Today, Apple released OS X 10.10.3 to the public, marking the third major update to the OS X Yosemite operating system.
According to Apple's release notes via iMore, OS X 10.10.3 includes the following new features and changes:
The OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 update includes the new Photos app and improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
With Photos you can:
- Browse your photos by time and location in Moments, Collections, and Years views
- Navigate your library using convenient Photos, Shared, Albums, and Projects tabs
- Store all of your photos and videos in iCloud Photo Library in their original format and in full resolution
- Access your photos and videos stored in iCloud Photo Library from your Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iCloud.com with any web browser
- Perfect your photos with powerful and easy-to-use editing tools that optimize with a single click or slider, or allow precise adjustments with detailed controls
- Create professional-quality photo books with simplified bookmaking tools, new Apple-designed themes, and new square book formats
- Purchase prints in new square and panoramic sizes
It's easy to upgrade your iPhoto library to Photos - just launch the app to get started. To learn more about Photos, please visit: http://www.apple.com/osx/photos/
This update also includes the following improvements:
- Adds over 300 new Emoji characters
- Adds Spotlight suggestions to Look up
- Prevents Safari from saving website favicon URLs used in Private Browsing
- Improves stability and security in Safari
- Improves WiFi performance and connectivity in various usage scenarios
- Improves compatibility with captive Wi-Fi network environments
- Fixes an issue that may cause Bluetooth devices to disconnect
- Improves screen sharing reliability
While we have no definitive information on any accessibility changes in OS X 10.10.3, AppleVis Editorial Team member and mac user Mehgcap noted the following observations:
- The Emoji picker has been redesigned. It is still usable, but is not as easy to use as in previous OS X releases. I'd advise switching to the "large window" before you do anything else. Use the tables to find the item you want, being sure to interact with each table /grid to get at its contents. VO-spacing on any emoji will insert it, but the emoji picker will stay open. You must find the Close button at the top of the window--Escape, enter, cmd-w, and other commands don't seem to work.
- Nuance voice delay is a bit better, and the VoiceOver Utility should no longer be a pain to browse when using any Vocalizer voice. Overall, Vocalizer's response time should be a bit less, if this bug is something that has affected you so far.
- We can't say for sure, but it looks like the problem where VoiceOver would fail to read some PDFs has been fixed. If you find any PDF problems, or find that PDFs you couldn't read in Yosemite so far are now working, please leave a comment.
- If you use the Alex voice, or other Mac defaults like Fred, you may notice the phrase "object replacement character" being spoken before Finder tags, items in "Open Recent" menus, and other locations.
- The bug where using Safari's "Back" command would sometimes result in a page that VoiceOver could not read appears to be fixed. However, the key word there is "sometimes"; this bug may simply be hiding and not truly gone. We are calling it fixed for the moment, but if you encounter it, please leave a comment.
A quick review of the new Photos app shows VoiceOver reading the controls, and able to manage photo collections and groups. Remember that "has alternate items" means you can vo-cmd-space and choose to show those items from the menu, and that in this app, interacting is definitely your friend. Beyond this, however, we have little information, as none of us use Photos enough to provide detailed feedback.
OS X 10.10.3 is available through Software Update or by selecting the Updates tab in the Mac App Store.