Voice: OCR Document Reader
Description of App
Take a picture of anything that has words on it, and Voice will read it to you! Updated with cutting-edge technology, Voice will let you listen to all your mail, books, documents, and magazines in seconds.
We have built this app from the ground up with VoiceOver in mind, so you no longer have to worry about unlabelled buttons and complicated user interfaces.
Voice is as simple as it gets.
Hold your phone in front of a document. If it sees the page, it will tell you that "all 4 corners are visible". When you're ready, just say the word "Capture". Voice will automatically snap a picture. Then say "read," and Voice will read the words aloud to you.
- New and improved OCR quality! Be amazed at how accurate the app will read your documents. You no longer need to worry about low lighting and bad focus, Voice corrects it automatically and gives you near-perfect readings every time.
- Voice reads handwritten text! It can read the handwritten text even in cursive with slightly messy handwriting! Almost no other app can do this.
- Voice control. Now you can take a picture by simply saying "Capture" or "Take picture". Voice will literally snap a photo at your command. Then simply say the word "Read" and Voice will start reading it to you. Right now there are only 2 Voice commands but I will be adding more in future updates.
- Book mode – reads multiple pages one after another. Just simply keep taking photos. Then when you say "Read," Voice will be able to read them all to you one by one.
- Automatic language detection! The OCR will automatically find and detect the language of your text, so you can read documents that contain text with multiple languages! If you let VoiceOver do the reading, it can fluently switch between languages. Voice supports more than 50 languages!
- Field of view report – Just point it at a document. Voice will automatically tell you when all 4 corners of the document are visible.
- Fully compatible with VoiceOver and made specifically with accessibility in mind.
- Vertical and horizontal column detection and smart column-based reading- ex: newspapers.
- Adjustable speaking rate. Just customize it to your liking in the app Settings.
- PREMIUM FEATURE: For $4.99 per month, you can get access to 180 of the highest quality text-to-speech reading Voices on the planet, crafted using artificial intelligence and deep learning technology. These premium Voices are available in 41 languages and are updated every day to improve the quality and delivery of the sound. You can get access to this by separately purchasing a subscription to Voice Pro.
- This app works only when connected to the internet.
- Make sure your phone isn't on silent and your volume is all the way up (or enough for you to hear the voice).
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
fully accessible, though the tutorial is a little hard to navigate, as instead of adjusting the page value you must tap twice on each page to make it adjust, then eventually on page 6 you get a continue button. Before then you have an unlabelled button on screen which doesn't do anything, but one you get past the tutorial its all fine.
the developer welcomes feedback, he is a school student who is making this available for free but he is very interested in peoples comments and feedback on how to improve the app.
6 people have recommended this app
I am concerned about sensative content being transfrrerd to the net and would like to know more about that process.
would say common sense is key here, the developer has confirmed processing is done by some sort of google service, so would say if people are that concerned use something that does offline processing like knfb reader.
I remember a forum where I think the developer said he will at least take off the text to speech engine from the net, perhaps this deals with processing?
just launched app and when got passed tutorial screen on ipod touch and hit continue app crashes when app launches every time. I am using ipod touch fifth generation. IOS 8.3
I downloaded this app last night after listening to the AppleVis Extra. I can't get to the tutorial or any of the buttons. I read in the description about swiping and tapping twice on each page, but all I seem to get is an unlabeled button that does nothing when I double tap. Help is appreciated. Thanks bunches.
Try to do a three finger swipe to the left to move between pages.
After you get to the last page there should be a alert coming up.
So I have got passed the tutorial, but the app acts like it has frozen when I launch it every single time. I am running iOS8.3. I have deleted the app for now.
What's New in Version 3.3
- Now Voice can detect and read in over 30 languages!
- Most, if not all, of the VoiceOver incompatibilities have been fixed (including the annoying introduction at the beginning). So, Voice is fully compatible
- Export your detected text! You can now export it as a pdf, png, or txt file, and you can send it to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Email, and many
- Improved field of view report and document detection.
- iPhone also vibrates when four corners are detected.
- Made OCR processing faster.
- Better automatic photo capture.
- New bug spray invented to squash millions of bugs.
- Other various improvements.
I still see an empty screen.
So I can hold the phone above something and double-tap the take picture button, but I have no idea if it is seeing a page. I haven't got it to find any text yet, and even when it doesn't OCR anything, I get the reading screen with the buttons for play, previous and next page. Where's the field of view report? How can I figure out if it's going to take a pic of something it can actually OCR and when I'm in this reading screen, how do I return to the take picture screen?
me too, I ran it on an ipad, could that be the problem?
CRAZY CRAZY UPDATES TO THE APP.
Voice was completely remade from the ground up, with the best and latest technology. The OCR quality is spectacular, even on completely distorted and badly focused photos. New voice control features introduced. You can simply say the words "Take Picture" and Voice will take pictures for you. Can give extremely accurate field of view reports when it detects a document in front of you. It works in over 30 major languages and gives you the most powerful OCR reading tools right in your pocket.
But don't take my word for it, give Voice a download and see for yourself!
hi is this better then, anonymoanonymouse, than scanner from Voice Dream? isn't "every app amazing, spectacular, amm-have" in this department?
hi all i receive now, is "4 corners detected" but i get no field of view, and saying "take picture" is not working. thoughts?
Hey Will. I agree with @DMNagel. Try saying Capture. That should work unless you've denied permission to access your device's microphone. Let me know if it still doesn't work. Thank you for using the app.
Good morning! Before buying the app I would like to know if it supports Italian. Thank you!
Yes, it does support Italian.
ok thanks, then I'll take it!