Equivalent to home and end keys and spell-check question

macOS and Mac Apps
Hello, I've had a Mac for a while now but there's a couple of things I kept wanting to ask, but it was one of those things I never got round to for some reason. 1. Does anyone know of an equivilant to the home and end keys on windows? I would proffer to use them for things like when using iMessage, I sometimes have to scrole down the full conversation to read the last few messages, or for scroling straight to the bottom or top of a document, similar to pressing CTRL +home or end on Windows. 2. Does anyone know how to use spell-check when not in an Apple app? For example I use Google Chrome as my main browser, and everything is accessible appart from spell-check. When typing this for example, I seem to have to type it out in text edit first, then spell-check it then paste it into the message box. I have a MacBook Air 2012 11 inch if that helps with the home and end key question. Thanks for any help.



Submitted by mehgcap on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Member of the AppleVis Editorial Team

Home is function-left arrow, end is function-right arrow. The commands to move to the visible top or bottom are vo-home and vo-end, respectively; add shift to move to the top or bottom, regardless of visibility on screen. I usually use the latter, with the shift key.

Putting that together, you get a rather awkward keystroke: beginning is ctrl-option-function-shift-left arrow, and end is ctrl-option-function-shift-right arrow. Again, you can leave off shift, but that may not always do what you want. Remember, too, to interact with the item whose beginning or end you want to jump to, as these commands act on whichever object VoiceOver is interacting with at the moment.

If you want, you can assign these to commanders to make life easier. Personally, I use control with a two-finger flick down for end, and up for home, but you can use whatever you want to. The relevant commands should be in the "navigation" submenu of VoiceOver commands when you are assigning them.

Submitted by Callum on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

In reply to by mehgcap

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying out a load of different key strokes, some with VO keys and some without but I'd never have guest all that :) It does what I want, but I think I might end up setting it as a comander.

Submitted by splyt on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

If you are working with text, cmd + left will do the home and cmd + right will perform the end. The home and end (fn + kleft and fn + right arrows respectively) does not behave like home and end keys do on windows. Thhey will put you on the very beginning or the very end of a text or anything else you have your focus in but will not go to beginning or the end of a text line. As for the spell check I am also curious about how to use it. Marlon

Windows key - Mac Equivalent Home - Command left arrow End - Command right arrow Control Home - Command up arrow Control end - command down arrow Also, with spell check, although I have never used google chrome, I seem to remember it was as simple as pressing command shift ; (or command :), and there was a text field with the misspelled word, and a table of suggested corrections. The change button was default, so you could use the arrow keys up and down the table, then just hit enter. HTH.

Submitted by Callum on Saturday, April 12, 2014

In reply to by Chris Norman

That is how the spell check works, however in Google chrome when you navigate to a misspelled word, the table of suggested corrections doesn't come up. And I think the command you were thinking was CMD +; to check the document. This doesn't do anything either. It all works in safari, text edit, pages etc, I just can't get it to work on that app.