I currently use an Aser Longtitude with Windows 10 and Jaws 16. I want to buy a new computer but which one? I am a Phd student and I work in a UK University, so need quite a sifticated piece of kit that can do quite a lot for me in terms of everyday software like Microsoft Office Professional, e-mail, internet browsing, music and other standard software applications but I also need to run SPSS and similar analysis software. I was looking at a new Windows lap top but I cannot get that much for the £700 I have to spend (that's about 1,000 dollars).
I was looking at something like an I5 2 Gb with 6 Gb of ram and a 250 Gb SSD. However, in terms of Windows the good ones are about £1,000 (1,350 dollars).
However, as a student in the UK, I can get the basic iMac (PRO) for a little under £800 and the iMac AIR for between £500 (750 dollars) and £800 (1,200 dollars). So:
1. Should I get some kind of Mac and can I use it as a blind person? I know that I can use Voice Over on the Mac but is it as good as Jaws?
2. Is standard software such as Microsoft Office Professional accessible for me using a Mac with Voice Over and what about other software applications?
3. Is it fairly easy for me to convert from Windows to Mac i.e are the key commands fairly similar?
4. For those blind people who use a Mac, would you ever go back to a Windows computer and do you love your Mac??
5. What should I get for the money I have? I'd go a little bit more for an iMac (PRO) if it really that much better than an Air.