ABC-Format On-Screen Keyboard for iOS Devices
I think that is someone learns the home row keys that such a key board is not necessary. it goes to show that this kind of key board can be learned an I have learned it successfully. with out any trouble or issues.
Besides, this layouts most common so why reinvent the wheel and fix something that is not broken?
I know someone who cannot afford a computer so they got an iPhone and do everything, and i mean everything from it. they did learn how to touch type though and they are doing very well at it.
On my computer now I can type about 68 wpm with a 95 percent accuracy. On the iOS typing keyboard I thick i can do about 7 or 8. I'm slowly speeding up because of practice and fleksy.
I came across your conversation about an ABC keyboard. I am a designer at AssistiveWare. The last few months we have been working hard on making an accessible iOS keyboard named Keeble.
Keeble is an iOS keyboard that allows users with fine motor-challenges, switch users and users with vision impairments to type in any app. The keyboard offers word prediction, timing options, Select on Release, Select on Dwell, auditory feedback and other accessibility features.
Keeble is currently localized in English, French, Spanish and Dutch, and offers optimized layouts for simplified, advanced and scanning keyboards.
Use alternative access
- Prevent accidental selections with timing options
- Compensate for motor challenges with Select on Release and Select on Dwell
- Adjust key repeat delay and rate
- Use scanning-optimized keyboards: ABC and frequency of use
Receive auditory feedback
- Turn on keyboard clicks
- Use spoken cues as you move your finger across the keyboard
- Hear each key, word or sentence you type with Speak as you Type
Speed up typing
- Benefit from automatic capitalization
- Reduce typing effort with self-learning word prediction
- Choose between word completion, next-word prediction or multi-word prediction
- Define the number of suggestions and suggestion order
- Adjust the size of the prediction bar to your needs
Optimize for different users
- Use with beginning readers and select lowercase letters, ABC layout and colored vowels
- Customize for adults by allowing access to all characters and selecting QWERTY layout
- Select your preferred theme: Colored, Gray or Customized
- Use Keeble in any app
- Benefit from 100% privacy with zero data collection
- Enjoy the large, school-friendly font
You can find more information about the keyboard on http://www.assistiveware.com/product/keeble.
I would love to hear what you think of this keyboard. The ABC layout won't work for everybody this is why we also included a QWERTY layout.
This looks great for people with low vision! I'll let you know if I have a chance to try it out. I'm going to let the AT specialist at our agency know about it. Best wishes, Leslie B.