UPDATE - Here is a video of a blind user demonstrating Voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAqbwxij5xA
I am a high school student and app developer and I posted about Voice earlier in this post: http://www.applevis.com/forum/ios-ios-app-discussion/free-new-ocr-app-ca....
For those who don't know, this app is free and I plan to keep it free forever. I welcome any feedback so that I can further improve Voice. I am not blind or low vision, but I really want to help the community. So if you could take the time to give any feedback or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Last time I posted, I got some really insightful and helpful feedback and I utilized that feedback to improve Voice.
So here are some of the new features of Voice that were added in the update:
1. Now Voice can detect and read in over 30 languages!
2. Most, if not all, of the VoiceOver incompatibilities have been fixed (including the annoying introduction at the beginning). So, Voice is fully compatible with VoiceOver!
3. Export your detected text! You can now export it as a pdf, png, or txt file, and you can send it to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Email, and many more third party services!
4. Improved field of view report and document detection.
5. iPhone vibrates when four corners are detected.
6. Picking photos from iPhone photo library now is compatible with VoiceOver.
7. Made OCR processing faster.
8. Better automatic photo capture.
9. And other small improvements here and there.
The supported languages are Arabic (ar-SA), 3 types of Chinese (zh-CN, zh-HK, zh-TW), Czech (cs-CZ), Danish (da-DK), 2 types of Dutch (nl-BE, nl-NL), 5 types of English (en-AU, en-GB, en-IE, en-US, en-ZA), Finnish (fi-FI), 2 types of French (fr-CA, fr-FR), German (de-DE), Greek (el-GR), Hebrew (he-IL), Hindi (hi-IN), Hungarian (hu-HU), Indonesian (id-ID), Italian (it-IT), Japanese (ja-JP), Korean (ko-KR), Norwegian (no-NO), Polish (pl-PL), 2 types of Portuguese (pt-BR, pt-PT), Romanian (ro-RO), Russian (ru-RU), Slovak (sk-SK), 2 types of Spanish (es-ES, es-MX), Swedish (sv-SE), Thai (th-TH), and Turkish (tr-TR).
Here are some of the already existing features of Voice:
1. Fully compatible with Voice-Over.
2. Field of view report where it detects whether the document is in view, and if it is, it will say "Four corners detected".
3. If the automatic capture feature is turned on in settings, the app will find the document using the camera, and automatically take a picture when the document is in view, without any user interaction.
4. If an image is taken at a slight angle, it will fix the perspective distortion and align the image properly.
5. If the image is of a curved surface, it will adjust the image to straighten it.
6. Book mode which allows the user to take multiple photos, and it will read the photos one after another. The great thing with this feature is that while the first photo is being read, the second is being processed and so on, so it does not use additional processing time.
7. If the image is too bright, or not bright enough, the app will correct the brightness of the image before processing.
8. Vertical and horizontal column detection for reading different columns in a newspaper; the app does this automatically.
9. Only a 3 megabyte install size.
Also, since in the last post, many people were concerned with privacy. Let me clarify it.
The OCR engine uses an internet connection to work. I am not using the offline Tesseract engines for OCR that Prizmo and KNFB Reader use because Tesseract has a lot worse OCR results. So an internet connection is required for the App to work. The photos are sent to a server for detection. But the photo is encrypted so no one is able to gain access to the photo, including me. Once the photo has been finished processing, the photo is deleted from the server. Then an offline Text-to-speech reads the text. Once you decide to go back to the main menu after Voice has finished reading, both the text and the photo are permanently deleted from the device.
So those are some of the features of Voice.
Here is the link to the app on the iTunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-take-picture-have-it/id903772588?mt=8
My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope you find this application helpful. I am open to any suggestions and even though I may not reply to email very quickly, I do read all the emails and suggestions and I do try and bring what you want the most into Voice. Thank you for reading.