Apple has today released software version 15 for both HomePod and HomePod mini.
In addition to some unspecified bug fixes and stability improvements, according to the release notes via 9to5Mac, this update brings some notable new features and enhancements:
- Select a single or pair of HomePod mini as the default speakers for your Apple TV 4k for rich room-filling sound and clear dialogue
- Media playback controls automatically appear on your iPhone’s Lock Screen when a HomePod mini playing music is nearby
- Set a lower bass level to enjoy music without disturbing the neighbors
- Ask Siri to turn on your Apple TV, start playing a favorite movie, and control playback while you watch
- Siri automatically adjusts its speaking level based on the room environment and volume of the user
- Ask Siri to control smart home devices at a specific time like turning off the lights in 10 minutes
- Extend access to HomePod throughout your home by enabling Siri voice control on compatible HomeKit accessories
- Support for package detection with HomeKit Secure Video
Notably missing is the expected lossless and Dolby Atmos with Spatial Audio support, with Apple promising in the release notes that this will come later this year
By default, HomePod and HomePod mini automatically install new software updates, but you can manually check for updates in the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. See this Apple support article for full instructions.
What are your thoughts about this update? Let us know in the comment section below.