Just Press Record
Description of App
Just Press Record is the ultimate mobile audio recorder bringing one tap recording, transcription and iCloud syncing to all your devices.
Life is full of moments we would rather not forget - like your child’s first words, an important meeting or spontaneous idea. Capture these moments effortlessly on iPhone, iPad or for ultimate convenience, Apple Watch.
• One tap to start, stop, pause and resume recording.
• Unlimited recording time.
• Record discretely in the background.
• Choose to record from the built-in mic, AirPods or external microphones.
• Start and stop recording from the Lock screen widget, with a 3D Touch Quick Action or via the URL scheme.
• Record independently on Apple Watch and sync later.
• Seek backwards and forwards during playback.
• Adjustable playback speed.
• Turn speech into searchable text.
• Support for over 30 languages, independent of your device's language setting.
• Format as you record with punctuation command recognition.
• Share audio and text to other apps on your iOS device.
• Share to iTunes on Mac or PC via the Lightning Port.
• View recent recordings or browse your library by date and time.
• Search by filename or transcription content.
• Dedicated tab for quick access to recordings made on Apple Watch.
• Peek and Pop the contents of folders in the Browse tab.
• Rename recordings.
• Slide Over and Split View support on iPad.
• Choose to store recordings either in iCloud Drive or locally on-device.
• Recordings stored in iCloud Drive automatically sync across all your devices.
• Transcriptions are stored within the audio file.
• Support for high quality external microphones connected via the Lightning Port.
• Customizable Audio Settings to enhance your recording experience.
• File types include WAV, AIF or standard iTunes M4A (ACC).
• High quality audio up to 96kHz / 24-bit.
• VoiceOver support throughout the app.
• Magic Tap gesture to start / stop a recording.
Just Press Record includes an Apple Watch app that gives you the freedom to record anywhere, even when your iPhone is not around.
• Start recording with a single tap on the Complication.
• Record discretely in the background.
• Unlimited recording time.
• Recordings automatically transfer to iPhone for transcription and iCloud syncing.
• Listen to recent recordings through the built-in speaker or AirPods.
• Adjust volume with the Digital Crown.
• Pause recording with a downward swipe.
• Accessibility support with VoiceOver, reduced motion and support for the extra large Complication template.
• Transcription requires a good, clean audio signal. Avoid recording in noisy environments and ensure the microphone is positioned close to the source.
• Recording from AirPods is not available on Apple Watch.
• Just Press Record for Mac is available as a separate purchase on the Mac App Store.
• URL scheme implemented by Just Press Record can be found on our FAQ page.
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
Very accessible and easy to use. As mentioned in the description that the developers have made this accessible for us to use. Always nice to see that mentioned in the description of an app.
Ideal for students and professionals that re seeking a way not only to record a session or a class but also transcribe the audio. So, you will get an audio along with the transcription. Best part of this deal is that it is a onetime purchase. Unlike others that offer similar features for a monthly subscription. No time limits and one can share the transcription to many ways so that you can use to read and store for future references. I originally was seeking amp for several of my clients that needed an app for these very reasons. Paralegals, Therapist, counselors, and other can really take advantage of this app instead of fumbling around with those digital recorders that are not so friendly for people that are blind. Also, having the time to transfer the audio off the recorders or SD cards when everything from this app can be stored in the cloud easily.
A note to make is that this is not ideal for podcasting. Great for interviews and such but if you are looking for something to record a podcast with your device and want to review an app for example will not work in this sceanrio. Once you press record the VoiceOver will become silence and will return after you imiplement the two fingers double tap to stop the recording. So converstations, ideas, or a lecture is what this was meant for. You can also take an audio that you made in the native Voice Memo and transfer it to this app to transcribe.
Developer's Twitter Username
4 people have recommended this app
Now I know what I will be getting when I get my next gift card. This app seems awesome! Right now I am using Aurora Recorder, and it’s awesome, but Just Press Record seems to be much better. I have both an iPhone and an apple watch though I am not sure it would cover the iPad but that doesn’t matter. All that matters for me is to have a reliable recording app that can record in m41 and I really like the thought of the transcription feature. I checked the app up and discovered that it supports swedish! That was completely unexpected. If I open the app store link everything shows up for me in clear, perfect swedish. That is a bonus I had not expected. I listened to the podcast of this app and I cannot wait until next monday so I can try it for myself. And I have heard this is a great apple watch app. I like the idea of having an easy o use complication. That way, you car record on the go, wich is really good for me. I actually wish it was monday today so I could get the app but I guess I will have to wait. :-) patience is the key. I think the price is really reasonable for such a great app., thanks for showing me this app.
