Description of App:
- Featured by Apple in the “Staff Favorites” and “What's Hot” sections!
- Advanced English Dictionary is now the #1 Paid Reference App in 12 countries!
OVERVIEWAdvanced English Dictionary is distinguished from the other (paper, electronic) dictionaries in many ways. Not because it contains far more words than a conventional paper dictionary, but because it uses a radically new approach and technology. Instead of just listing the words and their definitions, Advanced English Dictionary shows how every word is linked to another. Type in the word "tree" and you will get not only the definition, synonyms and opposites, but the hypernyms (a tree is a kind of what?), meronyms (what are the parts of a tree?) and more. You can also find a list of hundreds of trees, from yellowwood to the Tree of Knowledge. This revolutionary approach will help you to understand the meanings of words better. Take a look at the screenshots to get the idea!
- Up to 250,000 entries, 1.6 million words, 335,000 relations
- 134,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
- Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance (just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
- Clear and precise definitions
- Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Advanced English Dictionary also includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms and more
- Unique conceptual thesaurus with word links
- Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing.
- Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smoothly scrolling screens
- Editable history/bookmarks function
- Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
- Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
- No internet connection required
Apple Watch Support:
Free or Paid:
Device(s) App Was Tested On:
This app is fully accessible with VoiceOver.
All except one of the buttons are clearly labelled. The exception is the last button on the bottom menu bar, which is unlabelled and takes you to the 'About' page.
The app is very easy to use.