Description of App
GoodMaps acquires the Sendero GPS mobile apps from Aira, which are now free!
GoodMaps Outdoors is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS app for iPhone. It has all the outdoor navigation features you expect plus unique offerings you cannot get anywhere else, including extra verbosity for blind users.
• Four main tabs are easy to access at the bottom of the screen: Routes, Location (Default), POIs and Settings.
• A unique GoodMaps Outdoors feature: Record a route using breadcrumbs, called Waypoints. No other accessible app has this. You can add these waypoints with the add button or you can shake the phone to create a Waypoint. It also automatically records a point after you have gone a certain distance. These Waypoint routes can be saved for future use.
• The Lookaround Wand in the top right tells you what is around.
• The More Info button gives the altitude and speed.
• Create your own POIs and share your POIs with others or keep them private with a shortcut on the Location page or from the POIs page.
• POI categories are announced with search results and make finding your destination easier.
• Audio tones and vibrations give feedback throughout the app, letting you know about upcoming turns, critical intersection information, and when search is loading.
• A robust route menu includes multiple methods of choosing a destination, from starting with a POI, an address from your contact list, your route history, and many more!
• Settings include many customization options like: vibrations, vision contrast, color settings, and distance units.
• There are announcement options like right, left, clockface or both.
FYI. When I tried to develop a log in and tap on it voiceover could not read the info. I It crush several times.
You've got to be kidding me. We still can't download maps.
And this is why the victor reader trek is still a thing. When will gps app companies learn that we want the ability to download the maps so if we lose cell coverage we can still navigate using the gps receiver. I thought thsendero app it was replacing had offline maps, I could be wrong though. Nearby Explorer was useful because it allowed offline maps.
Check Mosent at large by Jonathan Mosen he interview the 2 people who own it and made free this time. How long who knows.
I'm pretty sure the microsoft map app has the bred crum feature.
I can't remember what the app is called, I've not used it in ages but I'm sure you know the one I mean.
Either way, I hope this app works well for people using it.
I would much prefer offline maps. I have a low data cap by choice, and don't want to chew it up when out for a walk. I'll keep using Nearby Explorer until it finally breaks.
I know that any transition to a new app has to involve letting go of old habits. I like to set my own POI list, and ignore all the stuff on the map unless I want it. In Nearby Explorer, I could have my list, the map's list, both, or neither.
Am I correct in thinking with this app I have no way to turn off POI announcement for items not set by me?
When I use the app, it…
When I use the app, it regularly kicks me back out back to the home screen. Anybody experiencing this? I'm using an iPhone SE 2020 running iOS 15. Ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Since I do not have any account with it, I go to more, sign up. VO does not work when I get to field to sign up. Nothing happens.
POI search results
When searching for a point of interest, after typing what I'm looking for in the field, then tapping on the "search" button, I hear that the 63 mile search was completed. No results are found. Where are they, or what am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Longtime Trek user here. As much as I want to agree re: offline maps, I can't imagine the app would have a fair shot at being free if the Here maps (which is what I believe they're using) were offered for download as part of the app. The free nearby explorer was able to include offline maps because openstreetmap was used, so a hybrid approach might prove useful.
I agree. offline maps would…
I agree. offline maps would be nice, what if I lost gps signal, or sell signal but still needed to travel? What if I wanted to browse another country?
Can I get turn by turn directions to bus stops using this? Also how accurate are the underlying maps that directions rely on?
When it’s available in India appstore
Hi your app is offering lot of useful features for VO users, when its also available in India AppStore?