Description of App
Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).
• Connect your Google Voice account for phone number, SMS, and voicemail integration.
• Keep in touch with friends across all your devices.
• Message friends anytime, even if they're offline.
• Manage mobile app remotely with Google Cloud.
Note: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might be charged.
Free or Paid
Apple Watch Support
Device(s) App Was Tested On
Developer's Twitter Username
5 people have recommended this app
Google has made some improvements in this latest version. However, it still has a long way to go to make this anywhere close in making this accessible.
You can now see your Google Group friends and such. By some hit and miss approach I was able to start a Video call but it left me with a page that was with a lot of unlabel buttons.
So hopefully they will continue to bang away at it and made this even more accessible to where I would find it truely accessible. The concept is great and I would love to try this out in a group environment. For now we must wait until that day comes.
What's New in Version 1.1.2
You can now join Hangouts On Air
Bug fixes and performance improvements
One would think after 5 months and 3 minor releases. From 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 and now to 1.3 that we would see some improvements with VoiceOver. Sadly, it is still riddle with unlabel buttons and hit and miss to get this to work with VO. Even with a Accessibility Team at Google aware of the issues. We have yet to see any improvements or any kind of headway. One can only hope that someday they will make this more accessible.
What's New in Version 1.3.0
- See which of your friends is using Hangouts, and who can be reached right now
- Call phone numbers from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (free to the US and Canada)
- Make and receive calls using your Google Voice number
- Send and receive animated GIFs that play inline
- Hangouts will temporarily turn down your music (instead of stopping it) when you receive an incoming message
This was a very disappointing release by Google. It is now completly inaccessible. You are unable to hear any elements at all. Even with sighted help. None of the pages can be read at all.
What's New in Version 2.0.0 --
Fully-optimized for the iPad, including picture-in-picture video calling
-- Animated stickers that help you share exactly how you’re feeling
-- Record and send video messages up to 10 seconds long
-- Send a map of your current location
You wouldn't think that much of anything was fixed in this recent update. However, that is not the case. This update is very substantial for the VoiceOver community. From what I have seen so far. This appear to be very accessible. That is a total 180 from the versions before. I am still exploring everything in this update. I am able to start a Hangout and send SMS to my friends. I am still trying to figure out how to make a call. So if any of you have found help. Please feel free to leave your comments below. Plus, of any inaccessible issues that you have found.
What's New in Version 2.1.0
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Does anyone experience hangouts crashing on iOS8?
This is a known bug that's been around since the beta stage of iOS. I reported this to apple but if there is a way to report this to hang outs then yeah that would be good
incidentally, this crashes with out voice over, so we are not the only ones this time experiencing the problem.
Yes, it crashes immediately upon opening the app. I have experienced this with iOS 8 and iOS 8.0.2 on an iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s.
Try it with out voice over. I can assure you it will crash as well. Iv'e verified this wiht sighted assistence.
What's New in Version 2.3.0
Support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
Reply directly from notifications.
Groupnames in notifications.
Contact names included in Google Voice Notifications.
Accessibility bug fixes.
What's New in Version 7.0.0
• Hide message content in notifications.
• Accessibility improvements.
• Fixed intermittent delay in video startup.
• Contact names included in Google Voice notifications (Sync contacts setting must be on).
I just started using this app and wanted to know if there's a way to edit your display name. I have an aversion to my last name being shown, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change this. Also, I wanted to change the order messages are displayed in from most recent first to most recent last. Is this possible? Lastly, is there a way once you sync your contacts to see who already has Hangouts, so you can add them without inadvertently pestering those who don't have or want the service?
Any help is much appreciated.
Hello. My brother sent me a link to this app in the app store a few days ago, and it is now residing happily on my iPhone. I've done some things with it, and I am happy to report that all or most accessibility issues seem to have been resolved. At least this is what I found thus far. In addition, I called myself on both my iPhone and land-line phone and the audio quality seems to be very good. Interestingly enough though, my land-line phone's talking caller ID did not sound but my iPhone's did. I might be using this app for a new job as well as for pleasure. So it's a good thing that Google has made improvements.