Description of App:
Speaking Email reads your email out loud. Simple interface designed to be usable while driving. Next, back, archive, flag, instant reply.
Whip through your inbox, clear clutter, flag important items and make inbox zero a reality - all while on the go.
Designed to be used while driving - handsfree or cradle mounted with minimal touches - compatible with mobile phone usage laws in most countries.
FREE BASIC EDITION
Features listed below with ($) are reduced in functionality in the free Basic Edition. Upgrade to the Premium Edition to get all features.
Skips signatures and disclaimers ($)
- We detect signatures, disclaimers, footers and other clutter and skip over them
- We are continually improving the algorithms for detecting and simplifying email text into speakable language - an essential ingredient for hands-free listening
- There's an option to skip once a reply thread is reached
- Speaking Email is the only app on the market with email signature detection
Works with 95%* of email servers
- Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Outlook.com/Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, iCloud, IMAP and POP are all supported.
- All connections are secured via SSL/TLS
- If you have more than one email account, you can set them all up
*Does not work with AOL or Lotus Notes
Optimised for driving
- It requires minimal interaction, having only one main screen, meaning there is no need to navigate between screens
- There is no way to type replies and no need to ever use the keyboard. Your emails can be continuously spoken, meaning you never need to look at or touch the phone
- If you wish to skip an email, go back, or archive an email, you can easily tap or swipe anywhere on the screen without looking
Accessible for blind users
- Tested by blind and low vision users
- Can be controlled with VoiceOver
Easy to triage your email
- Once you have listened, if no further action is required, archive the email with a double tap
- If it needs action, click the star button to star/flag in your inbox ($)
- Or just swipe to the next email if you don’t want to hear it
- If you don’t do anything, Speaking Email will continue on to the next email
- Speaks HTML emails, not just plain text versions
- A quick glance at your screen gives you the visual context of the email. Images and email content shrink to fit your device screen
- Uses the fantastic built-in system voice (like Siri)
- Speaks in your regional language
- Pauses for phone calls or other interruptions, then resumes
Manage your email your way ($)
- Instead or as well as archiving, the "Archive" button can mark as read and/or move to a folder
- Likewise the "Star" button can optionally mark as read, move to a folder and/or actually star your message
- Option to Mark as Read when spoken
- Speak Unread emails first or only
- Option to speak unplayed emails first or only
- Option to cut off at reply thread
- Option to skip promotional emails
- Customise whether to read out senders, recipients, CCs, dates, use sound effects, slow down or speed up the speaking
Apple Watch Support:
Free or Paid:
Device(s) App Was Tested On:
This app is fully accessible with VoiceOver.
It was a pleasure to work with the app developer to make this app fully accessible! It has come far in accessibility since it first came out. I would recommend trying this app out.