iOS 6: to upgrade or not?
I haven't upgraded and I probably will not for a few weeks or months. Why? Because I am running a jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 iPhone. Many of the new things you get with iOS 6 I can already do with iOS 5.1.1. In fact, there are things that iOS 6 won't do still. Below are some of my favorite things I can already do with iOS 5.1.1.
- Total Google Voice integration in phone calls and sending/receiving text messages.
- Use Siri to open or launch apps.
- Use Siri to post to Twitter and Facebook.
- Use Siri to toggle things like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Air Plane mode, Location, and Data.
- Post to Facebook or Twitter from the Notification screen.
- Send a picture from the camera roll to Facebook or Twitter.
- Customize my status far.
- Customize my lock screen.
- Use 5 rows of icons on the home screen.
- Use 5 or more icons per row, in the dock, and in the task switcher.
- Add more than 12 apps per folder.
- Much much more.
I realize that by not upgrading I will not get the new Apple Maps feature and the Passbook feature, but eventually a jailbreak for iOS 6 will be available and I will consider it then. In the mean time, I already have many things which I can enjoy with iOS 5.1.1. The same was true when I reamined on iOS 4.3.3 for several months before jumping to iOS 5. Eventually when 5 came out I saw that it had many of the existing jailbreak features that I was already enjoying with 4.3.3. So, this is no different.
Jailbreak isn't for everyone, but just to be clear, the process is completely reversable, and legal.
Shane, to answer your question, if you want the new features, all jailbreak stuff aside, I would recommend you upgrade. It will be safe to do so from the pc or over Wi-Fi. Apple is good about fixing bugs and from what I've read so far, iOS6 is very good and very stable, so it will be fine. I just choose not to for the reasons outlined in my prior post.