Voice Dream Reader
Description of App
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
This is a very accessible app, and the developers seem truly committed to improving it. Organizing content is somewhat difficult and may require sighted assistance, but downloading and reading content works very well. As of the latest release, 2.7.2, the developer has fixed the issues noted below with regards to the inaccessibility of the text box. It is now possible to read by words, characters and lines through the text with voiceOver.
The samples for peter (happy) and peter (sad) which previously did not play are now working properly.
Developer's Twitter Username
33 people have recommended this app
The developer of Voice Dream Reader has posted the following warning on their Facebook page:Bad news, good news and great news! Bad news: current version of Voice Dream Reader does not work on iOS 7. Apple dropped a few things that will break many apps. Good news: I just submitted a new release to Apple that will support iOS 7. Hopefully it'll be out in 1 week. Great news: The new release will make all 36 iOS 7 built-in VoiceOver voices available in Voice Dream Reader, for free. By the way, in iOS 7, you can "enhance" any VoiceOver voice. The quality is much better. But please, do not upgrade to iOS 7 until after you download next release, 2.8.3!
- Support for DAISY 2.02 audiobooks.
- Support for audiobooks as zipped MP3 files. (1)
- Support for large library of books. (2)
- Improved PDF text extraction with better detection of spaces.
- Fixed problem with using remote control with iOS 7 voices.
- Zipped MP3s create a single book item in Voice Dream. The name of the ZIP file becomes the title, and each MP3 file becomes a chapter with the name of the file as chapter name. Please make sure the MP3 file names are sorted in the same order as it appears in the book.
- Many people use Voice Dream as their library with thousands of books, resulting very large databases. This release changes how the content is stored so that future database updates will be smooth and trouble-free.
What's New in Version 2.9.3
- New voice: James from NeoSpeech. It's now our favorite US male voice.
- Collapse or expand DAISY hierarchies by selecting a level.
- Support for encrypted DAISY audiobooks. In the previous version, the chapters were ordered incorrectly.
- Fixed: Edited text is now immediately visible.
- Fixed: Pausing issues with iOS 7 built-in voices. Please upgrade to iOS 7.0.4.
- Fixed: Problems handling audio interruptions.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
Version 3.0 of this app just came out. It offers full support for all Daisy versions, improved PDF rendering, braille display fixes, easier text selection, and more. One of the biggest new features is the four Ivona voices, two American and two British, now offered for $4.99 each - Sally, Joey, Brian, and Amy. It is a free update, so go get it, and happy reading!
wow! Tha'ts cool they final added the ivona voices. I love those voices very much! As of now I don't need the app, but at least it is in my wish list should I need it later in my college career.
Have you tried this with several file formats of large size that voice dream reader supports to see if the bug still occurs with the ivona voice you use? I don't use the app but just trying to help here.
What's New in Version 3.0.1
- Fixed: Loading files directly into a folder
- Fixed: App exits running the first time after update
- Fixed: iOS voice responsiveness
What's New in Version 3.0.3
All Ivona voices are now available:
-US English: Kendra, Ivy (Child), Kimberly, Jennifer, Eric, and Chipmunk
-British English: Emma
-Welsh English: Geraint and Gwyneth
-Australian English: Nicole and Russell
-Indian English: Reveeena
-Plus Ivona voices for Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Welsh, Polish, Portuguese, Turkish, Romanian and Icelandic.