattle day, that is.
We've fine-tuned our VoiceOver experience in the Shared page, and it will now behave a little more human-ly, and a little more accessibly.
MindNode 6 (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Every great idea starts with a thought. And another. And then a million more. MindNode helps you get all these thoughts out of your head and create a clear picture of your idea.
Capture Your Thoughts
Whether as words, images, links, tasks, or notes, capture your thoughts in any form. Don’t worry about order and importance. MindNode is the right tool to get your ideas out of your head and into the world. Features like Quick Entry make capturing fast-flowing thoughts a cinch.
Organize Your Idea
Your document reflects your ever-changing understanding of an idea as you add and adjust thoughts. Move, connect, detach, and reconnect as often as you like. During this process Focus Mode and foldable branches allow you to concentrate on one thought at a time.
Style Your Mind Map
Personalize your mind map with beautiful out-of-the-box themes or create your very own style. MindNode allows you to make your mind map look just right by styling every single detail the way you want it. And with Smart Layout your document will always look fantastic.
Share Your Vision
Easily share your documents with others or move them one step further in your creative process. Send tasks to Apple Reminders, Things, or OmniFocus. Export your project as plain text, rtf, docx, csv, opml, pdf, image, markdown, or TaskPaper.
STAY PRODUCTIVE WHEREVER YOU GO
Whether it's your iPhone when on the go, your iPad or Mac at work, or your Apple Watch during a workout, with MindNode you stay productive wherever you are. A deep system integration lets you store your files on iCloud Drive and access them on all your devices.
Current Version: 6.0.1 (April 29, 2019)
Changes in Version 6.0
Put a spotlight on one part of your mind map and fade out all the rest. Focus Mode helps you minimize distractions and stay focused to finish your thought.
Reduce distractions even further by hiding all connections on the canvas.
Quickly find the right sticker to make your document even more appealing.
Styling, editing and rearranging multiple nodes just got a whole lot easier. Select multiple objects by touching and holding anywhere on the canvas.
EXTERNAL SCREEN SUPPORT
Big ideas need space. With an external screen, you get a different perspective on your idea. Improvements include locking the viewport on the external screen, as well as viewing notes and using Quick Look for images.
Make your workspace your own. Drag and drop your favorite actions onto the panel's quick actions. On iPad drag the panels to the other side of the screen.
MindNode is now available in Traditional Chinese, increasing overall localizations to 14.
- Unifies selection highlighting of nodes and connections across iOS and macOS
- Further unifies keyboard shortcuts across iOS and macOS, including shortcuts for folding, zooming and changing font size
- Supports importing of new Mind Zen documents
- New shortcuts including …
- Adds shortcut to zoom to the current selection (Command-*)
- Accessibility improvements such as announcing notes and connections
- Improves the order of actions in the action panel and edit menu
- Adds headers to action groups in the action panel
- New visualization for the connection creation mode
- Improves Apple Pencil usability
- Ensures nodes, branches, connections and knobs are correctly animated
- Ensures correct animations during folding and unfolding
- Allows undoing node creations with Command-Z and 2-finger tap
- MindNode now correctly reopens the last open document if the app was closed in the background
- Ensures correct positions of orthogonal branches when using cloud shapes
- Fixes the "mindnode://newDocument" scheme when no filename was supplied
- Fixes jumping arrows when connections are animated
- Fixes a bug where the node well and the resizing knob wouldn't be visible, when switching to certain apps and back
- Allows to exit modal dialogs with ESC or the keyboard shortcut Command-.
- 'Delete Single Node' now also works on leaf nodes
Speecap (iOS, Free)
Speecap is a high-quality voice recorder. Speecap automatically detects and eliminates background hissing noise while recording. No need of expensive professional microphone. Easily make clean speech recordings with any cheap microphone.
- Automatic hissing noise cancellation
- Sound monitoring while recording
- Recording and playback in the background
Current Version: 2.0 (April 23, 2019)
Changes in Version 2.0
- Lots of UI improvements.
- Improved accessibility.
- Added sound indicating the starting of recording.
Tweetings (iOS, US$0.99)
Tweetings is a Twitter client for iPhone and iPad.
It has an extensive feature list including lists, push, geolocation and syncs your timeline with your Mac or iPad! Deeply customizable and yet friendly.
Follow your friends tweets, share your photos & videos, view conversations, who's nearby and find out what's trending at the moment.
