Apple Releases macOS 10.15.2, watchOS 6.1.1, and tvOS 13.3
Apple has today released macOS 10.15.2, watchOS 6.1.1, and tvOS 13.3.
MacRumors has previously reported that it didn't find any major changes to macOS 10.15.2 during the beta cycle, suggesting that Apple's focus with this release is on performance improvements, security updates, and bug fixes.
Our own testing of macOS 10.15.2 suggests that Apple has resolved the problem which was causing some AppleScripts to not work correctly when triggered by Keyboard Commander - most notably those which have your Mac speak the time/date or the current battery level.
Apple's release notes for macOS 10.15.2, via MacRumors are as follows:
The macOS Catalina 10.15.2 update improves the stability, reliability and performance of your Mac and is recommended for all users. This update adds the following features:
- New layout for Apple News+ stories from The Wall Street Journal and other leading newspapers
- Get links to related stories or more stories from the same publication at the end of an article
- “Breaking” and “Developing” labels for Top Stories
- Stories from Apple News are now available in Canada in English and French
This update also includes the following bug fixes and improvements:
- Restores the column browser view for managing the music library
- Resolves an issue that may prevent album artwork from appearing
- Fixes an issue that may reset music equalizer settings during playback
- Adds support for using an iPhone or iPad to remotely control the Music and TV apps on a Mac
- Resolves an issue that may cause some .AVI and .MP4 files to appear as unsupported
- Fixes an issue that prevents newly created folders from appearing in Albums view
- Addresses an issue where manually sorted images in an album may be printed or exported out of order
- Fixes an issue that prevents the zoom-to-crop tool from working in a print preview
- Addresses an issue that may cause Mail Preferences to open with a blank window
- Resolves an issue that may prevent using undo from retrieving deleted mail
- Improves the reliability of syncing books and audiobooks to your iPad or iPhone through Finder
- Fixes an issue where reminders may be out of order in the Today smart list in the Reminders app
- Resolves an issue that may cause slow typing performance in the Notes app
watchOS 6.1.1 also appears to be a minor update focusing on performance and under-the-hood improvements, with MacRumors again reporting that it found no new features during the beta cycle. Indeed, the release notes for watchOS 6.1.1, via MacRumors simply state that the update, "Provides important security updates and is recommended for all users."
tvOS 13.3, however, does include at least one change - you can now change the main banner interface in the TV+ app from What to Watch to Up Next. The banner will then show content from shows that you're already watching instead of show suggestions.
According to MacRumors, This option can be accessed by “going to the Settings app, choosing Apps, and selecting the TV app. From there, select Home Screen and choose "Up Next" in the "Top Shelf" section.”
If you notice any fixes, enhancements or regressions during your own use of these updates, please let us know by posting a comment below.
How to update
macOS 10.15.2 can be downloaded by going to System Preferences > Software Update.
watchOS 6.1.1 is available via Over-the-Air Update (Settings > General > Software Update) or by going to the Watch app on your iPhone and navigating to General> Software Update. To install the update, your Watch must be connected to its charger and have at least 50% battery power.
To install tvOS 13.3 on Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > System > Software Updates and Select Update Software. If there's an update, select Download and Install. Wait for your Apple TV to download the update. Don't disconnect or unplug your Apple TV until the update completes.
As always, we look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences of these updates. Let us know by adding a comment below.
No problems so far with TV. Up Next is a nice update. It’s easier to keep up with favorite shows and episodes.
I did run into an issue after updating Series 5 to 6.1.1. Seems to be fixed now. Earbuds kept cutting out. Forgetting device and pairing again seems to have corrected it.
Disappointed that Apple has not at the very least added an iTunes Store app. The Music app has a wish list menu item, the TV app does not. I find I need to add movies to the wish list using iOS. And in order to purchase movies from the wish list I open the Music app but after purchase, to download it, I must open the TV app.
in the music app in Catalina, enable the iTunes Store from the music preference in the genneral section . it is a checkbox
after the iTunes Store app is enabled, access it by going to the music sidebar.
Already did all that. Still believe it's a very clunky inefficient setup. A standalone iTunes Store app would resolve many issues.
I am considering upgrading my mac to Catalina. However, I've heard that invoking the menus extra with VO M twice doesn't work.
As this is a fairly large deal breaker for me, I would need to know whether this particular voiceover bug has been rectified. Can anyone confirm whether the bug's been fixed?
I do not know if this has been rectified because I have not had any issues with it.
Hi. I hate to be the "Not me" person, but since upgrading nothing's been acting up when I use Voice Over Shift M twice. I never knew that bug existed to be honest.
splendid, I will certainly give it a go. Thanks for the input.