Hi, when I use the up or down arrow keys in Word, voiceover is reading the entire document. The same thing happens when I press Vo+l. The up and down arrows should only read one line at a time. The voiceover cursor seems to be stuck.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated before I uninstall and reinstall Word. This is not a compatibility issue because the program works fine on another computer that is running the same program and mac os. I have already reinstalled the mac os, so it seems to be a setting somewhere in Word.
Thanks for any thoughts.
RE: Voiceover and Word, cursor issue fix?
Hi Christine -- The issue seems to be fixed in the current Microsoft Office beta version 16.60 (22032100).
If you are in the US and would like to add your input on this issue, you can contact the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk at 800-936-5900 and reference case number 1036959459.
Issue: After updating Microsoft Office through the Mac App Store from 16.58 to 16.59 on a 2020 M1 MacBook Air running macOS 12.3 with the built-in VoiceOver screen reader active, pressing the up or down arrow keys in a Word document or Outlook email causes VoiceOver to speak the entire body of the document beginning from the top.
Steps to reproduce the issue:
1. Open Microsoft Word or Outlook.
2. Create a new blank document or email.
3. Type several lines of text into the document or email body.
4. Press the up or down arrow key to move line-by-line.
Expected result: VoiceOver will read the current line.
Actual result: Each press of the up or down arrow key causes VoiceOver to speak the entire document, starting from the top of the document.
Troubleshooting steps taken:
1. Standard VoiceOver troubleshooting steps, including toggle VO off/on, reboot computer, reset VO to defaults. Result: Issue still exists.
2. Standard OS and app troubleshooting steps, including making sure all updates are installed, adjusting Word & Outlook settings, rebooting the computer, and trying to replicate the issue in non-Office apps. Result: Issue still exists in Word & Outlook, but cannot be replicated in TextEdit, Mail.app, Pages, Keynote, or any other apps outside of MS Office.
3. Called Microsoft Disability Answer Desk. Result: Support Rep did not find other references to this issue. Rep suggested uninstalling/reinstalling Office. I agreed to try this at end of day. Rep opened case number 1036959459.
4. Uninstalled/reinstalled Office from the Mac App Store. Result: Issue still exists.
5. Uninstall Mac App Store version of Office and download and install Office directly from Microsoft website (Filename = Microsoft_Office_16.59.22031300_Installer.dmg). Result: Issue still exists.
6. Used Microsoft AutoUpdate.app version 4.45 to update to the current Office Preview. Result: Issue still exists.
7. Used Microsoft AutoUpdate.app version 4.45 to update to the current Office beta, version 16.60.22031600. Result: Issue no longer occurs.
Thanks so much
Fixed!! Yes, I will call Microsoft–spoke with them yesterday, but they didn't seem to have anyone else with that trouble. Thank you soooo much!
Hello all! Thank you so much…
Thank you so much...
Same problem here.
3 Macs running Big Sur and Office 365.
Only one Mac had that problem.
I just changed my Office update channel to "Beta" and got version 16.60.
Now reading and writing is possible again.
Best! / Martin
I just updated to 16.60 via the regular update channel. I can navigate up and down but sideward-navigation doesn't work well. When I press arrow left or right repeatedly VO does not speak the letter under the cursor one by one. Instead sometimes it speaks whole words and it is not possible to know under which letter the cursor currently is located.
I have not experienced that problem. I have continued to update Word to the most recent beta version. I'm sure you have done this, but maybe double check that quicknav isn't on by pressing left and right arrow keys together. Sometimes, mine turns on accidentally. Good luck.
I am trying to update my…
I am trying to update my version but it says no updates available. Last two numbers in my version is still 59 not 60.