Apple Releases iOS 12.4 With Apple News Enhancements and New Data Migration Option
Apple has today released iOS 12.4.
According to Apple's release notes via MacRumors, iOS 12.4 includes enhancements to Apple News and a new iPhone migration option to directly transfer data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone:
- Introduces the ability to wirelessly transfer data and migrate directly from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup
- Makes downloaded issues accessible in the My Magazines section, both offline and online
- Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
- Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues by selecting History > Clear > Clear All
Other improvements and fixes
- Includes a security fix for the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch and re-enables Walkie-Talkie functionality
This release also includes support for HomePod in Japan and Taiwan.
Although not mentioned in the release notes, it is likely that iOS 12.4 puts in place the framework for Apple Card. Announced during Apple's “Show Time” event in March, Apple Card is a credit card which is optimized to work with Apple Pay and the Wallet app on your iPhone, but which will still work like a traditional credit card for all of your transactions. Highlights of Apple Card include:
- You can buy things effortlessly, with just your iPhone. Or use the Apple‑designed titanium card anywhere in the world.
- You can sign up in no time and start using it right away with Apple Pay.
- For every purchase you make, you get Daily Cash. And it really is cash. So you can spend it however you want, right from your iPhone. Have a question? Just text. It’s that simple.
- No annual, cash‑advance, over-the-limit, or late fees.
- Apple Card is designed to make sure you’re the only one who can use it. All the advanced security technologies of Apple Pay — Face ID, Touch ID, unique transaction codes — are built right in. And the physical card has no numbers. Not on the front. Not on the back. Which gives you a whole new level of security.
- A titanium, laser-etched, Apple-designed credit card. And Mastercard is our global payment network, so you can use it all over the world. For apps and websites, there’s a virtual card number in the Wallet app. It autofills for you when you’re using Safari.
At launch, Apple Card will only be available in the United States. An international roll-out is anticipated, but no details have been confirmed yet.
For VoiceOver users, we are currently aware of one fix in this release - VoiceOver now speaks the selection status of items listed under Mail > Include Mail in the Watch app.
At this stage of the iOS 12.x development cycle it is possible that there are no additional changes for blind and low vision users. However, if you do encounter any enhancements, fixes, or regressions during your own use of iOS 12.4, please let us know by posting a comment below.
iOS 12.4 is available via Over-the-Air Update (Settings > General > Software Update) or via iTunes on a Mac or PC.
Before updating, we strongly recommend making a full and complete backup of your device (either in iTunes or iCloud, depending on personal preference). This will ensure that, in the unlikely event that something goes wrong during the update process, you will have a current backup on hand in case a device restore becomes necessary. Also, if using OTA update, we recommend plugging your device into a power source for the duration of the download/installation process, so as to prevent the unlikely event of your battery going dead during the update.
More information on how to update the software on your iOS device is available on this Apple Support page.