Update: Applications are now closed.
Are you passionate about the use of Apple products by blind and low vision users? If so, AppleVis may have an exciting volunteer opportunity for you!
We are currently looking to recruit 1 or 2 people with great knowledge, experience and expertise to join our small Editorial Team—to help us take AppleVis to the next level.
This is a wonderful opportunity to inform and engage with thousands of people on the leading website for blind and low vision users of Apple products. AppleVis is a well-respected resource among end users, app developers, accessibility advocates, Assistive Technology experts, and people working for blind and low vision agencies across the world.
The ideal candidate for AppleVis Editorial Team membership is someone who enjoys helping and sharing their knowledge of Apple products with others; and someone who has the time, desire, and experience necessary to assist us with day-to-day site operations.
The time commitment required for being a member of the AppleVis Editorial Team will vary from day-to-day and depend upon how involved you want to be; however, realistically, you should be willing and able to routinely set aside 30 minutes daily to be able to make a meaningful contribution.
Listed below are some of the routine tasks and responsibilities of AppleVis Editorial Team members. It is not expected or anticipated that all Team members are involved with all tasks, but applicants must have the desire and capacity to be involved with a significant amount of them.
- Assisting with the day-to-day decision-making involved with maintaining and developing a popular community-based website.
- Assisting with preparing editorial content for the AppleVis website.
- Assisting with reviewing and managing podcasts submitted by the community for posting to AppleVis.
- General moderation and management of user-submitted content and comments.
- Reviewing of App Directory entries for accuracy and completeness, updating information where necessary.
- Managing user registrations and assisting people with any questions that they may have about their AppleVis user account.
- Responding to enquiries about the AppleVis website and its use in a courteous and professional manner.
- Undertaking advocacy for accessibility of Apple products and related applications.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants must have the time and capacity to routinely and reliably carry out the responsibilities of being a member of the AppleVis Editorial Team (the tasks listed under the "Responsibilities" heading above).
- Applicants must have at least 3 years experience with either iOS or macOS (and be proficient to a level where you would identify as an "advanced user").
- Applicants must have the ability to work as part of a small and distributed team.
- Applicants must have a broad and solid knowledge of the opportunities and potential issues of being a blind or low vision user of Apple products.
- Applicants must have experience with testing and providing meaningful feedback on pre-release software.
- Applicants must have experience with working meaningfully with developers to improve the accessibility of their apps/software.
- You are a long-term and active member of the AppleVis community.
- You have experience with or an interest in taking part in podcast interviews and roundtable discussions.
- You have experience with audio editing.
- You have strong writing skills
- You have experience with writing online content.
- You are interested in assisting with coverage of Apple special events (writing blog posts, participating in roundtable podcasts, etc.).
- You are a braille user.
- You are an experienced Mac user.
- You have an understanding of the opportunities and potential issues specific to low vision users of Apple products.
- You have access to secondary Apple devices which can be used for running pre-release software.
As AppleVis is a non-commercial website operated by volunteers, membership on the AppleVis Editorial Team is an unpaid position and you should expect to receive no financial recompense for your involvement.
We are aware that the requirements that we ask for are demanding and not unlike those required for some paid positions. However, AppleVis is a popular, valued and respected resource within the space that we occupy; we want to ensure, therefore, that we recruit people who are able to help us build upon this. Not only is this in the best interests of AppleVis and our community, but it means that those involved will personally draw genuine value from their participation.
How To Apply
If you are interested in joining the AppleVis Editorial Team, please email us at [CLOSED], making sure to include the following:
- Clearly set out what you believe you would add to our Team.
- Specifically state which of the Team responsibilities that you would be able to assist with.
- Provide details of your relevant knowledge, experience and expertise.
- Provide the username of your AppleVis account.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, June 25, 2017.