Description of App:
Terminology is a browser for the English language – part dictionary/thesaurus and part research tool. Terminology is designed to make it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms - accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
### "9/10...a Must-have Dictionary and Thesaurus App" - AppStorm
### "Terminology 3 is my go-to dictionary app" - Macstories
### "If you’re looking for the best dictionary app...then look no further" - App Advice
More than a dictionary, Terminology can be extended with custom actions to search the Internet as well as other reference apps which support integration – making it a great place to start all your searches.
One of the most popular reference apps on the App Store, Terminology is a Universal (iPad/iPhone) app, ready for iOS 9, with iCloud sync of favorites terms, lookup history and custom actions.
- Full offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Star favorite words for quick access.
- Word browsing history.
- iCloud sync.
- Custom "Actions" to browse your current term on websites and/or lookup terms in other apps which support integration via URL schemes. Create your own or visit our Action Directory for single tap installable actions for many sites (http://actions.agiletortoise.com).
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Export/Share definitions, favorites and history lists.
- Dropbox integration to keep favorites and word histories backed up.
- Lookup and select replacement words from Drafts, Phraseology, Instapaper, Mr. Reader, Writeup, Writing Kit and a growing list of other apps.
- Customizable fonts and font size.
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
- Terminology's offline dictionary is based on the latest 3.1 version of the Princeton University WordNet project and contains U.S. English words.
We love to hear your feedback, please contact us.
Apple Watch Support:
Free or Paid:
Device(s) App Was Tested On:
The app is very accessible. You access most parts of the apps using the buttons on the bottom. When you first open the app, the search text field comes up by default, but the search button is on the bottom of the screen, along with your settings and favorites. You can even share a definition as well, but I wouldn't share it on twitter, as it shares the dictionary entry, and can go well over the 140 character limit. Most of the buttons are labeled correctly, and, guess what? The app does not have the common frustration of most dictionary apps, the every word link disease. The dictionary entries are laid out with headings and organized very nicely on the screen. Since I'm currently going to college for my English major, I have needed an app like this for a long time, and since I had an opportunity to try it for free thanks to Starbucks, I gave it a go and don't regret it. The app not only works as a dictionary and thesaurus, but you can look things up on google and wikipedia as well! This is your one stop shop for looking things up on the go, and it's accessible! I've already contacted the developer and gave them my feedback. I've also pointed them to applevis, so hopefully we can look forward to having them on the site so that we can all express our appreciation for their hard work on an impressive app.
I have not played with every feature in this app, as I've just downloaded it this evening, but the useability of the dictionary was done so well, that I just had to share this with other blind users. P.S> If you are currently enrolled in the Starbucks rewards program, and have their app, this app is featured as the free app of the week at the time of this submission. This is an amazing opportunity if you can get your hands on it, whether you download it freely through Starbucks, or pay for it. Let's also continue to encourage this developer to continue with updates that include accessibility as a top priority of this app.