Description of App
Eye-D is here to assit the visually imapired in independent living by helping them evaluate the world around them with help of their smartphone.
It will work as your companion when you travel, help you explore places, tell yiu about the objects in front of you and read text whenever you need.
This is what we have built for you:
• Where Am I: Be it the busiest suburbs of Mumbai or the loneliest roads of Siberia, whether you are a common man or zombie, Eye-D will make sure that you are never lost. Tap on “Where Am I” and let the magic happen. You get to know your location with a list of landmarks nearby. Found any of the landmark interesting? Then why wait tap the preferred landmark and Eye-D guides you to it with directions (currently by opening Apple/ Google maps for navigation).
• Around Me: Stuck in an alien town? Calm down, fire the Eye-D app and select “Around Me”. Bingo!! You can now find ATM’s, Banks, Bus stops, Cinemas, Restaurants, Hospitals, Stores and even the Religious places nearby. Select the desired category and navigate to the preferred place. To ensure that you never miss out a place we have provided a search radius controller. So the next time you don’t find a relevant place nearby try adjusting the search radius to anything in the range of 500 to 5500 meters.
What? Still in that alien town? Come-on find the nearest bus stop and head out.
• See Object: I’m facing the gate… No the lemon tree…. No the bike, Easy pal!! Use the See Object mode in the Eye-D app to evaluate your surroundings. Click on this mode, take a picture and Eye-D app will tell you what’s in front. So the next time you are standing at the window use the See Object mode to check what’s happening on the other side. In case you missed the description the first time simply swipe right to hear again.
• Read Text: We designed this feature so that next time your visit a restaurant or want to get a novel for you friend you won’t have to ask anyone for help. Open read text mode, click a picture and Eye-D app will read the text in front you. You can swipe right to hear the text again in case you missed it the first time.
• Contact Us: Love the app? Have a suggestion for the team? Found a bug? Please use this mode to talk to us. We would love to hear from you.
Connect with us on social media:
The app is very accessible. The dev are very responsive and helpful. I am recommending to all.
First Couple Of Runs
After about 20 minutes of playing, I am most impressed with the app so far and am looking forward to future developments. I looked at the "Where Am I" section and got more information about what was around me using various distance parameters than with other apps like Blindsquare or Google maps. The same was true of the "around me" section. Using the "see object in image" section was quite entertaining, amuzing, and accurate. I took a few pictures of myself, the first attempt locked the app and gave mme an inferiority complex which will stay with me for the rest of my life. The second selfie described my face; it was an off-side view so, seeing my long hippy hair, told me I was a girl; I 70 years old and I'm a guy. Third try directly at my face indicated black hair, glasses, and told me I was a senior bringing up a little app hatred. I then took a picture of my dog which gave quite excellent description, a wolfe, an eastern European Shepherd, and some other details I forgot. Next, I took a picture of my outside area from a south-facing window and it described my neighbourhood as residential saying that there was a tree, a house, and rooftops.
I briefly test ""read text in image" using a very small loyalty card and it read the info I needed.
At present, I think this app is more useful when one is stationary but who knows what the future holds.
I have several
I have several of these types of apps on my phone. I really like this one, I have scrolled past it before but never decided to check it out until today. One question is there anyway to save the photos once you’ve taken them? If not that’s OK