We've got another release just hitting the App Store about now.
Although only a point release, it does have some good stuff (I hope) :)
1. Follow Me Notifications. This is a notification which gives you the weather for a 24 hour period for your current place. It doesn't have to be a favorite. It might be you're on a day trip, on a long road trip, visiting a friend etc Weather Gods will try and detect when it thinks you are stationary, ignoring trains, planes and automobiles (and bikes), and deliver a 'follow me' notification. Please note - we only deliver one, you wont be spammed all day !!
The notification is split into four time periods, each lasting 6 hours. The time periods are labeled morning, afternoon, evening and overnight. Your arrival time determines the first time period. For example, let's suppose you arrive at your destination late afternoon on Tuesday. You're going to get a notification for your destination that starts with the weather for Tuesday evening, overnight Tuesday into Wednesday then Wednesday morning and finally Wednesday afternoon.
Each notification has the temperature for the time period, a short weather summary, and an optional longer piece of weather text - which wont always be there ... and tends to show up if there is something of importance with the weather for that time period. For example it might indicate strong winds, turning colder, hard freeze, local flooding etc
Follow me notifications happen automatically, providing they are switched on in the locations screens. There is a toggle switch next to the current location label.
You do need to have allowed Weather Gods to always use your location and enabled push notifications. The location tracking uses as little of the battery as possible and is the one Apple recommends for this kind of feature.
It's worth saying that they were difficult to get working and I'm still working on smoothing the edges and ironing out the bugs, so please bear with us.
2. we think we have nailed the watch complication. The previous version was pretty bad at updating on the watch face (sorry). Now, we aim to update every 30 minutes if possible. It seems to be working well and I would like to pass on my thanks to Cliff Isaksen who helped me with the testing ... and made sure I got on and fixed it :) :) Thanks Cliff!
3. you will find that almost all your locations now have an altitude value - except the Apple GPS location which is a bit patchy on providing this information - I'm still digging into why this might be. I'm hoping to use the altitude to straighten out the pressure observations in the app, which are barometric, and align them with the forecast part of the app which is mean sea level pressure. We need altitude as part of the conversion formula.
4. The weather wheel now includes the wind direction.
5. Smart weather conditions in the widget and the watch got a little bit smarter. You should find we prioritise a wind speed over a 'no gusts' label, amongst other things.
6. Added support for the 'Dark System Color' accessibility option - this is particularly useful if you prefer to run with the classic invert colors from iOS10 instead of the smart version from iOS11. If you switch on the Dark System Color option then you should have a Weather Gods app which inverts colors like the iOS 10 version.
7. We fixed a bug where the weather did not update after resuming from backgrounding the app.
8. We fixed some responsive bugs with the weather wheel navigation buttons.
9. Startup is a tad faster.
10. Finally, fixed a whole bunch of crashes which made their way (sadly) into 1.6 - I did say it was a massive change under the hood and wasn't wrong there!!
Please let me know how you find the follow me notifications - if they prove useful, then I can enhance them further - one idea is a follow me severe weather alert for a location you are visiting?
As ever, if you are enjoying the Weather Gods and haven't left a review then we would really appreciate a review on the App Store please. There is a direct link in Settings.
The next release 1.6.2 is a bit of a bug fix ... but I am hoping to work on a custom watch layout, specifically for voiceover.
Have a great day and I hope the weather is kind - in the UK we are experiencing a little bit of a cold spell and some snow (rare for us) - needless to say, my daughters are excited!!