Description of App
BBC iPlayer brings you the latest and greatest TV series and box sets from the BBC. Watch live, on-demand or download to take away with you - all in one app!
Enjoy watching live TV in the palm of your hand, from live news coverage, music and big sport events to great comedies, gripping documentaries and nail-biting dramas. Looking for a little entertainment for the children? Create an account for a more child-friendly experience and your little ones can watch all of their favourite shows from CBBC and CBeebies!
Watch the latest TV series and box sets.
• Discover the latest TV series and Box Sets: from Strictly Come Dancing and RuPaul's Drag Race UK, to His Dark Materials and Blue Planet – we've got a wide selection of categories and channels to watch.
• Download shows to your device: save all your favourite programmes on your mobile or tablet device so you can watch them offline and at a time that’s convenient for you.
• Pause and restart live TV: just missed the start of a TV episode? Now you can pause and rewind live channels part way through so that you don’t miss a thing!
• Build a playlist of your favour programmes: can’t watch a programme right now? Just tap the ‘+Add’ button to build your own programme playlist.
• Enjoy the benefits of signing in: start watching on one device and resume watching on another plus receive recommendations of shows we think you might enjoy.
• Stream programmes to your TV using Apple AirPlay and Google Chromecast; please note this requires a supported device and compatible supported device connected to your TV.
The app was developed by Media AT (BBC Media Applications Technologies Limited) which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). Full details of Media AT are available on the Companies House website at: http://data.companieshouse.gov.uk/doc/company/07100235
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
I have found no trouble with the app so far.
I noticed that if you watch an audio described programme, you can't watch the programme audio described in My Programmes.
0 people have recommended this app
Hi, the implementation of audio description on iPlayer for IOS isn't great, you have to go searching for it in the catalogue so if you have something in the Apple TV app in up next, it doesn't seem to resume with audio description. This is poor in my view. It does seem to be better on Apple TV where you can choose between the two versions at the start of playback, it should be the same as other audio description as other streaming services though. As it stands,I think many blind users will not even realise that there is audio description for the majority of shows.
I tried to get this app but it wasn’t available in my region. I wish developers would please add information on what regions were supported in the descriptions.
I find that the audio description section offered is far fewer than I was hoping. For instance, when I play a video that's under audio description, it doesn't actually seem to play the audio description track even though it is available under audio description section of the app.
do I need to turn something on in order for me to get audio description to play?
Also, it seems only certain series of a program has AD but not all series.
Hi, for some reason that I don’t understand, you can only seem to be able to play the most recent episode of an audio described program from the programs page. You can get to play other episodes only if they appear on the recent list. However, on the website, you can easily play all episodes that are audio described easily and once you turn the audio description on on the website it seems to remain on. I would suggest using the website instead of the app. Bear in mind that when you get in parental lock message or other alerts on the website, you sometimes have to tap once on the screen to get voice-over to refresh and recognised that the buttons are there. I spent ages wondering why the play button was grade out no matter what I did and I think it was because of that.
Can you please add the link so I can get more described shows to listen too.
I am assuming that this app. and it's content isn't available outside the UK and is restricted. I am not sure about that since I haven't tried it yet. Thank you for the review, very helpful
One thing which boils my blood about the BBC is its lust for geo blocking. That is, if the game is on in the UK, but I'm in the US, I'm SOL unless I have a VPN. Then, just to top things off, they make it so that I can't even watch with the VPN. Is this still the case? It's been so for years and years now.