Shredder Chess for iPad
Description of App
Shredder, the most successful chess program ever, is now also available for the iPad. You can play against Shredder, analyze with him and solve chess puzzles. It offers the usual Shredder standard on your iPad.
In addition to the outstanding playing strength of the 12 times computer chess world champion, Shredder is also able to mimic the play of a human chess player with any playing strength. He even deliberately makes typical human mistakes in those levels.
Solve 1000 built in chess puzzles. Shredder keeps track of your performance and offers advice if needed.
You can adjust Shredder’s playing strength from beginner to master level. If you like, Shredder automatically adjusts his strength to yours. He even calculates an Elo rating for you. This is how the playing strength of chess players is typically measured.
During the game a coach is watching your moves and warns you if you are about to make a mistake.
See how you are getting better and better the more games you play and the more chess puzzles you solve.
- Adjustable playing strength
- Intuitive and very easy to operate
- 1000 built in chess puzzles
- Watch your rating improve in a diagram
- Outstanding playing strength on the iPad
- Analyse your games with Shredder, find your mistakes and improve your play
- Coach shows your mistakes
- Different playing styles from passive to aggressive
- Great variety: browsable opening book with more than one million moves
- Access 1200 GB of endgame databases online
- Enter and analyze any position you like
- Load and save games (incl. names, date, etc.)
- Send games via email
- Different chess boards and pieces
- VoiceOver / Accessibility support
- Improve your play whenever and wherever you like
Save 10 USD/EUR when buying Shredder 12 or Deep Shredder 12 (Mac, Windows or Linux). You will find your coupon code in the program info section.
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
0 people have recommended this app
Maybe my version is an updated one, but it announces all of it's moves when made. The only thing that it does not allow me to do is to set up a board position and play from that point. I'm using an iPhone 6 with firmware 8.3. In the settings, be sure to check your sound options. FYI: my current ELO rating is 1330.
Yes, VO does announce moves and also announces openings when highlighted. That said, I'll be writing to the developer to request that VO announces hints which it does on the iPhone but not the iPad.
Shredder Chess is a superb app!
"This app is actually quite nice to use with VoiceOver, except for one thing they apparently unfortunately forgot: Shredder does not announce the move the computer made!"
In response to Mario's comments, Shredder does announce the computer's moves albeit INTERRUPTED and I agree you have to manually check the moves.
In the meantime, the app developer advised he will add my request to his to do list regarding hints.
Further to my comments, I'm not encountering any issues regarding hints after a few moves nor announcement of computer moves.
If you like playing chess, Shredder for the iPad and iPhone is well worth the asking price.