Description of App:
As featured in the iTunes Special Education section, Read2Go is the most accessible DAISY ebook reader for iOS.
For questions on how to best use Read2Go, contact support(at)bookshare.org.
From within Read2Go, you can browse, search, download, and read books directly from Bookshare using your Bookshare membership, as well as read DAISY books from other sources. The app gives you full control over visual choices for font size and color, background and highlighting color, and text-to-speech preferences. Read2Go features word-by-word highlighting for multi-modal reading.
“I'm a high school student with dyslexia and find Bookshare essential to help me read all of my school books. With Read2Go I can download a book and start reading it in seconds. I don't stick out in class because people are familiar with iPods.” - 15-year old student
“The Read2Go app is beautiful in its simplicity. The navigation tools allow even young students to use it effortlessly. The highlighted text-to-speech provides a wonderful opportunity for individuals with print disabilities to increase word recognition and improve fluency. Bravo Bookshare for making a complex process appear seamless and effortless, a true mark of excellence.” – Parent of child with a print disability.
“I now rely solely on Read2Go for daily reading of the NY Times and my local papers. While waiting on the BART train concourse, commuting to work, flying from Oakland to Los Angeles and to the east coast, Read2Go grants me instant access and ease of use to capture and read many books and publications.” – Adult with a print disability.
• Direct access to Bookshare
• Fast and seamless browse/search and download of Bookshare books
• Opens encrypted Bookshare books
• Bookshelf organizes your downloaded books
• Auto-resume reading position
• Displays Table of Contents
• Full support for all 6 levels of DAISY navigation built in to structure of book
• High-quality Acapela voices, one male and female, for highly natural narration
• Compatible with native Apple accessibility features such as VoiceOver (additional improvements planned)
• Synchronized word-by-word highlighting and reading words out loud
• Control of font size up to 70 pts
• Control of text-to-speech audio, either on or off for text-only or text-to-speech mode
• Control of rate of audio
• Reads DAISY 3.0 and 2.02
• iTunes transfer of non-Bookshare DAISY books to your device
• Educational institutions wishing to purchase 20 licenses or more can get a discount through the Apple Volume Licensing Program for Education
Read2Go is a versatile app that allows you to read how you want to read:
• Read words on the screen with synchronized text-to-speech (Read2Go audio on)
• Read with highly natural Acapela voices and navigate with VoiceOver gestures (Read2Go audio on, VoiceOver on)
• Read with Apple VoiceOver gestures and voice (VoiceOver on, Read2Go audio off)
• Read with many choices of font size, color and backgrounds, and no voices (Read2Go and VoiceOver off)
• Read with Braille displays connected via Bluetooth
What's New in Version 188.8.131.52
• Fixed issues with page slider.
• Fixed issues with accessing books created using Kurzweil DAISY 3.
• Fixed issues with user authentication dialog.
• Fixed issues with skipping fractions that precede whole numbers
• Fixed issues with display of “code” samples in computer books
• Fixed issues with auto-lock. Read2Go will allow device to auto-lock while playback is occurring.
• Added the ability to turn off the text highlighting.
Apple Watch Support:
Free or Paid:
Device(s) App Was Tested On:
This is beautifully accessible, and comes up with great introductory information and help. The direct access to Bookshare is extremely convenient. You have the option of using VoiceOver or reading with the (U.S. English) Heather or Ryan voices that are included with the app. Voice rate is controllable, as is font size, color of background, foreground, and highlighting for low vision users. A single universal version of the app works on all devices. You can also connect via Bluetooth to specific Braille devices. An excellent first version of this app.
I'd love to see support for other language voices, or even options to purchase additional voices (e.g. U.K. English) via in-app purchase. I think it's particularly useful that they include a high-quality male Acapela voice with the app, since some VoiceOver users have reported difficulties with using the female voices that are currently the sole options for VoiceOver on iOS devices.