Hi all. I've noticed for some time that VoiceOver misreads the word spelled V-O-L-U-M-E-S. It reads it as "Volume VolYooms". I don't know why VoiceOver does this, nor why it has persisted for several releases. But I finally found a workaround.
I opened the VoiceOver utility with VO+F8, went to Speech, then Pronunciation. I added a new entry. I told it to change the pronunciation of the word V-O-L-U-M-E-S, and instead pronounce it as V-O-L-Y-O-O-M-S. This resolves the issue.
I imagine I can do the same thing on iOS, but really it's MacOS where I run into this most frequently.
I hope this helps.