In this twenty-third episode of the AppleVis Extra, Michael Hansen, AnonyMouse, and Monique Ramirez talk with James Gashel—Vice President for Business Development at K-NFB Reading Technology and Secretary of the National Federation of the Blind’s Board of Directors—about the upcoming KNFBReader Mobile iPhone app. James discusses some of the challenges associated with development of KNFBReader Mobile for iPhone; tells the listener what sets KNFBReader apart from other OCR apps; and also answers many questions from the interview panel, ranging from an explanation of the app’s $99 price tag to whether the app can run on older devices—and everything in-between.
Some of the features of the upcoming KNFBReader iPhone app will include:
- Recognition of PowerPoint slides, from up to 25 feet away.
- Scanning and OCR for PDF documents.
- A "Field of View" report for documents.
- A book scanning mode for quickly scanning many pages.
- The ability to navigate text by word, sentence, etc.
- The ability to save in a variety of file formats, including PDF.
- The ability to scan business cards and save to contacts
- Recognition and translation between different languages.
K-NFB Reading Technology has made a recording of the official unveiling and demonstration of the KNFBReader app available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/69efpxabpv8d0h6/KNFBReader%20Official%20unveiling%20NFB14.mp3. The National Federation of the Blind has also published audio of James Gashel's KNFBReader presentation at the federation's 74th annual national convention on July 6, 2014.