After much searching of the internet and lots of trial and error, I managed to do this successfully. I thought I'd add my steps here as I have seen it asked for and have found no steps specific to installing an 8.1 bootcamp without vision or visual aids such as talking installers.. As a bit of background, I made this work with a 15 inch macbook pro mid 2013 and os 10.11 updated to the latest version. These steps can be performed using newer macs from the last two or three years and running the latest version of Mac OS. For this reason, I recommend updating before starting.
What you'll need
A mac running the latest updates of OS 10.11
a windows 8.1 ISO file and product key
A USB flash or external hard drive that you are okay with being wiped free
1. Place your windows ISO on your mac hard drive, somewhere you know you can find it.
2. plug in your external flash or hard drive
3. Navigate to your applications folder, open utilities, find bootcamp assistant, and open it.
4. Tab until you hear "continue, and press it.
5. tab through this screen and make sure that all three checkboxes are checked. If they aren't, check them by pressing space on each and continue.
6. Tab to the choose button and navigate to the location where you stored the ISO file. press enter to choose.
7. Continue tabbing passed choose to select the hard drive to install windows content. Use your arrows to select the drive and continue.
8. making the bootable USB of windows as well as downloading necessary apple support drivers will take some time. Once finished, bootcamp will ask you how you want to partition your mac's hard drive. Here, you can either divide it equally or resize it yourself. Use VO with your arrows to find where voiceover says "vertical splitter. Interact with that to resize your drives if you so choose and hit continue. Otherwise, hit divide equally and then continue.
9. wait for your mac to restart. When it does, you'll be on the first windows 8 setup screen for language and input. Press enter, and then enter again to install.
10. Type in your product key without dashes and hit enter
11. Press alt A to check the agree to terms check box, followed by alt N.
Note: your alt key is the option key on your keyboard
12. This screen asks you if you'd like a custom install or to upgrade from a previous version of windows. We want custom, so hit the letter C
13. Down arrow three times to your newly created bootcamp hard drive. this will select the appropriate drive. Press alt F for format.
Note 1: arrowing through this screen to many times will make it wrap up to select the top entry.
Note 2: some guides tell you to hit alt A here instead of Alt F. If you value your sanity, do not press alt A.
14. On the format screen, press your tab key to OK and hit enter. Now hit alt N
15. Now you're installing windows. You will hear some hard drive activity while this takes place. Be prepared to wait a while. Your computer will reboot twice before landing on the windows setup screen.
16. Here you should be able to hit windows U for Narrator and go through setup with speech and sound. Your windows key is command.
17. Once done setting up windows, open the external media that you used to install from. Press B for the bootcamp folder. Open that and press enter on setup and follow the instructions to install bootcamp drivers.
That's it. you can remove your external drive and go about your way. If you encounter issues with windows, try updating your mac. I would also be glad to try and answer any questions you have. Hope this helps someone.