Voice Dream Writer
Description of App
Voice Dream Writer helps everyone write better: Text-to-speech proofreading reduces mistakes, phonetic and meaning search help you use the right words, and an active outline helps you organize and improve the structure of your writing.
• Featured in the US App Store Education Collection.
• "Voice Dream Writer's technically designed for people with reading disabilities, but it's useful for just about anyone who needs a little help proofing." - Lifehacker
Text-To-Speech Proofreading. Professional proofreaders recommend reading out loud as the best way to catch mistakes. Like a personal proofreader, Voice Dream Writer reads your writing using text-to-speech, so you can easily spot awkward sentences, grammatical errors and typos. Also, it can read words and sentences as you type or voice dictate. This way, you can type faster because you no longer have to look up to check the text you just wrote.
Word Finder. Voice Dream Writer helps you find the right words using phonetic search and meaning search. For example, search for "inuf" phonetically, and you will find "enough", and search for "Fast Africa Cat" by meaning and you will find "Cheetah." Word Finder also shows you the dictionary definition of a word as you type without you having to select anything or open another program.
Outline. As you write, Voice Dream Writer automatically creates an outline of headings, paragraphs and sentences. The Outline helps you structure your document better by giving you an always-on overview. You can also quickly navigate to a section in a long document without endless scrolling. Finally, you can drag and drop elements in the Outline to organize your writing. No more selecting, cutting and pasting large blocks of text.
Besides these unique features, Voice Dream Writer also comes with everything you would expect from any great writing tool:
• Comprehensive settings for text appearance
• Uncluttered writing area
• Search for text
• Search for misspelled words
• Word count
• Synchronize and backup with iCloud
• Import and export for Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box
• Preview and print with multiple themes
• Markdown support for formatting
• Export to Microsoft Word format (compatible with Apple Pages)
• Support for Bluetooth keyboard
The app is not only fully accessible, it was designed with students and adults with print disabilities in mind. There are special tools for VoiceOver users to manage the cursor, select text, and find and correct misspelled words by stepping through them. Voice-based Proofreading and Phonetic Search are invaluable for people with dyslexia. Also included is the research-proven Dyslexie font.
Voice Dream Writer will continue to evolve. We would love to hear from you!
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
This is very easy and simple to use. Very accessible and offers great features. Will certainly replace my existing writing and note taking app with this one. No doubt my go to app of choice for notes. Spell checking dictionary, word count, and many more. Good bye Microsoft Word for iOS. It was design for us and made for us. Which make this a no brainer choice for me.
Developer's Twitter Username
7 people have recommended this app
As someone who is blind and dyslectic this app sounds amazing to me; I just wish it was on the mac since I don't really use my phone for productivity.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
• Now you can use the voices in Voice Dream Reader. Please update Voice Dream Reader and run it at least once.
• Bugs fixes
If I remember correct, they were announcing some give away promo codes. was that declared already?
Hi, I've been looking at voice dream writer ever since I bought it. But, there seems to be a few buttons missing. Mainly it's the ones regarding to the cursor. I don't remember offhand if there anything else missing, but if there is, I'll be sure to comment about it.
What's New in Version 1.1.0
- Updated voices: please update Voice Dream Reader and download all voices again.
- Added keyboard shortcut for spellcheck: Command-semicolon.
- Arrow keys to move selected row in the Outline.
- Added "Close" file command in File Actions, keyboard shortcut of Command-W.
- Added option to mark misspelled words visually.
- Markdown special characters are lighter.
- Fixed: More stable when Speak Word When Typing is enabled.
- Fixed: Hide Word Finder button now works with VoiceOver on.
- Fixed: Actions on a word in Word Finder not longer disappear.
- Fixed: Double tap on spacebar to end sentence now speaks the sentence.
- Other bug fixes and stability improvements.
In one podcast the developer has stated that he is planning on producing a mac version. I can't remember if the podcast was the AppleVis one, or from another site. Also, I love this app, but I really hope the ability to import .RTF files at the least is added soon. I find only being able to import only .TXT files extremely limiting. Best text editing app on IOS. Between VoiceDream Reader and writer, and Microsoft Word, IOS is a much better productivity platform now.
Hello! For months now I've been trying in vain to ffind this VoiceDream Writer application on the Nigerian App Store. As a delighted user of VoiceDream reader, I reckon it would be really great to just have the writer equivalent of the same App too; Huh?
So, please can this nonavailibility of the app on the Nigerian App Store be remedied??
I hope it can and will be remedied!
What's New in Version 1.2.0
- Added new fonts: Dyslexie and Inconsolata.
- Add misspelled word to dictionary so it won't be marked misspelled again.
- Fixed: Sometimes the last edits not saved.
- Fixed: Spellchecker crashes on correcting the last word.
- Fixed: iOS built-in voice freezing.
- Other minor bug fixes and enhancements.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
- Fixed Add To Dictionary button for VoiceOver users.
- Minor bug fixes.
What's New in Version 1.3.0
We have updated Voice Dream Writer for iOS 9, plus a few new features.
• Split-screen support for iOS 9.
• New free voice available in iOS 9: Alex.
• Support for iOS 9 keyboard shortcut bar.
• Support for iOS 9 Spotlight search (System-wide search from Home screen).
• Preview and print with multiple themes.
• Saving cursor location (local only and not synched through iCloud).
• Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Note: in iOS 9, 3-finger swipe left or right to show or hide sidebars do not work with Accessibility Zoom enabled.
What's New in Version 1.3.1
• Support for 3D Touch
• Short Cuts from Home Screen
• Peek and Pop from File Manager
• Force Tap on Fast Forward Button to temporarily double reading speed
• Fixed issues with large accessibility font size
• Minor enhancements and bug fixes
What's New in Version 1.4.0
• All premium voices are updated. Please update Voice Dream Reader to version 4 and download all purchased voices again.
• Support for iPad Pro.
• Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
While inside Voice Dream Writer my Markdown works perfectly, but when I export the file as RTF, HTML or DOCX, the effect of the Markdown is not honoured, but the Markdown codes are still in the text. This makes formatting totally useless. Has anyone got it to work and, if so, could you give some tips, please, as I am not getting it right, no matter what I do. I am also not getting any support from what seems to be a useless company as far as support is concerned. I have been contacting them for six weeks about this and have not got any help from them. If you are considering buying this app and formatting is important to you, just give it a miss.
I got it to find the missed spelled words know how do I make it give me suggestions for the correct spelling and once I find the right one how do I insert it? Thank you.
Is there any way we could get folder management in this app? I'd like to be able to organize files in subfolders with VoiceDream Writer
As of today, I've just downloaded the app and it rocks!! I also submitted a positive review on the appstore. hoping the app continues to be updated with improvements overtime. excellent writing app.