Welcome to the August 2021 edition of AppleVis Unlimited, our monthly newsletter which highlights what’s new and noteworthy on the AppleVis website. Below, you’ll find a selection of content posted to AppleVis by members of the community - from new app entries, to app updates, to the latest news and podcasts. For easier navigation, the major sections of this post are at heading level 3, and each individual item is at heading level 4.
New and Noteworthy App Entries
Accessible Simon (iOS/iPadOS, US$0.99)
Got time to kill?
Need to improve your memory skills?
This game will drive you nuts!
Listen to the sequence of directions and wait for the beep.
Repeat the sequence by swiping
- Choice of symbols.
- Choice of voice.
- This game has been designed for blind , visually impaired and sighted players.
Current Version: 0.0.6 (July 24, 2021)
battle fruit (iOS/iPadOS, US$1.99)
Based on the classic sea battle game but now with kitchen utensils and fruits, instead of bombs and ships. Original new rules, many more ways to locate your opponents’ fruits, but remember not to hit the ice cubes, or you’ll be frozen one turn.
- Ultra-fast games thanks to the variety of utensils. Locate the fruits with the spoons, cut them with the knives, crush them with the blenders or catch whole fruits with the tongs, just plan your moves to locate all the fruits before your opponent does.
- Play against the machine and win the 500+ smoothie cups, no internet required. Or connect with Game Center and play with your family and friends, or with random opponents.
- NO ADS, NO REGISTER, NO DATA GATHERING, because modern life has already enough distractions.
- Totally accessible with VoiceOver for people with low vision or blindness.
Current Version: 1.210804 (August 4, 2021)
All recent app entries posted to AppleVis can be found at:
Notable App Updates
Swordy Quest: An RPG Adventure (iOS/iPadOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
Exclusive to iOS & from the creators of Fantasy Worldcraft comes their latest global app. Fully VoiceOver compatible.
Imagine waking up with no name, food or supplies. Where are you? Lake to the East, Mountains to the South. It doesn’t matter now. YOU NEED TO SURVIVE. Set in a Fantasy and Living World, your goal is clear: Save humanity. Find water and food while fending off the habitants of the world. Gather, craft, hunt & cast magic for rewards and progression. Can you unlock the secrets of Swordy Quest?
Current Version: 5.2 (August 26, 2021)
Changes in Version 5.0
RELEASE GOAL: This large release focuses on the introduction of a new Gigantic Realm called The Infinite. With over 1,000,000 maps covering all existing Biomes and a brand new Neverdora Biome. Over 100 new Enemies have been created & a new Swordy Book logging system, to see which enemies you have found & which ones you have defeated.
- Added new Realm called The Infinite.
- Added a new Commodity to The Infinite Maps.
- Added key locations (Villages, Castles, Shrines, etc) to Infinite map.
- Added the new Biome of Neverdora. A land & people only found in The Infinite Map.
- Added new maps covering every single biome in the game, into the Infinite Realm.
- Added Purebred, Crossbreed and Mongrel enemy lines resulting from the evolution of enemies within The Infinite Realm.
- All Infinite Map enemies now have names with syllables based on the body parts that make up each Enemy Mutant.
- Need to craft a Magic Portable Portal to access The Infinite Maps.
- Added a ‘Swordy Book’ page to the Camp section allowing players to see their progress in hunting down every single enemy in the game.
- Enemies seen & defeated list now appears in Castles within The Infinite.
- If you see an Enemy, but haven’t defeated them yet, they are visible and fully VoiceOver described in the Enemies List Page.
- Made enemies in the Infinite Map different difficulties depending on the Biome that is being visited currently.
- Purebreds are far rarer to find that Crossbreeds, which are rarer to find than Mongrels. Rarity increases as you go up the biomes within the Infinite Map.
- Rarer Enemies in the Infinite give you far more resources.
- Added Achievement Crystals for Major Level Landmarks (25, 50, 100, 150, 250, 500).
- Added levels to all Enemies (higher levels are stronger but give more loot)
- Levelling up restores all Health, Stamina, Water and Food.
- The content of new releases is now automatically presented to players when they update to a new version.
- Added ability to Share your Achievements with your friends, when you unlock them.
- Added new gathering and hunting environments for the Infinite Map.
- Added new Unlockable Achievements, giving you extra health for killing all enemies in a given Map or Infinite Biome.
- Added Upper Mountains, Infinite Ocean, Dense Shrubbery & Pastures to the Infinite.
- Stronger breeds of Infinite Enemies are stronger and often rarer, but give more resources when defeated.
- Added full VoiceOver accessibility to The Swordy Book page, All new Enemies and All new Maps
- Added VoiceOver Heading sections to Actions Homepage to navigate different sections of content.
- Made it more obvious with sounds and haptic feedback, when a player is actually knocked unconscious.
- Split Fight page into different VoiceOver sections differentiated by Headings.
- 1 in 5 chance of enemy attacking each time you clear a gather area. Reduced from enemy attacking every time.
- Dragons in The Beyond now give out 3 random Dragon Parts when you defeat them rather than just 1.
- Added new Infinite Enemy defeating tasks to the Actions Homepage for more advanced players.
- All enemy fights are now stored so if app crashes or is force quit during a battle the current enemy type & health is stored. Makes rare enemy hunting easier.
- Enemies you have yet to defeat are clearly marked when you fight them (visually and within VoiceOver).
- Performance improvements made to map loading to help with Battery life.
- Updated Clan Skills to Clan Awards so they make more sense as items owned.
- Updated storyline so Defeating Argus will now explain The Infinite Map and its evolving Creatures contained within.
