Get your emoji game on!
Hey everyone!... I found a fun little feature in IOS that I'd like to share with you...
Emojies add a lot of fun to messages but, if you're like me, swiping through thousands of images to get to the right one is frustrating... No more! Simple tip:
Write out your message, hit the emoji button on the bottom left of your keyboard (assuming you have it as your secondary keyboard), go through the VO rotor until you get to "emoji" and then flick down. Words with corresponding emoji have been highlighted so simply tap on the ones you want to convert and select from the options... Now you're doing emoji like a boss...
*Note: I'm not sure if emoji is already a plural so, members of the grammar police, please forgive me, I know not what I do!
That is awesome. Wish I could make it work on a bluetooth keyboard but this will sork on my iPhone. Thanks for sharing this tip.
Haha. This works great. Thanks for sharing.
I discovered this recently, and something else worth knowing is that once you have written your message you don't have to turn through the rotor on spec to see if the emoji option is there, once you write your message out if you flick away from and back to the text field if there are emoji replacements available VoiceOver will actually announce this so then you can use the rotor to access them as described above.
I just noticed it works with a keyboard so can do it on iPad with keyboard too. Just press ctrl.space and then do it until you hear emoji.
hello, i do not have this function on my keyboard. I write a message, then switch to emoji, then turn the rotor, but no "emoji" feature appears.
I have also changed my setting, turning `the predictive typing on, it annoys me so i usually turn it off - but nothing happens. Emoji is not a rotor option.
I don't have jhis either, and I'm not using a keyboard. I just jested it out in Facebook by typing the word dog just for the fun of it, went to emoji keyboard & did the steps outlined above, and couldn't find it on the rotor. I even went into my iettings for the rotor and couldn't find it. That would be a nice feature to have though. I bove emojis, but sometimes the ones I want aren't in the categories that I jhink they should be in, such as the four leaf clover.
Can anyone telb me how they got this function on their devices?
This is using the latest IOS, if you're on iOS 10 or lower you won't have the ability.
Alright, so I had already posted something earlier saying that I couldn't get it to work either and that I was running the latest version of iOS 11.
After a little more playing around, I realized that it does work, just not in the Facebook app. I've tried this in Messages and was successful. I just typed something stupid like "The dog and cat ate some sushi." and, as instructed, changed my keyboard to the emogy keyboard. Then turned the rotor and did indeed get an "Emogy" item and was able to change the words "Dog", "cat" and "sushi" to their respective emogies. As for the "dog" and "cat" emogies though, I was presented with both the "Dog" and "Dog face" and "cat" and "cat face" emogies.
I wonder why this only works in certain apps and not all of them. Hopefully it could simply be a small thing that Facebook needs to enable or something. Just thought I would share this small tidbit of information, so that way for those trying and not succeeding, they could at least know that it could be the app their using that is not making the "emogy" rotor item appear.
That is interesting. If I break the steps down maybe we can work this batboy out, my original explanation was probably a bit messy.
1. Write your text using the onscreen keyboard.
2. Thump the emoji button to get to the emoji keyboards.
3. Now, when you return to the edit field it should say "Emoji available" as long as there are in fact matches. This depends on content.
4. Sweep through the rotor until you get to "Emoji"
5. Flick down to move through the words that can be replaced.
5. Double tap the word and a pop up appears, select the emoji you want and you should be golden.
Note: Has to be IOS 11 and you have to switch to the emoji keyboard before IOS tries to recognise words that can become emoji.
Hi Big Cat, in a small way, we were both right. Which app were you trying this in? Like I said in my previous post, it doesn't seem to work in every app. I tried it originally in Facebook and it didn't work. But when I tried it again in Messages, it worked.
I have a feeling that this might not be system wide. The best thing for everyone to do is to try it, if it doesn't work, that means that it just doesn't work for that particular app. Unless I did something wrong when trying it in Facebook, who knows? I did the same thing in Messages and, like I said, it worked the first time.
Thanks for the tip though. I do find this method a whole lot easier to insert emogies in text, even though it only works in certain apps.
More testing should have been done by me. Strange, I'd have thought it would be system wide.
hello, I gave another try, on the Messages app - i tried on whatsapp before -, but, in messages it does not work either
Hi Elena, what version of iOS are you using? Here's what I did that seemed to work. Perhaps you could try it.
1) Open the Messages app and start a new conversation with someone you know that has an iDevice. Make sure that the conversation is an iMessage and not a Text Message.
2) In the edit field, try typing the text I tried myself "The dog and the cat ate some sushi".
3) on the bottom left of your keyboard, left to the dictation button, press to change your keyboard to the emogy keyboard.
4) Make sure that VoiceOver focus is on the edit field by swiping left or right until you are back on the edit field.
5) turn the rotor until you hear "emogy". I believe that you should already be on "emogy" but just make sure.
6) If you find it, swipe with one finger either up or down and you should get three items, one for "dog", "cat" and "sushi".
7) When you are on the one you wish to change, do a one finger double tap and that's it. If you do the one finger double tap on either the dog or cat, you will have a list of two emogies relating to either "dog" or "cat". Just swipe with one finger left or right and do a one finger double tap on the emogy you want and that is it.
Hope that helps.
Hi All, ok using iPhone 6s iOS 11.2.1 This works in the messages app. It does not work in FB or FB messenger for me. So seems to only work with the native messages app. It's odd because everything is exactly the same until you use the rotor and then Emoji does not appear.
If you type "The dog and the cat" for example, you can see on the predictions, Cat, I think cats and then Catface. Well, that catface is not the word, but the emoji for the cat face. Or, sometimes, I'm not sure how because I sometimes see it and sometimes not, but on longer messages on the predictions (right on top of your text), The message "Emoji replacements available" pops up. If you tap on it, it replaces some words with the available emojis for some of them.
To confirm what others have said, this feature was only designed to work in the Messages app.
Although the rotor option doesn't work in third party apps, one option is to type a word, then swipe right past the 'send' option and you will see a list of replacement words, the emoji is one option if available for the word you typed, this works for me in What's app