Description of App
With its uniquely effective word learning system, the Vocabulary.com app helps you master words through a fun and addictive game. And it’s powered by the world's smartest, fastest dictionary. From the makers of the award-winning Vocabulary.com website, this app will expand your vocabulary with lightning speed!
“A positively addictive app for aspiring wordsmiths.” —Fast Company
“Vocabulary.com reveals the truth about your vocabulary skills and helps you improve.” —AppAdvice
“An addictive word-learning app... an approachable dictionary and quiz machine.” —TIME
* Featured in Best New Apps for Reference
IT’S A SCIENCE...
Vocabulary.com is a comprehensive program for lifelong learning of vocabulary, in which each activity is specially chosen for you.
• We use sophisticated algorithms to help you learn more effectively.
• We start with 120,000 questions that teach 12,000 words.
• We use the science of learning to model how you learn (and retain) new words.
• By comparing your answers to the hundreds of millions of answers given by other Vocabulary.com users, we personalize your learning experience and choose the best question for you at just the right time.
...AND IT’S A GAME
We’ve turned learning vocabulary into an addictive game. You may not even notice that you’re learning along the way.
• Accumulate points, achievements and badges.
• Compete with Vocabulary.com users from throughout the world.
Studying for an exam like the SAT, GRE, or TOEFL? We have learnable lists for you, covering everything from standardized tests to breaking news — you name it.
• Choose from one of our 50,000 ready-to-learn lists.
• Or if you see a word in the dictionary that you want to learn, just click "learn this word" and we'll teach it to you.
...OR WE CHOOSE
Don't have a specific word or list in mind? Let our adaptive learning system find the right word for you.
• Just play a few questions, and we'll pinpoint the words that are appropriate for your level.
• We won't waste your time on words that are too easy or too hard.
Like a good coach, Vocabulary.com won’t give up on you. Whether you pick the words or let us find them for you, we’ll work with you until you've mastered them.
And even after you've achieved mastery, we'll continue to reinforce what you have learned to make sure that it all stays fresh in your memory. Next thing you know, you’ll be expanding your vocabulary and improving your communication, a key to success in school and business.
FINALLY, A DICTIONARY WITH A SOUL
Our dictionary was written for humans, by humans. Look up a word, and you’ll read a friendly explanation that you'll actually remember. It’s as if your favorite teacher were explaining it to you.
We include clever usage tips and thousands of real-world example sentences that'll show you how words live in the wild and will make you more confident about using them yourself.
See a word you’d like to know better? Tap "Learn this Word" and easily add it to your learning program.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Vocabulary.com is among the quickest, and most intelligent ways for students to improve their vocabulary. Regardless of education level or age, Vocabulary.com will help master the words that are essential to academic and business success." —National Education Association
“Educators who are familiar with Vocabulary.com are impressed by the technology. It is a sign, they say, that real progress is finally being made in computer-assisted education.” —The New York Times
“Vocabulary.com could actually make speaking well cool again.” —TIME
“Vocabulary.com boasts a Web-based dashboard bristling with points, levels, progress bars and achievement bonuses, among other attractions.” —USA Today
HONORS AND AWARDS
• TIME’s 50 Best Websites of the Year
• PC Magazine's Top 100 Websites of the Year
• Tech & Learning Award of Excellence
• Webby Awards: Official Honoree in Education
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
This app is a game as well as a dictionary and a very useful tool for those who want to study for exams. If you find it easy at first your in for a shock so ttake your time, the game is very adaptive and the words you learn will stay in your head a while later.
Developer's Twitter Username
1 people have recommended this app
Hello. I don't own an i-device but wanted to make some comments about the website itself. I registered on there just last week, and the site is very accessible with VoiceOver and Chromevox on my Mac Book Air. In addition, I was able to solve the audio CAPTCHA in just one try. While I feel that audio CAPTCHAs discriminate against people with hearing impairments, this one is without a doubt the best one for people without hearing loss that I've seen. I haven't had much time on the site, but it looks to be rather addictive. Kudos to the team over there for making their site very accessible with Chromevox and VO, and here's hoping their app will soon be made accessible too.