Would this record Skype calls for podcasts?
If you have another device like an iPad and am recording from your apple watch or phone, just turn up the volume on the ipad or iPhone and then record. Hope this helps.
This app is certianly very useful. I've used it a couple of times now and the transcription is pretty good. just a couple of questions:
1. The description tlaks of recognising punctuation. There's no way I've found to do this automatically. The only way I've found to do this is by my actually saying 'quesiton mark', 'new paragraph', 'comma' and so on. Am I missing something here or is this in fact the only way? I did wonder whether there was a way in which it could perhaps guess what punctuation to insert depending on the speaker's tone of voice but that might be a little too far-fetched at this stage.
2. I can't get voice memos to share rom the native voice memos app. Has anyone else had any success with this and is there anything I can do? Basically, Just Press Record doesn't appear under 'copy to' or 'open in' when I click the share button.
I believe that the app will not guess at punctuation. Since the speech recognition is based on the Apple speech recognition system I presume that this works as dictation does on iOS devices and obeys the same rules.
Having just downloaded and installed Just Record I am experiencing a problem with transcribing recordings. I have set the app to transcribe all recordings. However it only transcribes around 12 Seconds of a recording. I have plenty of space on my Iphone, in the cloud and on my Apple Watch. I am on a 80Mbps internet. Other apps that accept dictation such as Drafts transcribe the entire spoken input but Just Record will not. Recordings play fine. Transcription does not work on my IPhone or Apple Watch.
Any suggestions welcome.
This is wierd. It works fine for me. Have you enabled the speech recognition on your iPhone. But I think you have because otherwise it would not transcribe the first twelve seconds. I am sorry, but I cannot help.
What's the quickest way to transfer recordings captured with JPR over to Windows? So far I've tried uploading recordings to Dropbox and iCloud, but I'm working on a project now that involves recordings spanning several hours which need to be captured as wave, and after each recording session they're taking a fair old while to upload. Is there a way of transferring via the lightening port instead? I see iTunes file sharing as an option, but would ideally like to avoid installing iTunes on Windows if possible.
hi all, why is it please, that recordings i make on the watch are not going in to the cloud and showing up on my phone, even though the option is enabled? last week i made a recording, and yes, it is on the watch but not showing up. very odd, as i thought it was all meant be seamless?
To fix this, open the recording on your watch, deep press the screen and then choose send to iPhone. This will resend the recording. Keep in mind that long recordings take very long to syncronize.
I have forgotten If you are able to rename recordings with VoiceOver. The FAQ Help file does not seem to work with VO. Anyone help please. I hope I can rename from within the app and don’t have to do this through Files or on my computer?
Hello! I had read that you can start and stop recording even if you do not want to open the app but I can not find how to do it! Maybe I misunderstood? If you can do it, could someone please explain how to do it? I can not find anything on this in the settings. Thank you!
Unless I am missing something, I think you may be confused. JustPressRecord has to be active, i.e. in your task bar (Switch To, double tap Home to get there) to do anything with the app.
Once you are in the app, instead of finding the Start Recording button at the bottom of the screen, you can do a two-finger double tap anywhere on the screen to start, and then to stop, recording.
You can actually use a Siri Shortcut to open JustPressRecord and start recording without it being active, so perhaps that is what you meant.
If so, this is fairly complicated if you’ve never done it before, so read the articles below to get started.
Ok thankyou very much!
On the watch side of things, is there a way to transfer all recordings to iPhon with out going thorugh and doing it one by one? Similary is ther a way to select all and share recordings to dropbox or gDrive with out doing it one by one. Love the app.
I haven't found a way to do this. Perhaps writing the dev and suggesting this would be a good idea.
Thanks. I could have sworn there were a way to do this 3 years ago when I got the watch. Hmm. I'm confused now.
Has anyone tried to use the audio editor built into just press record, and if so, was it accessible? Unfortunately, I have not found it to be so, but it may well be that I’m doing it wrong. In particular, there are a number of different controls and sliders, and it's not immediately clear to me how to move the play head, select a particular section of audio, and delete it.