Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.2, tvOS 12.1.1, HomePod 12.1.1 and an Update to the Shortcuts App
Today has seen another round of software updates from Apple. In addition to iOS 12.1.1, Apple has released macOS Mojave 10.14.2, tvOS 12.1.1, HomePod 12.1.1 and an update to the Shortcuts app.
According to MacRumors, no new features were found in the beta cycle of macOS 10.14.2, suggesting that this release is likely to focus on bug fixes and under-the-hood improvements.
The complete release notes for macOS 10.14.2 via MacRumors are as follows:
- Adds RTT (real-time text) support for Wi-Fi calling.
- Adds a menu item to News for opening a story in Safari.
- Resolves an issue that may prevent iTunes from playing media to third-party AirPlay speakers.
- Allows administrators to enable FileVault via MDM for mobile accounts and users created by MDM.
- Allows users to reset their login password at the login window when that password has expired via a password policy.
- Resolves an issue that prevents displays from working when connected to MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018, if certain third-party USB graphics devices are also connected.
Apple does not traditionally provide release notes for tvOS, so it's still unknown what improvements of fixes are included with tvOS 12.1.1. However, it's likely to focus on under-the-hood performance improvements and bugs that have been discovered since the release of tvOS 12.
Apple has also today released HomePod 12.1.1 and Shortcuts 2.1.2. According to MacRumors, the HomePod update is a relatively minor one, whilst the Shortcuts update “features a new "Post to Tumblr" action, iCloud sync improvements, localization improvements, and a long list of bug fixes”:
- Fixed an issue where the screen describing which apps and services are used by a shortcut may not appear when downloading a shortcut
- Fixed an issue that caused shortcuts with the Open App or Play Sound actions to fail when Siri is used to run the shortcuts
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts with Repeat with Each actions may freeze when they're run from the widget or Library tab
- Fixed an issue where the Phone Number action may not understand phone numbers that contain commas (pauses) or have long extension codes
- Fixed an issue where the Show Directions action may not work when it's run from the Shortcuts Today View widget on the Lock screen
- Fixed an issue where the Add New Reminder action doesn't work when a time or location isn't entered
- Fixed an issue where the Send Payment action may not appear to finish when making Apple Pay Cash payments
- Fixed an issue where the Ask for Input action's default answer field for dates wouldn’t support 24-hour time
- Fixed an issue where the Get Name of Emoji action showed the emoji name in English when the device is set to another language
- Fixed an issue where some shortcuts may show an error message when they're run from Search
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts may fail to download web pages with long Unicode titles
- Fixed an issue where the Run Editorial Workflow action doesn't pass a result
At the time of writing, the only change for blind and low-vision users we are aware of is a fix for the, "Time of day," script in keyboard commander. If you do spot any additional fixes, regressions or enhancements, please do let us know by posting a comment below.
How to Update
macOS Mojave introduced a new method of installing software updates - you now open System Preferences and select the "Software Update" option.
To install tvOS 12.1.1, go to the Settings channel then look for the System section near the bottom. From here, look for Software Updates under Maintenance, then select Update Software and Download and Install.
The new HomePod software will be installed automatically on the HomePod upon updating to iOS 12.1.1 on a paired iPhone.
As always, we look forward to hearing your thoughts on these updates.