- Added defeated cries for enemies when they are beaten.
- Added new Music for the new Neverdora Biome and The Infinite Ocean.
- New music now plays when you fight an enemy you have not yet defeated (since the Infinite Map has been released).
Voice Reader Speech Central (iOS/iPadOS, Free)
Great voices at free tier, feature set that matches or exceeds the competition and no subscription for the premium tier, that is the reason why you’ll love Speech Central. With over 10,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
- listen to the all web pages - both articles and headlines (first ever) supported
- RSS feeds
- import from any app that can share a link like Safari or Twitter
- open articles from headline pages
- sync articles with Pocket
- The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats
- Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in
- Export the text with annotations to .docx format
- Sync playlist items across Apple devices including with the macOS app and the current position in the text.
- Functions of audio buttons can be customized for high productivity and accessibility. The widest selection of tools to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
- The app can be used with dozens of languages that have text-to-speech support on the device with automatic language detection from the content.
- import the text from the camera or from the scanned PDF using OCR
- Export the text to the audio file
- The app is completely free for blind people. It is tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
- Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content even when the syncing is enabled
By moving your reading activities to commuting, walking, running, doing the housework or another activity you can save an hour each day. You’ll also save eyes for better things while having your battery and data plan last significantly longer. Keeping the screen off grants that you won’t get into the internet addiction and waste your time on unwanted things, and thus it can also help people with ADHD. As a bonus, even if your internet connection is unstable you won’t notice any interruptions.
Current Version: 10.66 (August 25, 2021)
Changes in Version 10.50
The app is now completely free for the blind people, no ads, no personal data collection or any other hidden cost. This can happen due to our large community of regular users whose purchases are enough to keep the app sustainable and who can be now proud that they are not just using the best text-to-speech app but also at the same time making the life of blind people easier!
WeWALK - Accessible Navigation (iOS/iPadOS, Free With In-App Purchases)
WeWALK is an accessible mobility application developed by blind people for visually impaired and low vision.
WeWALK App is a fully accessible application developed to enable visually impaired people to explore their surroundings and get accessible navigation.
With WeWALK, you can get step-by-step navigation to where you want to go and discover the locations around you in an accessible manner.
You can view the public transportation stops near you and learn the times of the public transportation lines passing through the stop. When you get on the public vehicle, when approaching the stop where you will get off, WeWALK notifies you by sending notifications to not miss the stop.
WeWALK is designed to be fully accessible for an unobstructed navigation experience. With WeWALK navigation, you can examine different routes, choose the route you want to go, walk to the public transportation stop, wait for the public transportation line, and get notifications when approaching the stop when you get on the vehicle of your choice. So you can have an end-to-end accessible navigation experience. During navigation, WeWALK shows additional information such as intersections, stairs, elevators so that you can learn additional information about the route you are going, and you can travel easily. WeWALK is developed in conjunction with the visually impaired community and is fully compatible with screen readers.
Current Version: 2.8.1 (August 20, 2021)
Changes in Version 2.8
This version includes the following innovations;
- AIM (Artificial Intelligence Mobility) feature where you can analyze your average speed, distance, confidence level and time spent outdoors
- Graphics where you can examine the effect of your self-confidence change, crowded environments or being in new places on your average speed.
This release also fixes the following issues;
- Slowness that can be experienced in the Steps and Distances feature
- Crashes when using voice assistant
- Navigation algorithm update on turns
- Mobility analysis data calculations
Recent News and Views
- A Review of the Brailliant BI 20X
- A Review of the Brailliant BI 40X
- Xiaomi Mi Body Composition Scale 2: better than I expected
This Month in Podcasts
AppleVis Unleashed August 2021: My Litter Box and the Color Coordinated Folders
In this month’s edition of AppleVis Unleashed, Thomas Domville, Randy Rusnak, and Mike Malarsie discuss recent Apple news and other topics of interest. Topics featured in this podcast include:
- FlickType Pulling iPhone Keyboard App After Continued Rejection Issues
- iPhone 13, AirPods 3, Apple Watch Series 7, and iPad mini 6 Launching this Fall
- Apple could hike price of iPhone 13 to cover increasing chip costs
- ‘iPhone 13’ Apple Event date & launch timeline revealed by leaker
- Will iPhone 13 be enough of an upgrade?
- 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros Finally Enter Mass Production
How to play Fantasy Premier League on your iPhone with VoiceOver
Fantasy Premier League is a massively popular game based on the English Premier League, enjoyed by millions around the world. In this video Dave Nason demonstrates how to pick your team, make transfers, join mini leagues and more using the VoiceOver screen-reader on the iPhone.
We look mainly at the Official Premier League app, but also at the official website in Safari for some tasks.
Hot AppleVis Content
Here are some of our forum topics which have got people talking in the past month:
- Discontinuing FlickType Keyboard for iPhone
- Leading text-to-speech app is now free for the blind
- Wotja 21 now has provisional VoiceOver support for iOS & iPadOS
- Wotja 21 now has provisional VoiceOver support for macOS.
- My OCR screen reader app FishScreenReader has been updated to 2.0!
- Weather Gods 3.3 Released
- I’m curious, how do you use VoiceOver activities?
Club AppleVis offers members and friends of our community a means of directly contributing towards the financial costs of operating AppleVis—thus ensuring that we can continue to deliver the information, help, and support that so many people have come to value and rely on since our launch in 2010.
To learn more about Club AppleVis; the perks of membership; and how you can join, please visit www.applevis.com/club-applevis
We wish you all good health and happiness.
The AppleVis Editorial Team