Problems downloading iOS 8.4 update
Hi. My name is Hope and i have a question. I know that ios 8.4 has been released to the public, but when i go to general and software update, the update pops up but will not let m update my device. Is that a common thing with updates?
Hello Hope. You are most likely experiencing a servor jam as everyone around the world is trying to update their devices. Just continue trying or wait until later. This is quite common, especially on release day.
Thanks for letting me no. Thats one thing I didn't no. I'll be sure to remember that.
If you can try to make the update using Itunes. This way you make sure that the update will occur only when the image is safely and intirely transfered to your machine. Trying to download something in real time when servers are overloaded might not be a good idea I guess.
If downloading from itunes requires a computer to do, I cant do it because i don't have a computer that workss.
In iOs, there is a known bug where Voiceover may not be able to navigate to the, "Download and install," button which initiates the update process. This is especially noticeable when flicking left and right by element. If this is your issue, not finding the button, try moving around the screen with your finger until you come across it.
No computer is needed in order to update an iDevice. It can be done over the air. It took me just over an hour from start to finish. Consider plugging in if battery power is low.
For me to download the update, what do i have to type in the itunes search feild to find the software?
Downloading an update through iTunes requires a computer.
When you connect your iPhone to iTunes, tab to phone enter and tab to update and enter. It will go and get it for you. It will take a while. I tried to do it via my iPhone but could not get it to work. It did not had nothing to do with to many people using it. The same problem we had last update with 8.2 regarding going to general, update and check was happening to my iPhone 83. Now install it with no issues in iTunes.
yes but, if you don't have a computer then you can't install it using itunes on a computer.
So the best thing and only thing you can do is install it by going to, settings, tapping on general, then tapping on software update. wait for a couple of minutes or seconds depending on your speed of wifi, then click on download and then an agree dialog should pop up, click I agree and it should start downloading. I hope this helps.
Here are the exact steps to updating over-the-air. Yes, I know iTunes is easier for some folks but not everyone has a computer like Hope, so I'm giving these directions to try and make life a bit easier for her.
1. go to settings and double-tap to open it.
2. swipe to the right a few times until you find general, and then double tap that to open it.
3. In this next screen, the first element is about, and the second one is software update. Software update is the one you want, so double-tap that and your phone will go out and check for an update. It should notice that it's available by now, as the update was made available as of 11 AM eastern this morning.
4. Now here's the tricky part, if the download and install button doesn't appear immediately, wait a minute or two, and hopefully it'll appear on its own. A lot of people are still downloading the update so the servers may be jammed. You may want to wait a while to do the update. Also, you may want to make sure your phone has a bit of free space on it, as sometimes these updates are kind of large and may take some time on slower connections. You'll want to use Wi-Fi unless you have unlimited data. If you don't, you'll go over your data limit in a big hurry, so make sure you have all this figured out before continuing.
5. So once that download and install button appears, you may need to locate it manually, or I actually used what's called verticle navigation which allows someone to find areas of the screen a bit easier especially on an iPhone 6. Sometimes there are buttons or other elements that aren't easy to get to. So once you double-tap that download and install button, you'll need to agree to the terms of service a couple times. Apple wants to make sure you understand them so go ahead and do that. Once you do your software will download.
6. When it's ready to install, this is a time when a lot of iOS users get a little nervous because when doing over-the-air updates, unfortunately you lose the ability to have VoiceOver running during the installation process. This may take up to 10 minutes, so while it installs you might want to go stretch your legs a bit, or go get a snack or a drink while the process happens. If all goes well in a few minutes your phone will vibrate twice, and VoiceOver will come up as normal once again and your update will be complete. You may have to sign into some services like iCloud, iMessage and anything else you might use, so you'll want to be ready to do that. But that's the idea, I hope this explanation helps.
Thanks. That helped. Thats what I did. I did it on my ipod. Now theres another problem. My phone won't update now. When i go to settings and general and double tap on software update, I go to the download and install button and double tap like usual, but instead of saying downloading, it says update has been requested and the button is dimed. What do i do to update my iphone?
Hi. the update has requested message means that you're basicly standing in line. You're also in a cue with other users waiting for the update. so if you can, waita while and the download will be available, or try it again tomorrow and hopefully it'll be available then.
yes, but the problem is when you get that message, you can't cancel it if it just sits their. that is the exact problem I had today, so i had to restore my phone via iTunes. yes, I was beta testing iOS eight. I had this problem last update as well.
Yeah thats what i did. I waited and it gave me the alert to do the update so i did and now my phhone is updated along with my ipod :) Software updates are very stressful. By the way Toonhead. I followed you on twitter.
I have tried downloading the new update and it will download, but when I need to install the update it won't let me. It says there was a problem installing the update and then tells me to either close or go to settings. When I go to settings, it doesn't give me any answers. And now my pandora app won't work unless I'm using wifi which is really irritating. Help me.
Hope, I would recommend clearing some of your storage, or charging your device.
Hi Heather. I heard that your iPhone 6 wasn't installing the updates but only downloading them. Your iPhone 6 needs to have 50% or more of battery life or it should be plugged in when it is below 50%. You may also need some storage space (at least 5 GB), for the update to work.
When I installed iOs 8.4 VO wouldn't go to the install button
All I had to do is move my finger around the screen until I found the install button.