I am here to proudly bring you instructions on how to set up text message forwarding under iOS 8.1 and later.
First, you must have an iPhone 4s or later running at least iOS 8.1. Second, you must have any iPad or iPod Touch, also running at least iOS 8.1. If you plan to enable your mac for text message forwarding, it must be running OS X Yosemite or later.
Now that's out the way let's get started.
1. On your iPhone, go to settings, double tap messages then double tap text message forwarding.
2. Double tap on a device to turn it on. The device displayed should look like this:
chris's macbook pro
3. You will be prompted to enter the six digit number displayed on the device you are setting up for text message forwarding. Please enter the number exactly as shown. Once done, double tap allow.
The iPad or iPod Touch needs to be unlocked in order for the number to be shown. The mac needs to have the Messages app open and in the foreground before the number will be displayed.
4. If successful, your device will be enabled for text message forwarding!
5. (optional) Now do this for any other device(s) you wish to set up for text message forwarding.
To use it, simply compose or reply to a message on your iPad, iPod Touch or Mac, as if it was an iMessage, except now you can also compose and reply to SMS messages and, if enabled and supported by your carrier, MMS messages.
Standard messaging rates may apply.
Hope you find this guide useful, and enjoy!
P.S. I appreciate any comments good or bad on this guide. Thank you!