Description of App
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
Developer's Twitter Username
0 people have recommended this app
It now offers PassBook!
What's New in Version 1.3
From the integrated eTicket screen you select the action button to add it to Passbook. Passbook eTickets can be shown and scanned by conductors onboard Amtrak trains nationwide.
Has anyone had any issues booking tickets with the latest update? Have we been in contact with @Amtrak to fix issues? Just wondering because I haven't seen anything on here lately.
It's been a few years since I've felt the need to contact Amtrak about their App, as I had some success using the App after they finally made the date picker accessible a couple of years back; however, this evening I spent a few hours attempting to book some round-trip tickets for an upcoming trip and eventually gave up because of accessibility issues. I'll be contacting Amtrak again to let them know what I've found, some of which is listed below.
1. Labeling of buttons and other elements is messy, inconsistent and confusing throughout the App. Every page of the process includes at least one unlabeled button, but most pages include multiple unlabeled and porrly labeled buttons and other elements.
2. On the payment page, it was not possible to determine if I was about to pay for the complete round trip or for a single leg. Only one leg appeared to be listed on this page, but the price was higher than the originally quoted price for that one leg, and there was no obvious way to verify any of this before entering credit card information. This is where I called it a night and quit the App without completing my purchase.
1. While the date and time pickers in version 2.0.3 are still accessible, the calendar used for date selection is less than ideal as it is not smooth to navigate and does not announce the day of the week in conjunction with the date.
2. The process of browsing and searching for stations seems fully VO-accessible in this version.
3. After entering desired locations and times, the resulting list of trains seems fully VO-accessible in this version. The list included the train name, departure and arrival times, and ticket price. Double-tapping a selected train to move to the next step in the process seems to be working again.
4. I cannot overstate just how messy the labeling is in this version of the App. While some VoiceOver Users are able to decipher poorly-labeled buttons and other elements, I think it is a stretch to assume that the average VoiceOver User will have the time, inclination or skill to figure out the difference between buttons labeled "InfoBlue" and "InfoWhite," or the meaning of items labeled, "CheckboxIcoActive, Button, On," "CheckboxIcoActive, Button, Off," "PlusButtonActive, Button" and "MinusButtonActive, Button." Or how 'bout the following list found in the details page for many stations: "WheelchairDimmed, Button, WheelchairDimmed, Button, WheelchairDimmed, Button, WheelchairDimmed, Button, WheelchairDimmed, Button, WheelchairDimmed, Button."
Tested on iPhone 5S, IOS 7.1.1, Amtrak App version 2.0.3
For those that don't know, Amtrack does provide a 15% discount for disabled amtrack customers. This includes people with visual impairments. I usually call and request the discount and have gotten it for the past 3 years.
I contacted them via twitter and they said they are goign to fi some of the issues in a future update. No time line as to when yet though.
I can't find the actions button to add my ticket to apple wallet. Can someone help? It's the latest version of amtrak, not sure what that is now. Thanks. Never taken them, first time.