Apple has today released macOS Big Sur 11.1, watchOS 7.2, and tvOS 14.3; bringing support for Apple Fitness+ and AirPods Max, new features, security enhancements, and bug fixes.
macOS Big Sur 11.1
Our testing suggests that the following issue has been addressed in macOS Big Sur 11.1:
- VoiceOver now correctly speaks the contents of folders when navigating in column view using the arrow keys.
We have also identified the following new bugs:
- When selecting a conversation in Messages with VO-Space, VoiceOver focus no-longer jumps to the message textfield as expected. However, keyboard focus still appears to jump to the field, meaning you should be able to select a conversation and start typing. In order to edit or interact with the text, however, you must route the VoiceOver cursor to the keyboard focus by pressing VO-Shift-F4, or VO-Function-4 if you're using a Mac with a Touch Bar.
- Context menus on Dock items can typically not be activated with the VO+Shift+m keyboard shortcut. For now, you may need to route the mouse pointer to the desired Dock item and then click the mouse button whilst holding down the Control key.
- In watchOS 7.2, Apple has added the previously-announced braille display support; users can access braille by opening the Watch app on iPhone and going to Accessibility> VoiceOver> Braille.
- Our testing suggests that the Siri voice should now work correctly when used with VoiceOver on the Apple Watch Series 6.
Unfortunately, there also appear to be some new bugs in this release:
- After installing the update you may find it difficult to dismiss the release notes that are displayed on the Apple Watch's screen. A possible workaround is to perform a two finger swipe up on the screen one or more times until an “OK” button is available to locate by touch. Double tapping with one finger on this button should dismiss the release notes.
- You may find that on occasions when using Siri on Apple Watch that both Siri and VoiceOver either speak at the same time when the results are being spoken, or that Siri will speak the response and then VoiceOver will repeat some or all of the same.
At the time of posting, we are unaware of any changes, fixes or regressions for blind and low vision users in tvOS 14.3. We will update this post if this changes.
macOS Big Sur 11.1
macOS Big Sur 11.1 introduces support for AirPods Max, TV app enhancements, Apple News widgets, and privacy information on the App Store. This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac.
- Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
- High fidelity audio for rich sound
- Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
- Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
- Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
- Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
- An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
- Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
- Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
- Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center
- New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
- In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
- New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
- Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
- Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
This release also addresses the following issues:
- QuickTime Player might quit when opening a movie with a timecode track after upgrading from macOS Catalina
- Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center
- Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch
- Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models
- LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1
watchOS 7.2 includes new features and improvements, including Apple Fitness+, a personalized fitness experience powered by Apple Watch. Additional features include low cardio fitness notifications and support for braille displays. This update also contains performance improvements.
- A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
- Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
This update also includes the following features and improvements:
- Option to be notified when your cardio fitness is at a low level
- Ability to review your cardio fitness level based on your age and sex in the Health app on iPhone
- Atrial fibrillation classification at heart rates above 100 BPM now offered in the ECG app in most regions where the app is available
- Support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Taiwan
- Support for braille displays with VoiceOver
- Support for Family Setup in Bahrain, Canada, Norway, and Spain (Cellular models of Apple Watch Series 4 or later and Apple Watch SE)
How to Update
To install macOS Big Sur 11.1, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, click the Software Update preference pane, and click the Update Now button to begin the update process. If other updates are available, you can click "More info" to see details about them and select specific updates to install.
More information on how to update the software on your Mac is available on this Apple Support page.
watchOS 7.2 is available via Over-the-Air Update (Settings > General > Software Update) or by going to the Watch app on your iPhone and navigating to General> Software Update. To install the update, your Watch must be connected to its charger and have at least 50% battery power.
More information on how to update the software on your Apple Watch is available on this Apple Support page.
To install tvOS 14.3 on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, go to the Settings channel, then look for the System section near the bottom. From here, look for Software Updates under Maintenance, then select Update Software and Download and Install.
More information on how to update the software on your Apple TV is available on this Apple Support page.
If you discover any additional fixes, regressions or changes of note during your own use of these releases, please let us know by posting a comment below.