Hokusai Audio Editor
Description of App
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
7 people have recommended this app
Hi AppleVis, I don't post much but just wanted to add my comment to this thread. Re speed and pitch I have the pro pack as well, and if you mean just changing the play back speed of a track, I found that double tapping will bring up the forward/back modes at the bottom of the screen, next to the selection start point button; hope that helps. If you mean editing so that you can add pitch shift or time stretch the amount that is applied would depend on the length of audio between the start and end selection points. Hope that helps if the previous comment author didn't find an answer. Anyway just to add, I love this app. I want to publically thank the developers for making this accessible, love it.
Arre you able to overlap recordings? You know, while one recording is playing,have another start while the first is still playing? I know you can edit each individual recording but my understanding is that they only flow into one another successively... Hope I'm making sense.
Hi Lily M,
Sorry for the delay in responding. My understanding is that if you have track A playing, and if I am understanding you correctly want track B to start after (say 10 seconds for example,) the only way you could do this is to insert some silence in to track B and then after your set time of silence; have track B’s audio play along side track A. Once it’s been exported it will have the effect you describe if I am understanding you correctly?
If not feel free to put me right and will try to help again.
So first, it is possible for me to play two tracks at once? (I forgot to ask that but I hoped it would be explained with the answer to my question.) And second, I could stagger one of the tracks by adding however many seconds of silence, right?
I think we're understanding each other although I do have one more question. How do I go about putting the recordings side-by-side. I stated in my other comment, that I had not done too much exploring with the app. But if the answer to this question is relatively easy to discover, you don't have to respond and I'll continue to play with it.
Thank you for the help so far, Mike
Yep you can play tracks together, normally all items in the same project will start at the same time if no editing has been applied. So if we use the track A and B examples I used, tracks A and B will play all at once if no edits have been done, (if no silence) or other effect was added as mentioned in the previous example.) So in short yep you can stagger them or play together. When you mean side-by-side, can you give me an example? Not sure if you mean one track after another? Or if you mean like a stereo track once exported.
Thanks, hope that helps.
Hi, I read downloaded this app and have been all through it but I am unable to find how to purchase the in app purchases. But I think I already did purchase them. And I cannot seem to find a restore purchases button either. Thanks a lot for any help!
I managed to get the pro features a few weeks ago by scrolling past all the projects that are saved (if you have any currently,) and in my case at the end of this list was a button which is now called 'pro pack installed'. So if you open the app you should be able to in theory scroll to the last menu item, which should announce what your upgraded feature is. If not you should get the 'restore' purchase option. I hope that helps in some way, but if not I can only suggest contacting the developers who are very helpful and easy to get hold of.
Thank you so far. And I mean a stereo track, not one after the other.
No worries, happy to help if I can. I would think that once edited you can mix down all tracks and export as stereo, I haven't tried this one though so it might be worth playing round with the app a little, unless any one has already done this and can add info. Sorry on that one; hope it helps all the same.
I'm surprised nobody's posted about last month's major update to this app. It just got even more accessible!
App store release notes for Hokusai 2:
Thanks for your patience while Hokusai 2 was created — the biggest ever update to Hokusai. Hokusai 2 has been completely rewritten, using Swift and other new technologies to bring you an app which is faster, more reliable and easier to use!
Don’t worry — your favourite features are still there — you’ll feel right at home. And, if you purchased any upgrades for Hokusai 1, they’re still valid for Hokusai 2!
• Completely rewritten for speed, reliability and ease of use
• Clean, modern design
• Redesigned Time Bar includes a new “scrubbable” play head for easy fast forward/rewind, adding audio anywhere in a project, and more
• Many effects can now be previewed live, instead of having to wait for them to apply first
• New Play/Pause & Preview bar right inside the effects panel makes previews easier to use too
• Hokusai’s “zooming sliders” have been redesigned so precise adjustments are a breeze — just “pinch to zoom”
• Many more FX parameters can be varied automatically
• Your project is always saved, not just when you remember to
• Undo/Redo works even after you close the project (or app!) and re-open it
• Hokusai always supported Dropbox, now you can also easily import/export from a variety of other cloud services — iCloud, Google Drive and more are just a tap away inside the Import panel(1)
• Bluetooth compatibility(2)
• Quickly search/filter your projects list
• Re-order the tracks in your project
• Mini-keyboards can now be scrolled to access the full 88-key piano range
• New to the iPhone: Use in Portrait as well as Landscape. And the Undo/Redo buttons from the iPad are now available on iPhone too.
• New to the iPad: Use in split-screen(3). And in full-screen, a new spacious layout for applying effects.
• It’s now quicker to set FX parameter start/end points with dual slider handles
• New curve editor makes it easier than ever to apply complex changes
• Many effects have been upgraded with either better sound quality, more features, or both
• Keyboard shortcut commands
OPTIONAL EXTRAS IN HOKUSAI 2:
As well as all the upgrades from Hokusai 1, all of the following can be unlocked with a single purchase:
• Select and apply edits & effects across multiple tracks at once
• Non-destructively pan tracks to the left or right
• Volume controls always available, not just when vertically zoomed
• Found the perfect settings for an effect? Save them out as a new preset to re-use whenever you need it
• Many effects now include handy factory presets too
• Mark effects and presets as favourites for fast access
• Export projects as an archive of separate tracks, for easy importing into desktop DAW software
• Create zip files containing complete archived projects (including Undo/Redo history) so you can restore them later and continue editing
• New effects including Noise Reduction, Autopan, and Mid-Side Decoding for converting audio made using high-end field recorders
(1) Requires the appropriate app to be installed on your device
(2) Playback only, due to technical limitations of Bluetooth audio
(3) On devices compatible with split-screen mode
I just searched on here for the word multitrack and found this app on AppleVis. It is incredible. No latency or anything. This has replaced windows audacity by far, even though I no longer have a laptop. I have recorded two acapelas and two songs in three harmonies. And the app was updated in march this year so it is still going. It is awesome!
The developers have done a fantastic job with this and Ferrite. Here is the latest update info from the app store.
• Compatibility and user-experience improvements.
Hey guys, I just started using the pro version of this app and I was wondering if anyone to help me mark up a part of the audio track so I could select it and then add an affect to it. I’m not sure how to do this exactly but if you guys could help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much!
how can I select a part of a file?
Thanks in advance
When you were trying to select a part of a track, all you have to do is:
Swipe until you hear the word selection, no track selected. Then, go to the track that you want to select and select it all. Afterwards, go to the part where you want to begin the selection and go back to where it says the word selection and swipe down to hear the options until you hear: start selection at x minutes and x seconds of track X.
Hope that helps!
Have a great evening.
If that doesn’t help however, I will be covering this on my YouTube channel if you want to check it out.