Description of App
"VisionAssist is a very impressive app that, over time, could make portable electronic magnifiers obsolete." - VisionAssist gains 5 stars in review on About.com from assistive technology writer Andrew Leibs.
VisionAssist is a new category of handheld electronic magnifier that utilizes your smartphone. It is designed to help people with Low Vision conditions including AMD (age related macular degeneration), Glaucoma, Diabetic Retinopathy, Cataracts and color blindness. Why purchase an expensive dedicated electronic video magnifier when you can utilize your smartphone or tablet that is always with you. Use it on your iPhone for when you are out and about, use it with your iPad for big easy to read images, or connect it wirelessly with your Apple TV and your big screen TV or computer monitor at home for extra large viewing!
If you find that a magnifying glass or glasses do not provide enough clarity, VisionAssist will provide magnification and enable you to improve the contrast to help you read or see what you want to read. If you are in a dark area, you can use the iPhone's flash as a torch to lighten up what you are reading.
It works on all Apple devices with a camera including iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
Things that you can do with VisionAssist -
* Read restaurant menus, even in low light
* Review labels on medicine bottles
* Scan through grocery lists and ingredients at the supermarket
* Read newspapers
* Check prices and review receipts
* Work on your favorite crosswords
* Find a number in the phone book
* Look at family photos
* Handy if you forget your glasses
* Save your enhanced images in your Camera Roll
* New user interface where you can choose between buttons and sliders, and you can hide the user interface to get a full screen image
* You can use it wirelessly with your AppleTV to magnify an image and show it on your big screen TV or monitor
* You can zoom an image up to 20x and pan it around.
* You can pause or freeze the image if you would like to take your time to study it or adjust the contrast. You can continue to zoom and pan it.
* In low light conditions, you can use the camera flash for lighting up what you are viewing (only available on models with flashes)
* Change the display mode and magnification to best match your vision
* Color Video - provides color video, great for looking at photos and magazines
* B&W Video - provides grayscale video
* Highlights - provides a high contrast image in two colors. You can choose black on white, white on black, black on yellow, and blue on yellow which is more comfortable for certain eye conditions.
* Smart text - uses our advanced algorithms to highlight and enhance text particularly on uneven backgrounds. Great for reading newspapers or books.
* Uses autofocus to provide the sharpest images possible
* Fully compatible with VoiceOver
* Choose to use autofocus or fixed focus
* Stunning on the big screen of the third and forth generation iPads, works best with iPhone 4S, 5, iPad 3 and 4.
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
Developer's Twitter Username
0 people have recommended this app
The developer of this app has kindly given us a couple of promo codes to give-away.
If you would like one of these codes, please contact us. Please only ask for a code if you think the app would be of real use to you. It would also be appreciated if the 2 people who receive the codes could post some feedback here on how well the app performs for them.
What's New in Version 2.2
- new feature - in freeze mode, save enhanced image to camera roll.
- new feature - new setting to only enable panning in pause mode.
- new feature - new setting to enable an inverse Highlights mode (swaps the Highlights colors)
- new feature - new setting that allows the user to hide all controls by tapping the screen, so that users can get a full screen of information.
- new feature - new setting that allows the user to disable auto dimming of the screen.
- new feature - new setting that allows the user to buttons instead of slider bars for changing zoom and threshold
- improvement - increased size of text notifications
- improvement - zoom indicator is more correct now. When smartphone is held approximately 10cm from a page, then this zoom indicator is approximately correct.
- added German translations (thanks to Georgio Betsos)
- improvement - match help and settings screen to iPhone 5 sized screen
- improvement - freeze display on iPhone and iPod when entering settings or help (improves performance)
Is this app any better than ZoomReader or is ZoomReader better than this one? Please explain.
I am looking for an app with much greater magnification than ZoomReader. Does this app have that? I am wanting to be able to read things like signs and text on TV screens from a decent distance.
Also, is there a way on this app to turn normally black text on a white background into white text on a black background?
VisionAssist does not read the text out to you. What it does to is allow you to enlarge text and apply a number of enhanced colour effects to it like black on white or white on black to improve contrast.
You can choose to zoom and apply these effects in "real time" or alternatively you can pause the image and pan around if that is more comfortable.
I have not used ZoomReader so I am unable to comment on its range or usability.
Awesome to see another app dev on here so easily accessible to customers! Thanks so much for the reply/info!