Description of App
Control your home's temperature from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Nest Mobile app. Left on a last-minute trip? Change the temperature from the beach. Coming home early to a cold house? Turn up the heat on your way. The Nest Mobile app allows you to adjust your Nest Learning Thermostat from anywhere.
Don't forget: the Nest Mobile app can only be used with a Nest Learning Thermostat. To buy a Nest thermostat, go to nest.com. (USA and Canada only).
- Check and change your Nest's temperature remotely.
- View and edit your Nest's schedule remotely.
- View when and for how long your heating and cooling system was on for the last 10 days.
- Access the settings of your home's Nest Learning Thermostat.
Find out if you're saving energy with the Nest Leaf.
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
You can access some basic functions, but others remain inaccessible. You still cannot switch between heating and cooling, or turn on your fan.
I wanted a thermostat I could control with my iPhone. Cool concept! The Nest works well. You need sighted help to set it up, but you can read and change your temperature right from your iPhone. Sometimes you have to double-tap the "Account" or the name of your thermostat like "Home" for more. Don't expect to access to much, but you can access enough.
Developer's Twitter Username
1 people have recommended this app
The new version of the Nest Mobile app, v4.1.0, has just come out and sports accessibility for screen reader users. So far as I can see, all the important functionality can now be used with VoiceOver.
Can someone tell me how to switch from cool to heat on the Nest app? I can't figure it out. Thanks.
Sorry but with voice over on you can not currently switch from heat to cool or control the house fan on/off or even turn the system off. Thankfully I only have to do that once or twice a year and I get my wife to do it. However, a trick to at least turn the system basically off is to switch to away mode. The app has come a long way since I first installed my Nest and all in all it is great, but they need to fix this. Perhaps comments to the builder on this from multiple people will help?
I think I will call their customer service hotline and ask to speak to the app developer. I wonder if that might work. I may even try and get him to do it with Voiceover on if I can even get through.
FYI, I just spent about an hour on the phone trying to get this issue identified to be fixed. Of course it started with the first level support who was very nice and willing to listen, but did not have a clue about using Voice Over . After a long time on hold he got me someone who at least knew what Voice Over was and who could understand the issue. He assured me he would get it looked at. I will post when I hear back from him.
I just did the same thing. The first guy who answered was attempting to be helpful but had no idea about Voiceover. He said he would escalate the problem. We'll see if anything happens.
Changing from heat to cool and turning off the thermostat is now possible without turning off Voiceover. The buttons aren't labeled great, but they work better.
What's New in Version 5.0.3
Bug fixes and enhancements
- We completely redesigned the Nest app, made things easier to find, and added some new features.
- Introduced Nest Cam and Dropcam to the Nest app.
- Security updates.
New for Nest Thermostat
- Tap the house icon to tell the Nest Thermostat when you’re Home or Away.
- See indoor humidity and outside temperature.
- We reorganized Settings under the gear icon so they’re easier to find.
- Tap the thermostat to easily access the most popular features at the bottom of the screen.
- Increased support from 10 thermostats up to 40 thermostats (max 20 per home).
New for Nest Protect
- Hush an alarm from your phone with App Silence. (Nest Protect 2nd gen)
- Run a Safety Checkup from your phone. (Nest Protect 2nd gen)
New for Nest Cam & Dropcam
- See all your Nest Cams and Dropcams in one app – along with all your other Nest products.
- Talk and Listen is now easier to use. Just hold down the icon and start talking.
- It’s easier to zoom in and enhance to get an up-close view.
- Cloud Recording is now called Nest Aware.
- If you have a Dropcam with seven-day Cloud Recording, you now get ten days of Video History.
- Rewind your Video History and filter events by motion, sound or Activity Zone. (With Nest Aware subscription.)
I have the nest cam and it allows you to send alerts whenever it detects motion or sound. This is very helpful for those with hearing disabilities. You can have the cam send an alert when it detects a sound (doorbell) and the alert can be felt on your Apple Watch.
The motion detection is nice, but can get annoying when people are constantly moving in the room. I usually keep that disabled unless I'm out of town.
I now have the Nest Thermostat installed. I was curious if anyone has found a way to do the manually scheduling of the thermostat with the app or website. Between my phone and Amazon Echos, changing/monitoring the temperature is very nice, but manually scheduling seems to be impossible sadly.