- Send a new Tweet using Siri
- Apple Watch support. View your home timeline, mentions, direct messages, compose new tweets, tweet what you're listening to, reply and retweet
- Push notifications for direct messages and @ mentions
- Inline photo viewing & view your timeline in photos, including Animated Gif support
- Support for both Twitter's new reply format and the old legacy reply format
- Support for iPhone Xs Max and iPad Pro screens
- 3D touch support such as Peek & Pop support on iPhone 6s, 7, 8 and X, Spotlight search for your friends on Twitter and Quick Action support
- Mute users, hashtags and more. You can also muffle users, they aren't muted but show less prominently in the timeline
- Edit tweets. Made a mistake, edit your tweet quickly and easily
- Timeline sync to keep your location and read tweets in sync across multiple devices and platforms. Even supports TweetMarker service
- Facial recognition, will find faces in image previews and try to ensure they are visible on the screen
- Drag and drop support for Tweets and images
- iOS 12 and 3D Touch quick actions
- Post and search for animated gifs using Giphy
Current Version: 4.0.0 (April 13, 2019)
Changes in Version 4.0.0
Bet you thought we were sleeping, it's been a while since we made a major update. Well here it is, version 4.0 with with it we've merged Tweetings for iPhone and Tweetings for iPad into one Universal app.
This will allow us to bring updates to both iPhone and iPad at the same time, and bringing feature parity from the iPhone version to iPad.
- Tweetings is now a Universal app now also supporting iPad and iPad Pro
- You can now muffle user's directly from a Tweet without needing to go to their profile
- Drag and drop support on iPads. Drag photos from the status view, drag Tweets on the timeline or drop photos and text onto the New Tweet screen
- Added a share icon to timeline Tweets
- Default timeline font size increased by default for new installs on iPhone Plus, iPhone X, Xs and Xs Max
- Unable to filter saved searches by media
- Fixed some unresponsive menus when in accessibility mode
- Long pressing a link on the timeline to save to bookmarks didn't always work
Weather Gods (iOS, US$3.99)
Meet the Gods: Fire, Ice, Water, Air & Moon delivering you the Weather as you have never experienced it before. Weather Gods redefines the weather app with painstakingly crafted data visualizations, procedural graphics and audio that enable you to literally see, hear and feel the weather. With no more weather icons to decode, the Weather Gods is simply the quickest, most engaging, most enjoyable way to get the accurate weather information you need.
The Weather Gods skillfully integrates premium weather data into an elegant, iOS Exclusive, easy-to-use interface that will delight casual users and weather enthusiasts alike.
With a wealth of rich weather data from the world’s most respected providers, the Weather Gods provide detailed site-based forecasts for over a million locations worldwide. Our advanced, next-generation notifications are easy to setup and bring you exactly the information you want right when you need it.
With 24 hour charts, observed weather, built in moon phase, widget, world clock and much, much more, the Weather Gods is a powerful personal time machine that lets you travel the world and visit the future. Please come join us on this exciting journey as we begin our mission to bring you the finest, most practical, most enjoyable weather app experience ever. We can’t wait to hear what you think!
- Severe weather alerts for the US, Canada and Europe
- Day & Night summary for 7 Days with animated real-time weather backgrounds
- 7 Day HOURLY Forecast via the amazing ‘Weather Wheel’
- Advanced user-friendly weather notifications
- Weather based procedural soundscape
- Detailed 24 hour charts & hourly charting
- Moon phase, rise and fall
- Off-line mode for explorers & professionals
- World clock & international support
- Powerful accessibility support - 100% support for Voiceover
- Dashboard Widget
- Siri shortcuts
- 3D Touch Menu
- Taptic Engine support
- Combining the best global weather data sources available
- Over 1 million weather-accurate locations
- Complimentary 32 x sticker pack
Current Version: 2.0 (April 16, 2019)
Changes in Version 2.0
- Severe weather alerts for the USA, Canada and Europe are now available, within the app, the widget, Siri and as push notifications.
- New Siri shortcuts for weather alerts and weather conditions.
- Follow me can now include a check for weather alerts when you arrive at your destination.
- Voiceover users can enable and disable severe weather alerts in the locations screen using a custom rotor action.
- Voiceover users can pause and activate notifications in the locations screen using a custom rotor action.
- The locations screen now indicates which locations have severe weather alerts enabled and any locations which have notifications paused.
- We have tweaked all the images used for the watch complications.
- Notification schedule configuration has moved to the main settings screen.
- Notifications are now grouped on the lock screen into follow me notifications, severe weather alerts and our regular notifications.
- The smart weather conditions are now a little smarter.
- The widget summary for current conditions has added pressure reading, pressure trend, humidity and dew point.
- We have fixed some bugs with the Voiceover complications running on the Solar and Photo faces.
- The pressure algorithm on the watch has been tweaked to give a better trend.
