I have an issue I would like to discuss. When I ask Siri to speak screen in iBooks, it sometimes recognizes the wrong language. I would rather use speak screen instead of two-finger-swiping for continuous reading since I get disturbed by notifications and I don't want to turn on do not disturb in case I get an important call or something. Plus, I have found that the iPhone's screen really heats up while reading longer periods.
Next follows some things I've tried:
(It should be noted that my iPhone's primary language is set to Swedish, and so are also Siri and VoiceOver)
- When the primary language is set to Swedish, speak screen reads the first page from every new chapter of an English text in German
- When the primary language is set to English, speak screen does the exact same thing but reads Swedish texts in English instead
- I have been using female Siri voices for both the speech setting in accessibility and the speech setting in VoiceOver
I have tried:
- Reverting back to the original VoiceOver voices
- Tried other apps to see what happens and have had various results.
I've discovered the same issue when using Safari and other in-built Apple apps. However, when using Kindle and another ebook app called Bookari, it recognized the languages without any problem
I have googled, and googled, and googled, yet I haven't been able to find a solution. I really hope there is a solution. I'd much rather this work out than have to email Accessibility and have them tell me it's a bug which they will eventually solve, thus resulting in me having to wait for them to do something about it.
I mean, I have read threads about this issue which stem back to the launch of iOS 10, and I assume people have raised this issue to Apple before, and if they haven't done anything about it up till now, there is nothing to suggest they will do so in the future. I have reported other bugs to them several years ago and have seen no changes regarding them. For example, the fact that iBooks keeps reading ' (apostrophe) out loud has been bugging me for a long while now. Using speak screen actually solved this problem, since it doesn't read punctuations at all, but then I have to contend with the language issue.
Ok, so this got really long. I hope you managed to read it all. Any help, any suggestion, would be very much appreciated. Thank you! /Leonora