with Voice Dream Reader for iOS having transitioned to the paid subscription model in April, 2023, many VoiceOver iOS users who haven't purchased Voice Dream Reader before the transition are looking for a free or significantly cheaper alternative audio book player supporting MP3 and other sound file formats. In this post, I would like to recommend such a free alternative called BookPlayer. Following are some features of BookPlayer I consider important:
- THe app is very accessible, simple and easy to use.
- It remembers the playback position for each audio track in the library.
- It is possible to import zipped archives of multiple sound files to the library in one step. After the import, the individual sound files can be either treated as separate independant tracks, or compiled into a single track. In case of such compilation, the files are presented as separate chapters which can be navigated.
- Supports adding bookmarks at the current playback position. In contrary to Voice Dream Reader, bookmarks can also be annotated.
- Enables rewinding or fast forwarding the playback by 30 seconds. Both the rewind and fast-forward intervals can be independatly modified in settings choosing from the values starting from 5 seconds up until 4 minutes.
- Enables both increasing and decreasing the playback speed.
- The app unfortunately supports only sound files, not textual ebooks. FOr a free text-to-speech based reader, see Speech Central AI Voice Reader, for instance.
- THe only missing features in the free version of BookPlayer are the cloud based synchronization of the audiobook library with other mobile devices using the same Apple ID., visual themes and extra app icons.
- THe paid version costs $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
What are your thoughts about BookPlayer? Have you found another cheap alternative to Voice Dream Reader on iOS?