- A bug that prevented Voiceover users from setting the threshold for the UV notification has been fixed.
- Sometimes the replace favourite screen didn’t perform too well for Voiceover users, this should be a lot better now.
ZOOM Cloud Meetings (iOS, Free)
Stay connected wherever you go – start or join a meeting with flawless video, crystal clear audio, instant screen sharing, and cross-platform instant messaging – for free!
Zoom is #1 in customer satisfaction and the best meeting experience on mobile.
It's super easy! Install the free Zoom app, click on "New Meeting," and invite up to 100 people to join you on video! Connect with anyone on iPad, iPhone, other mobile devices, Windows, Mac, Zoom Rooms, H.323/SIP room systems, and telephones.
- Best iPhone and iPad video meeting quality
- Best iPhone and iPad screen sharing quality
- Easily invite phone, email, or company contacts
- Contact availability status
- Virtual Background on iPhone 8, iPad 5, iPad Pro and all later models
- Screen share directly from your iPhone or iPad
- Screen share screen and applications
- Co-annotate during screen sharing on iPhone and iPad
- Real-time whiteboard collaboration on iPad
- Works over WiFi, 4G/LTE, and 3G networks
- Safe driving mode while on the road and works with Apple Carplay
- Siri Shortcuts to customize your own voice commands to start, join and listen to a list of upcoming meetings
Current Version: 4.4.0 (April 16, 2019)
Changes in Version 4.4.0
- Support Siri Shortcuts to view today’s meetings, join the next meeting, and start my personal meeting
- Click a Zoom meeting link in the Google Calendar to launch the Zoom app directly
- Display today’s meetings before the recurring meetings
- Switch between video and content sharing
- Option to disable chat during a meeting
- Option to disallow participants to rename themselves
- Display an indicator for Audio Watermark
- Support recording consent
- Call a room system directly from the Meet & Chat tab
- Alert me when someone is available
- Create personal contact groups
- Display a Draft indicator for unfinished messages
- Add a New Message indicator in the chat window
- Use Return key to return to a new line
- Upgrade a Zoom phone call to a Zoom meeting
- Option to block phone numbers from the History tab and the Voicemail tab
- View and call contacts from phone address book
- Log into the same Zoom account on multiple mobile devices
- Accessibility enhancements
- Brasilia’s time zone is not displayed correctly
- Other minor bugs
Recent News and Views
Apple Shares Information on its New Accessibility Events Feature; Most Notably that it's not Enabled by Default
By AppleVis | April 10, 2019
In the latest versions of iOS and macOS, Apple introduced a new setting called “Accessibility Events” for users of assistive technology.
This new feature tells websites when an assistive technology, such as a screen reader, is being used by the site visitor, enabling developers to customize the behavior of the website accordingly. One example would be to ensure that any custom controls such as custom web sliders are accessible by users.
For blind web users, this should have been received as a positive step towards enhancing the accessibility and user experience of the content on the web.
Unfortunately, the actual reaction of many was far from positive, as Apple's launch of this new feature left a lot to be desired:
- There was minimal documentation provided on what Accessibility Events is and how it works.
- The setting is somewhat ‘buried’ in the OS settings, where many users would likely never stumble upon it.
- The setting appeared to be enabled by default.
It was the last of these which caused the greatest consternation, with many people arguing it shouldn’t be on by default as they don’t want websites or their developers knowing they are blind.
Today, Apple has published a Knowledge Base article about Accessibility Events in which it addresses people's concerns and provides more information on this new feature.
Probably most significant in this article, is the clarification that Accessibility Events is in fact not enabled by default:
While the Accessibility Events control is on by default, the feature only functions when the AOM setting is enabled, which is a developer feature that is off by default.
Detecting Accessibility Events: Apple Wants Websites to Know I’m a Screen Reader User, but How About Asking Me First
By Nicholas | April 4, 2019
A new feature for VoiceOver users called "Accessibility Events" was introduced in iOS 12.2 and macOS 10.14.4 without any announcement or documentation. I cannot find any info about this feature on Apple's website. Even the installed Help files say nothing about it, so far. The only information given is a short description label in the Mac Preferences and IOS settings, shown below. To the best of my knowledge, which is quite limited at this time, leaving it turned on allows webmasters and anyone else who cares to know to discover if you have VoiceOver running.
"Accessibility Events allow websites to customize their behavior for assistive technologies, like VoiceOver. Enabling Accessibility Events may reveal whether an assistive technology is active..."
