Apple Releases watchOS 7.1, tvOS 14.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update, and New 14.2 Software for HomePod
Alongside the release of iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2, Apple has today released watchOS 7.1, tvOS 14.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update, and new 14.2 software for HomePod to the public.
In watchOS 7.1, our testing indicates that Apple has resolved an issue which saw the 2-finger 'Magic Tap' gesture not work to answer a phone call. Now, to answer an incoming phone call, VoiceOver users can tap the screen and then perform the two-finger double-tap gesture to answer the call.
Aside from the aforementioned improvement, we are not aware of any other changes for blind and low vision users in these updates; however, as we always stress in these posts, we are a small team and it is impossible for us to test all configurations, apps, and use cases. Thus, if you find any accessibility-related regressions or improvements in your own use of these releases, please do let us know in the comments.
The release notes for watchOS 7.1 are as follows:
watchOS 7.1 contains new features, improvements, and bug fixes.
- Adds the ability to be notified when your headphone audio level could impact your hearing
- Adds support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in the Republic of Korea and Russia
- Adds support for irregular heart rhythm notifications in the Republic of Korea and Russia
- Resolves an issue that prevented some users from unlocking Mac with Apple Watch
- Fixes an issue where the screen may be dark on wrist raise for some Apple Watch Series 6 users
14.2 Software for HomePod
The release notes for Software Version 14.2 for HomePod, shared by Mac Rumors are as follows:
Software version 14.2 includes support for new Siri, Intercom, and Home Theater features. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
- Ask Siri "What's my update?" to hear a personal snapshot of your day that includes the news, weather, traffic, reminders, and calendar appointments.
- Intercom using iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay.
- Connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K and enjoy stereo, surround sound, and Dolby Atmos audio. Add a second HomePod for a more immersive soundstage.
Apple does not routinely make available release notes for tvOS releases.
macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update
According to Apple's release notes, via Mac Rumors the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update improves the security of macOS and is recommended for all users.
How to Update
watchOS 7.1 is available via Over-the-Air Update (Settings > General > Software Update) or by going to the Watch app on your iPhone and navigating to General> Software Update. To install the update, your Watch must be connected to its charger and have at least 50% battery power.
More information on how to update the software on your Apple Watch is available on this Apple Support page.
To install tvOS 14.2 on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to the Settings channel, then look for the System section near the bottom. From here, look for Software Updates under Maintenance, then select Update Software and Download and Install.
More information on how to update the software on your Apple TV is available on this Apple Support page.
macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental update can be downloaded by going to System Preferences > Software Update.
I tried to install the update on my series 3, and again, despite having only Pedometer and Weather Gods on the watch, it says there isn't enough room for the update. The only way I could get 7 on it was to restore it as new, and go through all that set up stuff.
So, I fired up the Apple Store app, and a shiny new series 6 is due here Monday. I was planning on upgrading next year, but I don't want to hassle with the memory issues anymore. And I am assuming I will enjoy the speed, memory, sensor, and capabilities updates.
I won't bother resetting the series 3 just to get rid of it next week.
There you go. Apple created a big bug so people can get the series 6. Money for apple.
1. Unpair your Apple Watch.
This procedure includes a backup of your watch, but the backup will not contain your temporary data that is stored on your watch.
2. Pair your watch with your iPhone again, but be careful to restore it from your recently created backup.
If it doesn't work:
1. Delete your iMessages from your watch, at least that you don't need anymore.
2. Delete your e-mails, especially big e-mails. I don't know how your e-mails are stored on your watch, but they are can be big files.
3. If you have downloaded music on your watch, delete them, to do this, use the Watch app on your iPhone.
HTH, and good luck!
When I get a phone call, the watch rings if Voiceover is enabled, despite silent mode being turned on. This has been present since at least WatchOS 7.0.0 and is really distracting. I'm currently using a Watch SE running WatchOS 7.1.