My own Opinion
Detecting Accessibility Events has been a hot topic of late, with many siding on one approach or the other. Most that see it as a benefit seem to be web developers. Most who think of it as a negative, seem to be the very people that it affects, the blind and visually impaired. After reading through many blog and forum sites, I can not decide how to feel about the situation. It seems that there are benefits and drawbacks to both sides. One aspect of it gives me apprehension, the unknown, unrequested gathering of information about me or my computer and devices, with the expectation that it will always be used for positive purposes. Browser cookies were meant to be this way also, yet in the past many spyware, malware and virus infections were spread through the digital world using cookies. Almost every new boon to the digital world has also been used for nefarious purposes by unscrupulous persons. Add to that the rampant hacking of businesses, agencies and their websites and databases and it can give me cause to pause. Even someone using my information for legitimate reasons can lose hold of that info. Do I now have to be concerned about Identity Theft as well? I believe my own choice would be for the web to have as little information about me and my devices as possible. The info about my digital life that is released to the world should be my choice. I am glad that apple gave me a choice by supplying a setting, but not happy that they made a decision for me with turning it on by default. Now that I consider it, I think I am siding with not being involved with the whole Accessibility Events thing.
This Month in Podcasts
This Month's Podcasts by Thomas Domville
- How to Tell if Your iPhone is New, Refurbished or a Replacement
- How to Enable Reader View in Safari Automatically for iOS
- Enjoy using Skills and Games with Amazon Alexa for iOS
- Fast and Accurate Scanning with Voice Dream Scanner for iOS
A Short Series by Khalfan Bin Dhaher on Swift Playgrounds for iPad
- Learn to Code with Swift Playgrounds on iPad - Part 1
- Learn to Code with Swift Playgrounds on iPad - Part 2
- Learn to Code with Swift Playgrounds on iPad - Part 3
AppleVis Unleashed April 2019: Oh My Glob
In this month's edition of AppleVis Unleashed, Thomas Domville, Randy Rusnak, and Mike Malarsie discuss recent Apple news and other topics of interest. Topics featured in this podcast include:
- Apple and Qualcomm Reach Settlement, Agree to Drop All Litigation
- Apple's HomePod gets price cut, now $300
- Apple now offering data migrations for free with new Mac purchases and repairs
- Apple Shares Information on its New Accessibility Events Feature; Most Notably that it's not Enabled by Default
- Next year, Apple could finally give iPhone SE loyalists what they've been clamoring for
- New small, cheaper, iPhone in 2020 says report
Whaaaat? Using Made for iPhone hearing aids from a VoiceOver users perspe.... whaaaaat?
In this podcast, Scott Davert shows us the features available with MFi supported hearing aids or Cochlear Implant processors from the perspective of a VoiceOver user. MFi compatible hearing aids come from many manufacturers and there are many models supported. You can see Apple's official support page which gives a fairly accurate account of which hearing aids have MFi support. However, this article has not been updated since October 2018, so anything newer than that will not be listed on this page.
For more general information about hearing aids from a blindness perspective, you can listen to this Accessibility Moving Forward podcast featuring some familiar voices to AppleVis.
Finally, there is a mailing list for blind hearing aid users that you can join by sending a blank email to email@example.com.
Easily and Quickly Use Emojis with Rocket for the Mac
In this podcast, Robin Christopherson introduces us to Rocket, a Mac App which claims to be the fastest, smoothest Slack-style emoji picker for your Mac.
Quick Tip: Using the Text Selection Rotor to Select Text on iOS
In this podcast, Tyler Stephen gives us a Quick Tip: Using the Text Selection Rotor to Select Text on iOS.
Quick Tip: Using the New Features in Seeing AI for iOS
In this podcast, Robin Christopherson takes us through some nice new features recently added to Microsoft's popular Seeing AI app for iOS.
Quick Tip: Three Examples of Where a Double-Tap and Hold can Make your use of iOS more Efficient and Productive
In this short podcast, Graham Langford shares three quick tips on where you can use a 1-finger double-tap and hold (also known as a “long-press”) to be more efficient and productive on iOS.
- Quickly access draft emails in the iOS Mail app with a “long-press” on the Compose button.
- Quickly archive an email message with a “long-press” on the Delete button.
- “Long-press” on the Delete key on the iOS keyboard to delete text faster - in some instances, the speed will increase incrementally with the amount of time you are holding the key.
A complete list of all podcasts posted to the AppleVis website can be found at www.applevis.com/podcasts
Club AppleVis offers members and friends of our community a means of directly contributing towards the financial costs of operating AppleVis—thus ensuring that we can continue to deliver the information, help, and support that so many people have come to value and rely on over the past 9 years.
To learn more about Club AppleVis; the perks of membership; and how you can join, please visit www.applevis.com/club-applevis
The AppleVis Editorial Team